For Fun I've been Shooting My Savage 219 Rifles

wachtelhund1

For just play, I've been shooting my old Savage 219 single shot rifles. I have them in .22 Hornet, .25-20 and .30-30. I've got plenty of ammo for all three. But going to try loading some light weight spitzers in the .25-20 since it is a single shot. Missing one rifle from my collection in .32-20.

44 AMP

Staff
But going to try loading some light weight spitzers in the .25-20 since it is a single shot.

There used to be a 60gr pointed slug in .25cal, but I haven't seen any in ages. IF you've got some, no mechanical reason not to use them in a single shot, but considering the relatively low speed and comparatively short range the .25-20 is typically used at, I doubt the spitzer bullet will give you any significant advantage, or one that justifies the cost.

But, as a fun something to do, to see what happens, by all means, go ahead and enjoy!

wachtelhund1

There used to be a 60gr pointed slug in .25cal, but I haven't seen any in ages. IF you've got some, no mechanical reason not to use them in a single shot, but considering the relatively low speed and comparatively short range the .25-20 is typically used at, I doubt the spitzer bullet will give you any significant advantage, or one that justifies the cost.

But, as a fun something to do, to see what happens, by all means, go ahead and enjoy!

Your correct, but for me these are just fun guns to shoot. I have about 900 .25-20, 75 grain FN jacketed bullets and three different bullet molds for the .25-20. During the years where we had .22 shortages and could not buy any, I shot over 3,000 .25-20 rounds. I was loading them for $.07 per round, not counting the cost of the lead to cast. Depending on the powder, the .25-20 round takes 9 or less grains. These were being shot of of my Marlin 27s pump rifles.

I have a 219 with the .30-30 barrel.

I've been looking for the .32-20 barrel for years now. Apparently there's a better chance of Jesus himself stopping by for beer and pretzels.