Fnx 45, 10 or 15 shot?

black mamba

I am interested in buying an FNX 45, but haven't had the opportunity to handle either one. Anybody who has, what are your impressions of the ergos of the grips? I know the 15-shot is 11 oz. heavier than the 10-shot, but can you really feel the difference, and is recoil significantly lighter? Is feeding any more reliable from one to the other? Any other impressions would be greatly appreciated.

TunnelRat

I know the 15-shot is 11 oz. heavier than the 10-shot, but can you really feel the difference, and is recoil significantly lighter? Is feeding any more reliable from one to the other? Any other impressions would be greatly appreciated.

I might be missing something here, but to my knowledge the only difference between the two in what you're describing is the capacity of the magazines. The pistols would be the same in weight and size, the magazines the same in weight and size (albeit mechanically limited) and the only difference would be 5 extra rounds of 45 ACP. No way 5 rounds of 45 ACP adds up to 11 oz.

For a double-stack .45, the ergos are surprisingly good and the pistol is fairly lean. Still, it is a double-stack .45. I had a little trouble thumbing the magazine release without changing my grip.; but I have small hands.

tahunua001

3/4 of a pound is a huge difference when it comes to handguns. with that said, I do not like DA/SA guns and am not overly partial to hammer designs, but I would still have no qualms about picking up an FNX. the FNS, that's a different story. but for the price point, FNX is not a bad way to go.

black mamba

TunnelRat, the 11 oz. heavier is what is listed in an online seller's description of the two pistols. The 10-shot is listed at 22 oz. while the 15-shot is listed as weighing 33 oz. I'm sure that both weights are unloaded.

jmr40

Advertised weights are quite often incorrect, even on manufacturers web pages. This is the same gun? If the only difference in the magazines I can't see how there could be a noticeable difference in weight.

tahunua001

unless one is compact and one is not, then they should be the same weight. the only difference with capacity is....wait for it... the magazine capacity. so either the gun weights are listed loaded, in which case the 10 vs 15 may have some sense to it, or they are two different sized pistols.

Wyosmith

As a rule I like FN products, but to be honest, I have been a bit under impressed with the FNX 45s. I have had 3 come through my shop and I do not think they are as well made or designed as the Springfield XD, or the Sig 320 or 250.

I have had minor repairs to do on the three FNXs and other than doing trigger jobs on the XDs I have never had to repair one of them.

As of this writing, I have never had to do ANYTHING to a SIG 250 or 320

black mamba

No, the pistols are both the same size. It must be an error on the seller's web page. I thought 22 oz. sounded too light for a full size 45. Thanks for setting me straight. I'll just have to see if I can find one locally to handle for myself.

TunnelRat

I've owned an FNP and an FNX and really like both of them, but to be fair I didn't have large round counts through either. The thing to check with the FNX-45 is the sheer size of the grip. 15 rds of 45 ACP is a lot and it is noticeable. With the flat backstrap it does work for my hands though, which are on the small side of medium.

dontcatchmany

I have the fnx 45 as well as the fns 40 and the fnx 40.

I do not carry them on a daily basis however except maybe in the winter owb. They reside beside my bed or in my vehicles.

The 45 has 4 15 round magazines.

All are exceptional weapons...actually took the 40s to the range today and man they felt good.

I have never considered a smaller magazine and have no reason to.

I've rented and shot the FNX-45 standard and tactical versions, and concluded:

1. It's a really precise and soft shooting gun with best-in-class capacity. In loved shooting it at the range, and with a suppressor, it's a *****cat.
2. It's also a fat pig of a gun. I could shoot accurately with my small hands, but not comfortably - I had to shift my grip quite a bit with each string, and I can't even fathom concealing it. The dimensions on paper really don't capture how big it is in your hands.
3. That said, I'm 5'6" tall. #2 probably is a non-issue if you've got Johnny-Benchian, steam-shovelly Truckasaurus hands.

tipoc

Big4Freedom

Mamba- I was on fence between fnx and sig 227 tactical and went with sig tactical a year ago. It's worth a look, before u buy, even if u decide to stay with fnx. 10 or 14 rds of .45. Feels great in hand and has the recoil comparable to a 9mm, IMHO. Couldn't be happier with my choice. Works well suppressed too. When I held fnx, it left me a little flat.