Fobus holsters?

I'm looking at purchasing a Fobus holster for my Taurus MIL-PRO 40, from what I see on their website, they look well made and comfortable. I'm looking at the compact paddle holster for concealment. Does anyone have experience with Fobus holsters, any opinions on them? Are these a good choice?

The other holster I have considered is the gunmate cordura pancake belt holster, they are only about $20. Are these any good, or are they junk?

Scott Conklin

The only holster I have ever been able to stand is a Fobus. Have the paddle types for my 1911's and I actually use them. Before that, for 20 years, I'd buy a holster, wear it a couple times and then back to carrying whatever in the back of the pants. Holster wound up in a box, forgotten and eventually traded off.

Can't say enough good things about Fobus...except that if you are looking for pretty you should keep looking. Fobus is purely utilitarian and "pretty" don't enter in to it.

choochboost

They are not well made but might last, as with anything cheap. They are plastic not kydex, and can be broken easily by hitting it on the side of a door, or something like this: http://video.thegunzone.com/video//gungrab.mpe Some complain they cause more than usual wear on the pistol. They make great range holsters or bedside holsters (that's where mine lives). If you want quality at a reasonable price, consider a G-Code holster: http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/GCODEBELT G-Code holsters come with a lifetime warranty, height adjustable paddle or belt, your choice of straight drop or forward cant, shirt/sweat guard, glossy polished interior to reduce wear, and come in black or OD green.

pipoman

My wife loves her 1911 Fobus paddle. I bought one for my J-Frame and it takes both hands and both feet to get the gun out of the holster, no adjustment. I bought a single paddle mag holster my wife bought a double mag holster. My holster will allow the mag to drop out if turned upside down hers will retain loaded mags if inverted. IMO you should try it before you buy it.

choochboost

Not every Fobus holster fits the pistol the same...even the ones made for the same gun. Some hold the pistol extremely tight and are very difficult to draw from, but not all. My bedside Fobus holster fits very nice - its secure, but easy to draw from. They tend to loosen up over time, but will get to the point that you will want to replace it. Fobus holsters traditionally do not come with an adjustable retention screw, but now some of the newer models do feature them. I agree with pipoman that you should try it out first to make sure you like the fit.

doggscube

My Fobus wore a little finish off one spot on my Kimber's slide. I could have been dust between the plastic and metal.

Also, my Galco leather holster holds my gun closer to my body, so I prefer it for that reason. My Fobus fills the need for the ability to remove the holster easily.

-Jeff

JSalcedo

My fobus effectively stripped the finish of my 1911. The paddle design
makes the gun stick out too far from the body (makes it looked like a canned ham under a loose shirt).

I liked that you could adjust the gun's angle and comfort wasn't bad but I had to stop using it because I was "made" a few times.

j1132s

I was using a Fobus at an IPSC shoot and somebody commented that they are slow holsters. He suggested heating it w/ a blowdryer... I may try that one day.

Phxdog

I have a Fobus paddle holster and a Fobus belt holster for a USP45. I really like the way the gun rides in both of them. I don't carry all day, and don't know if that would make any difference. But for hiking, around camp, to the range, etc., it is a very comfortable holster. It's NOT a very concealable gun/holster package.

I hate to think of how much money I have spent on different holsters over the years. Too many end up collecting dust. One nice thing, if you don't like it, you won't have payed $150+ for it!

Guy B. Meredith

I have a Fobus for my M66 which is serviceable, but I would like to have the adjustable tensioner screws found on other makes (Blade Tech?).