Follow-up on Ghostring sights !

Now that I think I understand the pros and cons of Ghost rings:) Can someone tell me if a moderate do-it-yourselfer can put this sight on a Mossberg 500 or would it require the services of a gunsmith?

Should I try it??? Thanks Ted

Incognito

Take it to a gunsmith, unless you have adequate tools to properly and absolutely center both sights with the bore, plus the drill press & bits, and screw taps (for the rear), and epoxy or silver solder for the front. Not a DIY job, imo.

Scattergun Bob

Tahitian

It's a bit difficult to get this job right. the relationship of rear peep to front post has to be dead center perfect. With out the correct fixture this is a difficult task, but not impossible. High Temp Silver solder almost always destroys barrel finish. One work around for the front sight is to use a barrel banded front sight. Here is a site to see an example.http://www.xssights.com/store/shotgun.html

Overall I agree with electrikladyland, unless this is something that you are willing to spend time and money learning for future use, let a good gunsmith have the headache.

Good Luck on your project, and Stay Safe

Ghost Rings

Thanks for all the information. I do not think that I should try to do it myself..I was hoping that that there would be a simple 'Clamp-on device' :rolleyes: But now I see that the proper and necessary pres ion requires a professional! So again thanks for all the information even though it shows me my limitations.:)
thanks Guys. Ted

Tenshi

mossbergs and some remingtons have their receivers drilled and tapped and its merely a matter of getting the ghost ring sight kit and screwing it on... the front sight, however, has to be welded to the barrel, or you can buy a barrel that already has the front sight on it.

Lee Lapin

Mossberg offers 500s from the factory with ghost rings. By the time you buy the sights and get them installed, you'd be most of the way towards paying for the 500 with factory sights on board.

Just sayin...

lpl

bigghoss

I do believe there are a couple companies that make a DIY non-permanent GRS set. I think XS might be one of them.