Football player gives up Millions to join Army

What a sacrifice. While I can't cite names, he isn't be the first (thinking WW II) and there were many promising jocks who answered Freedom's call. Like the old song goes, "Bless 'em all."

Jamie Young

I believe an NFL guy went into Vietnam and was killed there. And I've used the fact I am self-employed and would lose My business if I went. :(

croyance

What more needs to be said? And from the stats given in the article, combined with his age, it seems like he could have gone on to be a Pro Bowl safety.

BigG

Ted Williams gave up six years of his major league career to fight in WWII and Korea. Also a stud. Maybe woulda beat the Babester in HRs otherwise...

Bob Locke

Sort of restores a little hope, doesn't it?

Good on him, and I hope he becomes a Ranger. Sounds like he's got the goods physically, and I'm pretty sure that most safties in the NFL are pretty much nuts so he qualifies on that count, too! :D

BigG,

Not to quibble, but Williams missed 5 seasons ('42-'44, '52-'53) to military service. And yes, it probably would have been his HR total that Aaron surpassed and not Ruth's had he not missed that time, because he was coming off one of the all-time best seasons in baseball history (1941) when he went off to war.

Let's no forget about Bob Feller.
"The farmboy from Van Meter, Iowa was only 17 when he struck out eight members of the St. Louis Cardinals in three innings of an exhibition game. After this awesome display of pitching, Feller was advised to seek voluntary retirement from high school in order to sign a pro-baseball contract. For twenty years, the teenage phenomena was known as "Bullet Bob" and "Rapid Robert." As a rookie, he struckout 15 batters in a single game, which at that time, was an American League record. In 1940, Bullet Bob became the first American League pitcher to throw a complete game no-hitter on opening-day. At age 23, his career was interrupted by his four-year enlistment in the Navy. Upon entering the Navy, Feller became an anti-aircraft gunner aboard the U.S.S. Alabama and came out a highly decorated war veteran. He then re-entered the majors to regain his dominance on the mound. Even though his military career consumed four prime baseball years, Feller ranks 28th in history with 266 wins. He remains the Indians all-time leader in shutouts (46), strikeouts (2,581), innings (3,828), and All-Star appearances (8). To this day, baseball historians speculate that Bullet Bob might have won 350 games and recorded nearly 3,500 strikeouts had he not joined the military. In 1962, this bullet hit the bulls-eye with an induction into the Hall of Fame.
Ted Williams was, I believe, a fighter pilot in the Marine Corp. and actually flew combat missions. I know he was involved in a crash during his military career.

Paul K

Wow.

I cant beleve he turned down an interview.
He DISERVES an interview, and a pat on the back.
This pleases me greatley. I wish him the best.

P.Henry JR

SodaPop,

The name you're looking for is James Robert Kalsu who was the only American professional athlete to die in combat in Vietnam. He had played offensive line for Oklahoma from 1964 to 1967 and was drafted by the Buffalo Bills. Played one season starting 9 games. He had went through ROTC during college and instead of findling a slot in the reserves (which most pro athletes were able to do when called up)Bob went on active duty. Trained at Fort Sill, OK and left for Vietnam just before Thanksgiving of 1969. On July 21, 1970, he died during an attack on Firebase Ripcord leaving behind his wife Jan, daughter Jill and son Bob, JR (born July 23, 1970).

This information I have from the July 23, 2001 issue of Sports Illustrated when they did a cover story about Lt. Kalsu. (The only reason I happened to save that issue).

TangoRomeo

Good call SodaPop. You're a little quicker on the trigger than I am! I well remember watching Bob play for the University of Oklahoma, as I was in high school at the time. I was stationed at Bien Hoa, RVN in July 1970 when we received the bad news. I can remember sitting in the stands during his high school days and watching him punt the ball almost the entire length of the field during warmups. Great player, great man, great loss.-TR

paratrooper

Let's not forget Roger Staubach . He could have bailed out of Annapolis but didn't . Went over and did a tour with the "Brown Water Navy" .

swingset

The fact that he turns down the chance to be deified or laughed at by the media tells you tons about his character and motivation.

That's the guy your kid should look up to, not the bloated egomaniac that stays in the game and makes $40million.;)