FN pistols?

dyl

Hey all, just curious: What are polymer FN pistols known for? What do they bring to the table that is a bit different than Glock, M&P or CZ?

I see them on sale all the time and they seemed to just come out of nowhere.

Longhorn1986

I own two of their pistols: FNX-45 & FN 509. Both are very high quality firearms.

The FNX-45 is a very accurate, soft shooting 15+1 .45 ACP pistol. Can't think of another with that capacity in that caliber.

The 509 has been very reliable and comfortable to shoot. 17+1 9mm capacity with an optional 24 round magazine. Very reliable and easy to carry.

I carry both pistols with confidence.

All my shooting buddies who have never shot an FN have been impressed with both.

If I were to go with another manufacturer for a non-1911 pistol, CZ would be next choice.

I also have an FN SLP Mark I shotgun. It is on par with a Benelli M4, but for significantly less cash.

I see you're in Ohio. I spent from 2000-2010 in Willoughby, NE of Cleveland. If I hadn't moved back home to Texas, I'd invite you by to give mine a test run.

Last edited:

dyl

Longhorn1986, thanks for the virtual invite, those look to be very high capacity, especially the 45. I'd have brought my CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical to our hypothetical range trip.

Longhorn1986

I really don't think you can go wrong with either a CZ or FN. They might not be the sexy, mass market pistols that Glock or Sig are, but they just shoot!

As far as our virtual range trip.... Ya know, we could meet somewhere in Tennessee. That's about halfway!! :D

FAS1

The FNX-45 Tactical makes a great accessory host and very capable "don't wake the baby gun".

a0f0533df7cad5e8ae4e7e172770c26d.jpg

The FN 509 Tactical does the same in a 9mm version.

7c295b03ba1c2a1ff1f4404ee309b96c.jpg

btmj

About 7 years ago I decided I wanted a DA/SA hammer fired gun (all of my pistols were either striker fired Glocks, striker fired Walthers, 1911s, or revolvers). I also decided I wanted at least one 40 SW handgun. I looked at several, and it came down to a choice between the and Sig SP-2022 and the FN FNX-40. I thought the FNX-40 was the nicest.

It has become one of my favorite pistols. A little too heavy for everyday carry (for me in my situation - others are different), the heftiness really soaks up the 40 caliber recoil, especially when shooting the hard hitting 165 grainers. My wife decided it is the pistol she is most comfortable with, so it has become the de facto home defense pistol for her.

A few years later, I bought an FNX-45, which is a larger pistol. It is about the maximum size pistol I can shoot effectively with my hand size, but I really like it.

Overall, the FNs have a great feel, great ergonomics, top notch accuracy... highly recommended.

Catchabullet

I've shot most of the FN pistols as I used to work at a local range.... I can honestly say I don't care for their polymer variety (never will trash a BHP), minus the 5.7... that is an interesting one that I'd consider buying even if the ammunition is odd and not common to find. on another note, I recall a border patrol agent coming in and telling me and my coworker about how his fnp 45's pistol grip heated up in the sun to the point of being soft while it sat in his car. I'm not sure of the legitimacy of this claim as I did not see it myself but.... something to think about I guess?

Walt Sherrill

Catchabullet said:
I recall a border patrol agent coming in and telling me and my coworker about how his fnp 45's pistol grip heated up in the sun to the point of being soft while it sat in his car.

There was a STINK raised on the 'net a year or two ago about an FNP-45 that had a grip that went SOFT. I don't remember it being caused by heat, but that was a long time ago. The gun in question was discussesd on the FN Forum, where I'm a participant. At least ONE SUCH CASE of soft grip did happen. Photos accompanied the tale. It didn't melt, but it was a very soft grip. It may have been soft before it got hot, but the poster didn't mention that.

In any event, FN-America replaced the grip frame
, but the folks posting the info continued to post and complain on other forums it. It appears that something was wrong with that particular frame (a production problem) and it slipped through quality control. I suspect, however, that if a frame was softened by heat, it should have hardened somewhat when it cooled down. The one on the net stayed soft.

I've not heard of this sort of grip problem happening elsewhere with any gun.

One member of the FN Forum, a retired LEO who dislikes Glocks -- said he had heard, from a person he trusted, of a Glock frame that had melted (or significantly softened) as the result of being left on a picnic table. After doing a little research about the polymer used in most gun frames -- nearly all gun makers use their own proprietary form of Nylon 6 (which Glock uses) or Nylon 66 -- I found that it doesn't melt easily.

Nylon 6 begins to melt at 457 degrees, and Nylon 66 melts at around 500 degress. A picnic table surface would have had to get up to almost 500 degrees to cause it to soften or melt the Glock's frame. I question whether a wood or metal picnic table would ever get that hot just setting out in the sun.​

That said, I wouldn't intentionally leave a semi-auto on a picnic table unattended, and if it were that hot a day, I doubt I'd be setting at a METAL picnic table in the fist place, as their benches are generally metal, too! :)

On a hot day, if I were in a car, the air conditioner would be going or the windows and/or doors would be open. I certainly wouldn't leave an handgun unattended in the passenger compartment of a car -- it would go into the locked trunk which would be a lot cooler.

Info on the internet says that the temperature inside a sealed car in the daytime can get up to 70+ degrees higher than the outside temperature, and do it pretty quickly.​

If the temperature was as low as the high 70's, or over 100, that would be enough heat to harm a child or a dog, but it would take one helluva hot day to melt a gun frame.

Last edited:

btmj

I agree with you Walt.... more food for thought: One of my AR-15s has a simple plastic fore handguard. I have shot that thing until it is smoking hot... literally smoking the lubricant out of all the nooks and crannies. After 120 rounds in 90 seconds, the barrel is so hot that a drop of water dances and sizzles like on a hot griddle. I am certain the inside of that plastic handguard is radiantly heated to the same temperature as the barrel, probably 375 degrees*. The cheap plastic $15 handguard survives this no problem. There is just no way a car interior can get as hot as the space between that rifle barrel and the handguard.

* The temperature where a drop of water "dances" on a hot grill surface is about 375.

Catchabullet

I agree it was a suspect story and never stated it as fact. On another note, I live in AZ and the ambient temperature can get as high as 118 in the summer. So that’s fun.

Walt Sherrill

The FNS is a striker-fired version, similar to the hammer-fired FNX which shares some mags and barrels.

The FN509, which was developed for the recent US military pistol competition is very similar to the FNS models, with many shared components.

I have an FNS-40 (for which I purchased a 9mm conversion barrel and a couple of 9mm magazines, so it can shoot either 9mm or .40). I also have an FNS-40L, which is a longer version of the same gun, and an FNS-9c, which is a compact version; it is also available in .40. The FNS-40 is similar in size to the Glock 19, and the FNS-40L is similar to the Glock 17. (The FNS-9/9L/40/40L all use the same frame.

Unlike the FNX line, there is no .45 version of the FNS.