For MW: Take the High Road, friend

Betty

Folks, I'm trying to get a friend of mine here on TFL; he took his CCW class this past Sunday to the dismay of his parents and his wife. It's not the fact that he's getting a permit that's a problem, it's the fact that he's got a gun and a temper. I've known MW and his parents since I moved to TN in 1991 - he is a very friendly, very kind person that would do just about anything to help a person in need....but.... he has a temper.

Maybe I'm wrong about him. I've never experienced his temper, but I do know what he's told me, and what others have said. His wife told me he was in a road rage incident the other day and threw a glass bottle at the other driver's car and nailed it. Maybe carrying a gun will actually diffuse his temper. It's worked for other people before.

He wasn't around when I discovered he was taking his CCW class, so I wrote "thefiringline.com" on a piece of paper for his wife to give him, along with some words of wisdom. We'll see.

So if he makes it here, I've got some more words of wisdom. Maybe the others here will share their own...

MW, I've known you for a long time. So you've decided to get a carry permit and carry a gun. With any gun comes great responsibility. It requires that you carry yourself with honor and restraint. It requires you to always remember the safety rules and never deviate from them for an instant. The gun is neither your badge of power or amulet of invincibility. The gun is a tool for recreation, hunting, and self-defense.

And when I mean self-defense, it means just that: defending yourself or your loved one in imminent danger of being harmed.

You have a temper. Your parents and your wife know this. They worry. Before you lash out with your tongue, throw bottles at cars, or think about flailing your fists, take a deep breath. It's a beautiful day, friend. Is it really worth it, to end up in jail... or the morgue?

We're not teenagers fighting over teenager things anymore. We're adults, and in the adult world, reality can smack you hard. Be prepared to face the consequences of the actions you take.

Suck in your pride once in awhile and learn some humility. You can be alpha male some other day. Sometimes you're more of a man if you walk away than if you stand and fight.

Pick your fights carefully. A CCW obligates you to retreat from a situation if at all possible. Smile and drive on when another driver takes your parking space. Ignore the person who flips you the finger, because you know you're better than that. Always be the better man, and Take the High Road.

Betty

A TFLer just PMed me, asking if it was wise to post the fact that a person with a temper is getting his CCW. In other words, he believes I'm giving more food for the anti's. It is a valid point.

I thought about it beforehand, but I decided to post it anyway.

Several have already admitted that they've got tempers, but the gun is what keeps them in check.

This is a topic that needs to be discussed here at TFL. I've known MW for a long time. He's my friend and I want him to stay on the right path.

I know him well enough to know that he can be influenced to do the right thing. He is a good person at heart, he just needs to learn to react to situations properly. He needs to learn to look ahead at the consequences of any action he takes.

If we can get one person to change his attitude, than we've benefitted all of us.

edited to add:
No, MW doesn't beat up his wife - his temper is reserved for strangers.

Last edited:

spacemanspiff

an alternative form of anger management (that i routinely employ) is weight lifting. punish the iron. believe me, the iron reciprocates.

Quartus

A good defensive handgunning class (the usual suspects: Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, Farnam, etc.) can be a very good thing for a man with a gun and a temper.

Blackhawk

Buy him a book as a gift.

A particular one.

Make sure he reads it.

It's "Games People Play" by Dr. Eric Berne.

Amazon has it.

About $13-$14 delivered.

trapshooter

Blackhawk...

I haven't seen anyone refer to Berne or T/A in a while, but it's an effective technique for someone willing to admit they may need some fine tuning of thier interpersonal skills.

Runt, I usually avoid this(giving advice on personal issues, even by relay), but Blackhawk made a good suggestion, if the key point of my comment applies.

Hope this helps.

MeekAndMild

Pick your fights carefully. A CCW obligates you to retreat from a situation if at all possible. Smile and drive on when another driver takes your parking space. Ignore the person who flips you the finger, because you know you're better than that. Always be the better man, and Take the High Road.

So true.

Derek Zeanah

Used to have an ex-jarhead friend in debate class who was absolutely against the idea of concealed carry, as he had a temper and was convinced that nearly everyone else did too. Of course, he liked to carry big knives and hadn't carved anyone up...

I tend to be fairly particular about my driving -- used to be very aggressive too, which really freaked my wife-to-be out on occasion. She had no problem when I began to carry, as she noticed immediately that knowing I had a loaded firearm on my hip made me a much more peaceful driver -- instead of responding in kind when someone nearly ran me off the road, I'd make sure I had enough distance between me and all other cars around me.

