For the CO Crew: More CCW info....

Justin Moore

Released today:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/legislature/article/0,1299,DRMN_37_1039570,00.html

Concealed guns legislation advances

Behind-closed-doors talks boost chances for statewide permit system, some say

By Michele Ames, News Staff Writer
March 20, 2002
Quiet negotiations between legislative leaders produced the best chance in years of getting a statewide concealed weapons permitting system for Colorado.

The issue has ignited debate for the past four sessions as lawmakers opted not to abandon Colorado's patchwork of laws that allowed some sheriffs to issue hundreds of permits and others to deny almost all requests.

Negotiations are still behind closed doors, and the bill Rep. Al White, R-Winter Park, expects to introduce later this week or next isn't a done deal.

"The extreme right and the extreme left are opposed to this bill," White said. "When you have (that situation), it's got to be the right thing to do."

The proposal has the support of House Speaker Doug Dean, R-Colorado Springs, who carried concealed weapons legislation that nearly passed during the 1999 session. That proposal was pulled off the table with all the other gun-related legislation after the Columbine shootings.

Senate President Stan Matsunaka, D-Loveland, is also buying into the new effort and promises he won't send a "common sense" proposal to its death in committee. The Senate already has killed a concealed weapons permit bill this session.

"We have to keep those issues out of it that will polarize it," Matsunaka said. "What we need to do is get good, responsible legislation done and put this to bed."

The proposal being drafted sets up a system in which county sheriffs must issue the permits to anyone 21 or older after they perform a background check and see proof the individual has taken some sort of gun safety training.

It also requires that individuals applying for the permits do so in the county where they live. Some sheriffs have been issuing hundreds of permits to people who live in other counties.

But in one of the major changes to past legislation, the proposal allows sheriffs to refuse a permit if they have documentable proof that the applicant is unstable and should be turned down even though a background check didn't produce a criminal record.

The term comes from the example of police being called to a residence for a person running around naked in the street. Police leave the individual with their family and file a report, but nothing is adjudicated.

People who are denied a permit would be allowed to appeal.

Advocates of a statewide system have long argued that the current situation is unfair.

"We couldn't get this change done with a Republican Senate. It would be incredible if we could do it with a Democratic Senate," Dean said. "The Senate President mentioned to me that we may be able to find some compromise. If they're serious about that, it's a profound shift."

Legislators still are haggling over who will carry the bill in the Senate. White said he intends to stick with his selected sponsor, Sen. Ken Chlouber, R-Leadville. Chlouber's annual attempt earlier this session to pass his concealed weapons proposal failed.

Matsunaka said he would rather see a plan that has bipartisan support, which means a Democratic Senate sponsor. Many believe Matsunaka is holding out to carry the bill himself because he is running in a conservative 4th Congressional District race.

"I've had some people suggest to me it would help me politically. That's not my motivation," Matsunaka said. "My motivation, if I do it, is to see if we can't put this issue to rest."

I can hardly wait to see the bill, and see all the compromises and restrictions that it will impose that the present scheme does NOT ;)

Morgan

We're all trying to decide if this will hold restrictions, creating "easy-victim zones" or not.

Scuttlebutt is that this will pass this year, for better or worse.

Justin Moore

I'm concerned that the Republican side of the compromise will include those 'easy victim zone's' as well. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the text of the bill says.

Thanks for chiming in Morgan!

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Present (but not yet accounted for), JM. ;)

Just back recently from 5 weeks in The Keys & am still "jet-lagged." Arm's still tired from reelin' in all those snook.

Not yet caught up on all the fine points of this 'cept that was good to see SB60 shot down in committee & S's bill passed through The House.

Will be interesting to see what "compromises" come of this & I agree with Morgan in that we'll likely get some form of "victim zones."

"The extreme right and the extreme left are opposed to this bill," White said. "When you have (that situation), it's got to be the right thing to do." This train of thought is so wrong. Many a time the "extreme" point of view is exactly on-target - sort of that "shall not be infringed," or "congress shall make no law" deal. Sad state of affairs when either is taken to be "extreme."

"I've had some people suggest to me it would help me politically. That's not my motivation," Matsunaka said. "My motivation, if I do it, is to see if we can't put this issue to rest."

Liar! Mat-man's my (sigh) Senator & he's a puke. His motivation is most certainly to get this behind them because the issue is an embarassment to both the Dems & Repub - the Dems because they're just scum & the Repubs because Back-Door Owens (The Guv) screwed us for the last few years due to the Columbine fiasco ...

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Having had a chance to catch up a bit, the skinny is that even with the back-room dealing going on, this will likely go nowhere - except to allow all concerned to say that they tried. (sigh)

S's bill will likely get killed in Senate committee.

Just as well. I either want a decent CCW bill or let it stand as it is (which isn't all that bad - except for those who have lousy Sheriffs).