FNP 45...advice needed!

IM_Lugger

This gun recntly cought my attention, I always liked the look/design of FN handguns and now I'm thinking of selling my M&P9 to fund the purhcse of the FNP45.

The problem is, I've never handled one and they aren't common here at all so I'd have to buy without trying it out if I do (I know never a good thing). I understand it has removable backstraps, but how big is the grip? is it ergonomic? I HATE the feel of HK USP .45 and the Glock 21 but M&P9 fits me great! (never handled the .45 version) Does the FN have a square grips like those two guns or is it more like M&P?

Also any reason not to buy this gun? any knows problems with it? or things I should know before I buy. ...and finally is it worth selling my M&P which I'm quite fond of?

Thanks!

ps: if you have pics of the gun esp with other guns for size comparasin feel free to post them here :)

hkkilla

FNP 45 is Amazing

Dude, BUY IT NOW!!! Haha, on a serious note, do you know much about the weapon and company? FN makes 70% of the guns for our military, and the quality of the FNP line is nothing less. I was in a dilima last month with this gun or a USP 45. I ended up getting a GREAT deal on the USP and didnt look back, and I must say that having shot both now, all in all it is a tie. The FN 45 is a grreat shooter, feels amazing in your hand, more accurate than the shooter, but the USP wins in weight and size, the FNP is very thick. oh, and the FNP holds 15 rounds! I was never a fan of the M&P line at all, so my vote is to sell it and get the FN. You will not regret it. Plus, if you get the USG model, you will get a holster, mag holder and training barrel free. You will love this .45

hkkilla

Ooops

Just saw your other questions. The FNP has a grip comparable to the USP and wayyy better than the G21. You can change out the size of your backstraps though, they give you 2 to choose from. If you have any questions you should head over to the FN Forums, they really know their stuff.

IM_Lugger

I'm thinking of selling M&P because I have another 9mm and since FN is plastic I'd have to sell a plastic gun to get it...one is enough for me. I prefer metal framed guns ;)

anyone has any pics so I can get a idea how big the gun is? I'm guessing the same size as G21?

litework

Here's a picture of my FNP 45 next to my USP 45 F for comparison. The grip is a little narrower on the FNP than the USP when you use the flat backstrap. I actually prefer and use the arched backstrap.

DSC00477.jpg

J.Netto

I've posted similar comments about the FNP .45 in other threads about how much I want one. I handled one at my local shop here, and fell in love with it. I really want one. It feels great in the hand, and holds more rounds than my 21SF but doesn't feel as bulky, or fat. I was really impressed. I must have one....:D

Hunley

+1

I can't get this gun out of my head, either. I want one of the USG models so bad I can taste it. Gonna have to wait a while though.

ECHOONE

The reviews are great on the FN the only bad thing mentioned on it were the sights..... way to small, they suggested if you buy one the first thing you'd want to do is get a good pair of sights put on it! Now I don't know to much about FN's or what manufacturers make sights for them? would hope most major companies make sights for them so wouldn't really be a problem! the only other draw back review mentioned was getting a holster for it,not to many people make them,Bladetech was one of the few....................3-4" groups @ 25 yds from bench rest is accuracy I read.

litework

EHOONE said:
The reviews are great on the FN the only bad thing mentioned on it were the sights..... way to small, they suggested if you buy one the first thing you'd want to do is get a good pair of sights put on it!

I cannot comment on any other pistol in the FNP line-up, but the FNP 45's sights are no smaller than those found on other pistols I have in the FNP's class. The sights are very large.

tjhands

I liked mine but my thumbs-forward grip wasn't comfortably compatible with the thumb decocker on the gun. It hit the proximal joint of my strong hand's thumb wrong. Also, as has been reported by many FNP-45 owners, it had trouble with WWB ammo in the mags - very odd. Overall, a great gun.

Here are the first 90 rounds I put through it at 17 yards. It was December, so I went for a Christmas tree pattern. LOL, I'm kidding. ;)

Christmas08-1.jpg

Jeffdg

thoughts re: fnp45 based on my experience with an FNP9

I have had an FNP9 for over two years now and it's a fabulous gun. Shot over 3500 rounds without a single jam. Great value with three mags (isn't there a special going on?). It's a great design similar to SigSauer, super easy to break down and has an extremely balanced feel.

It's hard not to recommend the gun, but I'll give the only two cons I have:

1. recoil is pretty snappy. For a defensive gun, no problem. But if you're thinking about IPSC and what have you, there are more suitable production guns (albeit for more money).

2. single action trigger. Once in SA mode, I prefer a two-stage single action trigger so you actually can feel where it's going to break (like the CZ DA/SA guns). The FN series don't have that... again, just a preference.

I've had no issues with the sights - they're great - might consider the tritium sights (mine are tradition white dot).

sigman1965

i have the fnp9 and i must say it will eat any ammo i put through it. and do it well. and the trigger is as good as my sig p22o acp.45. fnp makes great weapons. thats why there flooded over in iraq with our troops.

Last edited:

REWTX

I have a FNP-45 that has been flawless with any type of ammo including WWB. I have smaller hands and have no problems with the size of this pistol. Its recoil is lighter than my 1911s and my P220. The sights on mine are not small.