It is a different way of thinking -- instead of "that guy needs an attitude adjustment," it's "this isn't worth getting into a situation that could escalate into a lethal conflict."

Also makes it easier to stay in condition yellow, but that's a different thread.

Blackhawk

I haven't seen anyone refer to Berne ... in a while, but it's an effective technique for someone willing to admit they may need some fine tuning of thier interpersonal skills.
I've gifted the book to several people over the decades and recommended it to dozens of others. When people have trouble getting along with others due to immaturity or authoritarian attitudes, it saves time and a LOT of meaningless conversation. :rolleyes:

Bud Helms

ROTL,

You kind of put the guy on the spot. If I was he, I would surely not register as MW.;) 'Sounds like you've got the best of intentions, but you really pinned him to the wall in front of, oh, about 15,000+ registered posters, didn't you?

Mike in VA

Heck, I've got a temper. I'm also an adult (most of the time), and I know that throwing, breaking, hitting, or shooting things don't deal with what made me mad ( I usually mumble and cuss for a minute and take a deep breath, or three, or seven). So far, so good.

As you aptly pointed out, the consequences of losing one's temper aren't worth it, and if you give in, you're letting someone/something control your behavior - a most unbecoming position to be in. Besides, you can't beat sense into a fool and even then, the satisfaction of smacking one who badly needs it is fleeting at best. And I can't imagine the horror when the realization of what I had done hits, if I shot someone in a fit of rage.

The only time it's appropriate to respond with a firearm is when you are legitimately threatened with grave bodily injury or loss of life. To me, that's a fear thing, not anger (that comes later, maybe).

Runt, I hope your friend makes it here, takes advantagae of what TFL has to offer, and does some self-inspection. "Games People Play" is a good read, as it "Psycho-cybernetics" by Mathew Maltz. Anger is a normal emotion, but it's how you deal with it that makes the difference. Giving in to it is a waste of energy that could be directed to solving the problem and getting back to happy. Good luck, MW.

Betty

Yes, I put him on the spot. I'm not going to tippy-toe around a serious subject.

"MW, please play nice with others" isn't going to work. He needs the cold, hard facts.

Smurfslayer

RotL sounded worried...

A bad temper runs in my family. By all known accounts, mine is the 2nd worst. Throughout my teens & twenties, angry strings of profanity, launched tools, and the like were not uncommon. Not to forget the mower 'body slamming' incident :mad: (damn thing wouldn't start)

Nevertheless, my parents made sure I knew right from wrong. That's really what it comes down to, when you think about it. I've found that taking a driving class and learning how to drive better, smoother and as a direct result - faster, alleviated my so called 'aggressive driving' habits. I drive aggressively, but only to keep myself away from non driving MORONS ;) I've learned to appreciate how poorly skilled other drivers are now and how I used to be one.

Similarly, I've learned to appreciate firearms classes. Even while instructing, I've picked things up and developed a healthier respect for firearms, use, & carry.

I still get torqued. Less than before, but it happens.

Having been in the Army, and having taken & given some firearm classes, I realize how unalert most people are, how easy accidents can happen, and that the best way to avoid a problem is to not be where the problem is. Knowledge is power.

You just have to remember right from wrong, and use what you've learned as best you can. Losing your cool is worse than being intoxicated or high. Your judgement be beyond impaired and your rational thought processes shut down. If you are in this state, you are an easy target.

Properly used, the absolute best tool of self defense, is the grey matter between the human ears...

HTH

redrum

RotL

Everyone should have a friend like you that cares. MW can register here under another name or just lurk. I hope that he at least reads some of the posts.

As far as the antis reading about this....go ahead...make my day! We are just humans...not robots. But we are able to make intellegent decisions on our own without the need for liberal babysitters. The fact that RotL felt the need to post this thread shows that we are caring people and are concerned for the welfare of others...even the anti's....

my .02.

Hope you are here somewhere MW. Good luck! We are all behind you!

-Redrum

buzz_knox

I've got the capacity for a bad temper which I control (usually) quite well. But the easiest way for me to remain calm? Be around a firearm. Safety is so engrained in me that even if I'm mad or provoked, the presence of a firearm forces me to cool down.

What Runt sez...

But let me add that while we all have tempers, it's how we conduct ourselves when we're :mad: that counts. He who masters not himself cannot master others. Inner peace gives us that mastery. This was an important lesson taught to me years ago.

yankytrash

I've got a temper. Unarmed, I'll throw ya through a wall; armed, I end up walkin away. Somethin about the finality of proper self-defense that keeps outward temper in check. Common sense, I guess.