Focal Plane, Magnification, and Mil Dots

Tucker 1371

Hey y'all, I have a Leupold Mk4 LR/T 4.5-14x50mm scope with a standard Mildot reticle. I am trying to figure out what magnification it has to be set to in order to properly use the mil dot ranging method. I can't find squat using my Google-Fu, even on Leupold's website. The scope's instruction manual doesn't specify which magnification I have to use either.

taylorce1

Do the mil-dot get bigger or smaller in your scope while changing magnification? If they do then you have a first focal plane scope and it doesn't matter what you have the power set on to use the mil-dots, they are correct regardless of magnification.

If your mil-dots don't change with magnification then you have a second focal plane scope. The mil-dots will be correct on the max magnification or in your case 14. This is pretty much the standard for all second focal plane scopes.

Jimro

Well, you could contact Leupold and ask.

Or next time you are at the range, tape a ruler to the 100 meter target.

Adjust your scope until the mil dots measure exactly 10 centimeters on the ruler. Mark that magnification power.

If your range is yards, and you like inches, use a ruler and mark your scope when the mil subtents 3.4 inches, or one dot covers 11/16ths of an inch.

If you want a bigger thing to measure, at 100 yards, cut a bright strip of tape 33.75" long. When the tape is covered by either the horizontal or vertical 10 mil subtensions, you are on.

Hope this helps.

Jimro

AllenJ

If your scope is Second Focal Plane it'll typically be on the highest setting, 14 power in your case. With that said be sure and test as Jimro says to make sure.