For those of you who bash the Romanian AKM

Hedley

...for being an ugly duckling,

I present to you my newest build. It's a '78 G kit on an NDS-3 receiver. Since I like to keep my furniture options open, I used a RSA gas piston and the G2 trigger for compliance. The furniture is new Polytech. I love the short LOP and the classic look. I took files to all the machining marks before media blasting and polished everything before having the entire gun and a magazine professionally blued.

008ub0.jpg

010is8.jpg

011au3.jpg

Ok, so it wasn't a cheap build, but I wanted something differrent than the normal park or paint job.

CGSteve8718

I think few bash the AIM builds, they are actually trashing a stock WASR. People confuse WASR bashing with all Romy bashing. Still in the grand scheme of things I'd put Romy kits below Polish, Bulgy, Hungy, and Yugo.

Nice rifle.

GATMOG

yeah, its mostly the WASR's people are trashing.. The Romy G kit like yours is top notch for a Romanian :D

Nanuk

I have a Hungarian AMD-65 and a Romy-G that I built on NDS-3 receivers. They both shoot better than my buddies Yugo's built by Century Arms.If their cars were so crappy, why do people feel their guns are any better? Not flaming, just a question....:D

Gewehr98

The WASRs are the Romanian AKs that get a bad rap.

Some folks have WASR rifles that do just fine. Others experience magazine wobble, canted sights and gas blocks, etc. The magazine wobble is a result of the single-stack magwell being opened up by trained monkeys with pencil grinders, plus the lack of magwell dimples found in AKs originally intended for double-stack mags.

Canted sights and gas blocks can be fixed, there are even websites detailing the procedures.

I know of at least a few people who manufactured upper magwell guides to replace the non-existent dimples in their WASR rifles, thereby fixing the magazine wobble problem.

I made an attempt to pretty up my own Romanian SAR-1, but it still got wet and dirty last week during deer hunting. The forecast called for an icky morning, so I took the SAR-1. The deer didn't seem to notice it, I should go out to the freezer and ask him if he had a preference. :D

sar1walnut.jpg

enstorm

I have shot several aks, and all were home builds on Tapco and AK Builder flats. These were a Tantal, Romy G's, Polish underfolders, and, more recently, a Bulgarian 74. Can't comment on WASRs. I haven't tried Yugos, either, because of..., well, because of Yugos. Also, the barrels aren't chrome lined in the kits I've seen.

My only real complaints with the Romy G's are their shoddy wood (its even moldy around the gas tube sometimes) and that at least the one's I've shot absolutely will not reliably feed hollow points at all. The Polish underfolders I have fired handle hollow points just fine, and I haven't seen any yet that had mildewed wood.

In all, the Polish underfolder kits I have seen have superior fit and finish compared to the Romy G's, but the G's can still make perfectly nice rifles, and at about half the cost. With the correct ammo and a bit of tweaking, all the kit built aks I have fired are reliable and fine acurracy-wise for offhand shooting. With the G kits still being in the $120 ballpark, it's tough to bash them.

P.S. Hedley, get some Brownell's red lacquer stick and show of that "G" with pride!

CGSteve8718

I think all Yugos lack chrome lining. The common internet answer for this is because Yugoslavia lacked that mineral. I don't know. The M90/M95 kits out there do have chrome lining though, but I've been trying to find out if that rifle was actually used by the Balkan military/paramilitaries or was it created just for us 5.56 users.