FN FNP-9 or Walther P99 SA?

Fishbed77

I'm having a tough time making up my mind between these two for my first 9mm pistol. I've ruled out the Glock 17 and Springfield XD (don't like the feel of them) and the S&W M&P (don't like the trigger at all).

I love the ergonomics of the Walther . It just feels perfect in my hand, and the fit and finish look the best of any polymer gun I've seen. I also like the decocker location. Around here, they are going for around $600. I'm a little wary about parts and extra mags for it - looks like they are really expensive.

The FN also feels pretty good in hand, I like that it comes with 3 mags, and I've read nothing but glowing reviews of it. I also love that it's manufactured in my hometown of Columbia, SC. The best price I've seen abound here is about $535, including the $50 FN rebate (everyone on the internet says they run well under $500, but I haven't seen any around here anywhere close to that price).

What do you folks think?

IMightBeWrong

I like the walther more, although the external hammer on the FN is a nice feature. The FN is also extremely light, lighter than a Glock even, because it uses very little metal. For example, the barrel is much thinner than on most pistols competing with it. The ergonomics of the P99 are outstanding, though, hence me liking it a bit more.

WVsig

The FNP-9 should be a $450 gun before the $50 rebate. Buds sells them for the mid $400s. I heard they are selling for about $379 from one of the large distributors. So The $450 range is a fair price for both buyer and seller.

There was a time you could get them for $400 or less OTD. At that price they are a great value. They are not the best gun on the market but in the $400 range you could do a lot worse IMHO. They are well built. I find the DA trigger a bit stiff and the SA is not as smooth as some but for the money it is a great value.

I would also check out the Sig Pro 2022. Another great value in a 9mm polymer.

Fishbed77

How many mags does the P99 come boxed with? I've heard conficting numbers. Does anyone know where I can find a list of what comes packaged with the gun? The Walther America website has surprisingly little info.

zombieslayer

I'd get the Walther. I love mine. I already posted an answer to what's in the box with a new one. FN build good quality stuff also, but I've had the unpleasant experience of having to deal with their CS guy Bob Ailes. He's a jerk.

rigby06

I have owned both at one time or another both are good guns. My walter only came with 1 mag, but from what I understand it takes the SW99 mags, so find aditional mags should not be a problem :)

DAdams

p99

My P99AS 40 came with two mags and three grips.
I found magazines at CDNN at $15 each and got a free nylon mag holster.
The SW99 magazines interchange. You may not always find the round count you want and occasionally they run out of 9. Check back, they will have them eventually and have the best price.
Search google for "p99 review", the first one to come up is usually one from pfoa. Excellent review. Ergonomically there is nothing like a p99 and the AS trigger setup is outstanding. DA/SA with a decocker. AS is what Walther terms anti stress and the trigger is smooth out of the box. The other unusual aspect..21 ounces. 13 rounds of 40 is for me but I debated long and hard on a
A SW MP 9 pro would be an alternate for me and it gets the PC treatment, I give it a "best buy".

Last edited:

Fishbed77

FYI - took advantage of our state's tax-free firearm weekend and got a P99 on Black Friday! Only shot a few clips through it so far, but I've got a feeling I'm going to like it a lot!

AcridSaint

The FN is also extremely light, lighter than a Glock even, because it uses very little metal. For example, the barrel is much thinner than on most pistols competing with it.

The FN is more than two and a half ounces heavier than the G17. Having both a G19 and an FNP-9, I can say that I have not noticed a significantly thinner barrel. As a matter of fact, they are so similar that if I am cleaning both at the same time, I have to look twice to be sure which barrel I'm trying to assemble into which slide.

fastbolt

Well, the Walther 99 series has been in use, tested and has benefited from some occasional revisions and refinements over the course of a number of years. I'd consider it a "tested" design and platform.

Of course, I do acknowledge some potential bias toward it since I've been through the S&W 99 armorer class 3 times, I've carried an issued SW9940 for a few years and I own a couple SW99's, as well. I've fired a few ten's of thousands of rounds through them, and other 99's, over the years. My own SW999c has had more than 10,000 rounds fired through it, and I know some other firearm instructors who have fired at least that, one fellow using a SW9940 as a class 'loaner', and another fellow who has fired more than 55+K rounds through a couple of SW99's.

Like the Glock, I tend to prefer the 99 series chambered in 9mm, and I also tend to prefer what Walther now calls their Anti-Stress action (like traditional double action, with an interesting variation on the sear's modes).

The AS gun triggers do seem to become smoother and even a bit lighter over time and usage, too.

There are a couple of minor issues to consider with the Walther models, one of which is the 1-year warranty.

The other is the cost of parts (which come from Germany, although the magazines are made by Mec-Gar). If the ejector ever breaks out beyond the warranty period, for example, a new sear housing has to be installed (since the ejector is molded into the housing block) ... and the retail cost of that assembly is about $100. Granted, I've only had to replace a small number of sear housing blocks because of broken ejectors (maybe 3-4?).

Another consideration is the way the grip backstrap inserts are shaped. I've found the lower part of both the medium & small insert is shaped so that it presses a bit sharply into the palm of my hand in a manner I'd prefer to be different. Just a personal observation and preference. The dimensions at the top of the grip inserts allow the grip reach to be modified to potentially suit a range folks with hands from pretty small to pretty large.

Not as nicely done as the M&P's inserts, which change the palm swell as well as the backstrap profile, but then S&W engineers had their experience with their licensed 99 copies to benefit them when they began the M&P pistol project. ;)

I've always thought the 99 series was never truly appreciated in the US, and Walther never seemed all that inclined to have it aggressively marketed, either. More's the pity.

Maybe the new licensed copy being sold will lend the design some new life here.