For pocket carry, .38 snubbie in blue or stainless?

vmaam

I've decided to go with a .38 for pocket carry. Should I get it in blue (does it hide better in your dark pocket) or stainless? Pros and cons?

MP-5

IMO a defense pistol should be highly visible. Thus stainless should be your better option. Along with lower maintenance, durability and rust resistant qualities as well as higher resale value, stainless is the way to go. The downside is stainless gun more often than not, dont have the smoothness carbon steel guns possess.

JJR

Besides being more visible as MP-5 stated (a very important feature in a personal defense gun, IMHO) stainless guns also have the psychological effect of looking larger (and therefore more menacing) than a blued gun.

Stealth guns are good for ninja's and Navy SEAL's... not so good when you want to make your intentions very clear in a dark alley.

Besides, if you do it right, no one should be looking into you pocket anyway.

They both shoot the same so you just have to decide what will work best for your situation. Good luck.

Blue Heeler

For pocket carry,.38 snubbie in blue or stainless?

I don't think it makes much difference really,but being a
traditionalist,I prefer blue.Besides that,my Model 36 only
ever came out in that finish (in 1979 anyway).
PS I'm answering this just to get my User Name and password
reactivated.

Lightsped

If it is a standard steel model, go ahead and get the stainless. It does have a more menacing appearence. Of course, you could always get a Stealth Gray version as well. I have both and I really like my snubbies.... :)

my2taurus38s.jpg

ellsworthtoohey

Nice Playpretties!

Go with either one that you prefer. Just remember to clean the blued one with a good CLP every day or two and it will do just fine.

Bt148

Go with stainless, you won't regret it. Stainless is a lot more corroion resistent that blued. It also requires a lot less matinence and will last longer.

bt

Maddock

I prefer the look of blued revolvers, but the finish durability of stainless is hard to dispute. One problem that I have had with some of the stainless small-frame revolvers is that the front sight is stainless. The white, shiny sights are hard for me to pick-up quickly. I need to use paint to make them more easily visible. The paint has to be renewed every few days when I carry a stainless revolver.
By the way - I've carried a blue 442 in a pocket holster everyday for the last six years and while the finish is wearing thin, I've had no problems with rust even in the heat of the Southwest.

HeadHunter

For paint, try white appliance enamel from Home Depot. Comes in a small bottle with brush in cap for about $3. I have found it to be very durable.

Ezeckial

IMHO, weight is the primary factor for pocket carry.
I carry a Taurus 85 Multi Alloy (also called the Ultralite).
I've carried Stainless .38's (also Taurus 85's) and they tend to drag the pocket down.
As far as corrosion resistance, the Titanium/Aluminum Multi Alloy should be as good as stainless.

denfoote

I prefer blue. The weight difference is, or shouldn't be a factor. Stainless is easier to keep up,and is more corrosion resistant, but in the end I think it is just a mater of taste.;)

BigG

If you carry it a lot, you will appreciate the Airweight version. I had the steel ones, including the .357 Model 640, but they tended to remain at home, too heavy to carry in the pants pocket. The airweight will go with you without making it look like you got a brick in your pocket.

EXPLORER

Stainless may be more menancing to the bad guy. It seems logical that it would also appear more menancing to a jury.
I prefer blue for your stated purpose because I prefer to have some element of surprise. Bottom line: both have pros and cons.

Cougar

I vote for Stainless also.

You'll never have to worry about wearing the finish off, and if you should choose to de-horn yours as I did mine (rounding off all sharp corners and edges) all you need is a fine tooth file and have at it. No rebluing necessary!

My stainless .38 snub, a Taurus Mod 85, came before the CH (Concealed Hammer), .357, or Titanium versions came out.

Valdez

Rule 1: all concealed carry guns should be stainless or some other non-rusting alloy or plastic.

Rule 2: all concealed carry guns should be black.

So what do we do? We send them to someplace like Robar to turn the stainless gun black!

I have very good reasons for this rule but basically I've found that the finish protection of stainless is nice and black conceals better.