? for moon-clip revolver owners

seeker_two

One of the criticisms I hear about moon-clip revolvers is that the clips are fragile and easily bent, binding up the revolver. I want to ask those who own these type of revolvers a few questions....

1. How fragile are your moon clips?
2. How often do you have to replace / discard moon clips due to damage?
3. What brand of moon clip have you found most durable?
4. Do you find half-moon clips more durable than full-moon clips?

Thanks in advance.....

Big_T

I've got 3 moon clip revolvers: a 625 Pro (.45 ACP), an R8 (.357), an M&P 340 with a 640 Pro cylinder.

The .45 moon clips from Wilson Combat are thicker and feel durable. The .357 clips are quite thin and I have ruined a few. They are more ammo sensitive. I had to shop around to find some that like my brass. The ones from Ranch Products are good, but thin. I got the 5 round clips from TK Customs. They are as thin as the ones for the R8 but have more metal and are stronger, but slightly ammo sensitive. I've had to chuck a couple of them that bent. I've never tried half moon clips.

Hope that helps,
T.

AKsRul.e

I have a S&W 442 mc .

Only had it a couple months and haven't really used the clips much.

Really only plan on carrying the clips instead of speedloaders. :)

slugoo

On my 45acp shells those are thick and I've never bent one using them in a colt 1917 and a smith 625, I use the pipe puller that you twist. I've got 9mm and 380 that use them and they are much thinner, but I've never mangled one where it wouldn't work. The thin ones are spring steel and can be twisted but when I remove them, I use a 1/4inch wood dowell about 6 inches long and pull them out pretty easy by sticking the dowell into the shell and pulling sideways with the dowell and they pop right out without twisting anything.

Last edited:

mj246

I use a few all steel 45acp full moon clips with my S&W 1917. Only gone through about 150 rounds cycling through five clips, but have never noticed any significant twisting or bending, they're pretty strong. They probably wear out eventually, but I bet it will take a very long time if you use a good tool/s for loading rounds and unloading the empty cases. I don't have any experience with the clips for other calibers.

scotts_4x

They're not as fragile as 90% of the old school revo shooters would like you to believe. You can and will bend them, most likely either loading or unloading improperly, or stepping on one you've dropped on a field course. I think I've got about 1k rounds through my pc 627 with the thin stock clips and have yet to mess one up. I do load them by hand and unload them with a tool. Ymmv.

-scott

sgms

Haven't had any problems with bent clips once I started using a case removal tool. I also carry reloads in a carrier on belt so not bending in pocket carry.

Viper225

I have 4 at the moment.

610 No Dash 10MM/40 S&W
310 Night Guard 10MM/40 S&W
625 45acp/460 Rolland
686-1 Clark Conversion

I also once owned a 9MM SP101

The 10MM and 45 moon clips are fairly sturdy. The 38/357 moon clips are normally .025 thick. You need to use a little more care loading and unloading the 38/357 moon clips. I would also be a little careful carrying them in a pocket without some sort of carrier to protect them.

The SP101 9MM moon clips that came with the gun were built ok. I did however have a problem with rounds coming out of the clips when carrying them in a pocket.

So far I have not ruined any of my clips that I remember.

Good plan to buy a loading tool. http://mooncliptool.com/
The tool is $40 well spent.

I have moon clips from Ranch Products, TK, and Wilson Combat. All have been good.

My next moon clip gun will probably be a 442 PRO #178041.

I have owned moon clip guns for the last 40 years, and I like them. I have owned Webleys, 1917's, 25's, and 625's. I had full moon clips back when you had to have someone weld half moon clips together, if that tells you anything.

Bob

GaryH

I have never used a revolver that shot 9mm or .45acp. Are moon clips needed to shoot autoloader ammo, or are they just a convenience?

For the most part a convenience. The cartridges will headspace on a shoulder in the cylinder if clips aren't available.

They have to be punched out with a dowel or pencil.

Sometimes that works, some times it doesn't. Depends on how much spring there is in the clip. Some will go back nicely, others, once bent, are hosed for good.

ltc444

I bought some safari land moon clips with tool in 1990. Used them for matches and carry. Never had a problem when shooting in my S&W. Still using them.

I did bend a couple when I mis handled them. Placed them on a flat anvil and pushed them back into shape with my fingers. They have worked flawlessly since.

carry in Uncle Mikes speedloader pouchs. The pouches were designed for 45 LC. I stuffed Kleenix in the bottom to elevate them so I can get them out quickly.

Mostly shoot reloads which won't feed in my 1911.

9x19

I don't think the clips are especially fragile, but rough handling can bend one.

I've only bent one that I remember, it was a SP101 9mm clip.

Bart Noir

The clips that work with the Taurus .45 ACP revolver, are noticeably thinner than those for the .45 ACP Model 25 or the older Model 1917s from Colt or S&W. I am not sure how to carry those 5-shot Taurus clips without worry of bending them.

I have no experience with the 9mm Taurus wheelguns.

I can't remember if I have compared the clips for my 9mm Ruger Speed Six or my 10mm S&W 610 to the original Model 1917. If I did, I forgot the results :rolleyes:

Additional bummer about the .45 ACP Taurus: because the clip is thinner, you can't use .45 Auto-Rim rounds in this gun. You can't even get the cylinder shut with an Auto-Rim in the hole.

Bart Noir

shortwave

Using half moons, the only ones I've ever bent was when I had the clips loaded and free in my pants pocket. Bending down,leaning on something etc. can tweak them but generally these could be saved. Not twisted badly.
Simple solution to this problem is do what I should have been doing...carry them in a case.

Or dropped a loaded clip at the range and stepped on it. Not salvageable, too twisted.

I started using RIMZ clips from Beckham Design....They're made of polymer...practically indestructible...hold the cartridges just fine.

Interesting. All the elements you want in a clip.
Will check them out.

Thanks Mike.

WV_gunner

I don't know if it's catching on more, or the local dealers are stocking up on revolvers firing pistol rounds. I've now seen a 9mm, .40 and .380 in revolvers. I think the only way I'd get is if it was cheap or if it was a .45 magnum or possibly a 10mm. I'm not aware of any in .45 mag yet, just .45 ACP.

M4BGRINGO

I had a bent clip on my 610 screw me up one night in a competition. Cylinder closed, or so I thought. It was stuck from a cartridge too far back. Slammed it shut, got two shots off, cylinder now stuck. I opened it, dropped that clip, stuck another one in, was good to go. That first clip was bent. :(

I have used plastic clips on my 625 and was suprised they worked fine. Broke easily outdoors though when shooting in sub-freezing weather.

You need to be careful unloading them, that is when they typically get bent (besides accidentally stepping on them!)

moxie

Mike, Some of the newer 625/325s out of S&W don't allow headspacing without a moonclip. No, or too deep, "shelf" in the chambers.

I've never bent a .45ACP moonclip. The half moon clips can become somewhat loose and one or more rounds can fall out. This never happens with full or 1/3 moon clips. Most of mine are from Ranch Products. The stainless ones are really stout! Ditto on the moonclip tool. Wonderful.