FNP 45

NYPD13

Been looking for some time now to add a polymer pistol in 45ACP to the collection. While waiting for an XDM in 45 to appear I happened to run across a FNP 357 in a local store the other day and I was very impressed. I can't find anything I didn't like about that FN pistol (other than caliber). Does anyone own the 45 version and if so hows your experience with the piece. Odds are I'll have to order this pistol sight unseen therefore I would appreciate any feedback before I buy. I check on my area dealers inventories monthly and this was the first time I've ever seen an FNP. Awesome gun so I'm surprised I havn't seen it more often.

EnoughGUN

FNP

I have an FNP .45, LOVE IT. It is fun to shoot, fits my hand perfectly, looks great, built like a tank and performs perfectly. I actually disliked the .45 caliber round before I bought the FNP. IT turned me around.

rsxr22

i like the FN's, it would be good to hit a gun show or something first and feel the .45 because the grip is HUGE, Similar design to the HK USP, but bigger.

predecessor

The FNP-45 IS a big gun -- it doesn't fit as well in my hands as a standard mid-sized frame but it is well built and performs well. The size in this case is it's advantage.

If you are not a brand snob, another sleeper in .45 ACP is the Taurus PT-845.

EnoughGUN

fnp

I hear a lot of people comment on the size of the grip. I think it is an illusion. The grip is very blocky but not really that big around. I have small hands, not like the Burger King commercial small or anything but I am only 5'10" and at best average in size. The FNP 45 grip is very comfortable for me. It does feel sort of big but not in a bad way. It feels more "substantial" then BIG in a good way like it is saying " you are holding something very powerful and substantial, point me at something you want to go away"

litework

I have an FNP 45, and I like it a lot. With the flat backstrap, the FNP's grip isn't any larger than the HK USP. The recoil is very light and the gun isn't snappy at all. The trigger is nice, with a smooth break, and a relatively quick reset. If you think you're going to put a lot of rounds through the gun, the rails on the frame are easily replaced-though I have no idea how expensive they are. The gun is a winner.

ReNtaPiG

I'm NOT a fan...when compared the its lil brutha it's like a night and day difference.

I don't like the slide release setup, the decock/manual safety...and yes it is quite large and bulky...I guess that's why I ended up with the FNP-9 instead...now THAT model I love :)

predecessor

It does feel sort of big but not in a bad way. It feels more "substantial" then BIG in a good way like it is saying " you are holding something very powerful and substantial, point me at something you want to go away"

Great description EnoughGUN -- that's exactly how I feel. :D

johnbt

I've had an all black FNP-45 USG for a few months and it's a great gun. It looks bigger in the pics than it really is - although it is a full sized pistol nodoubtaboutit.

The grip is the perfect size for me and I used to think the 1911, BHP and CZ-75B grips were the perfect size. Now I think they're just a leetle small. A tad as it were.

John

gwnorth

It's really not any larger then any other 4.5" barrel, full size frame polymer double stack .45acp pistol. Lay one out on the counter next to a similar model M&P, HK, Glock 21, Taurus full size 24/7 or full size XD .45 and the FNP-45 is not drastically larger in any dimension.

It's pretty hard to fit 14 rounds of .45acp into a grip that is not on the large size. A full loaded FNP-45 also weighs in at 41.8oz (mine does at least - a matte stainless model, currently loaded with 185gr Winchester silvertips), so it is not a light weight pistol by any means.

I am not a big guy and I have the hands of a typicla 5'6" 150lb male, and I can handle my FNP-45 just fine (although admittedly, I would not want anything much larger in trigger reach then it). And it is a very sweet shooting pistol, soft easy to control recoil with little muzzle rise. Cleaning is a breeze (takes down like a SIG, and has a captive recoil spring).

Mine is a range and HD pistol, and it is perfect for those uses. I would not consider it as a carry piece, mainly because of the weight.