FN FAL: what do you think?

tombread

I bought an FN FAL 7.62 today, knowing little about this rifle except its general history. I trusted my gunshop, as they have not yet steered me wrong. Any thoughts about its shootability and reliability would be appreciated. I paid $750 for it, hoping it is a reasonable alternative to an AR15. I have several other farm guns, including a Ruger P9 carbine and M1 carbine, and various bolt action rifles, but wanted something with longer range for coyotes and other varmints. I may want to put a scope on it, but have no desire to attach a flash hider or muzzle brake or otherwise sporterize it. Any advice?

Destructo6

Good choice. The FAL is a great rifle, 90 countries can't all be wrong.

Check out the L1A1 thread on this same forum (the L1A1 is the British version of the FAL).

Check out: http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/index.html

This site has some great FAL information, including development and maintenance, and a FAL specific discussion board.

Start snapping up the 20rnd FAL mags while they're still cheap.

flatlander

I had a Springfield Armory SAR-48 that I was very happy with. The surplus Israieli 20rd. mags worked fine in it and were dirt cheap 10 years ago when I bought the rifle. Wish I'd kept it. I had an ARMS scope mount for it, the one that replaces the receiver cover. It was a very good solid mount. All in all, I believe the FAL is one of the very best rifles ever chambered for the 7.62 NATO round.

tombread

Flatlander: were you damning with faint praise when you said the FAL is perhaps the best rifle ever chambered for the 7.62 NATO round? I hoped to get a good alternative to the AR15, but does the 7.62 qualification make the FAL something less of a firearm? I hope not to get into an esoteric discussion about the .223 compared to the 7.62...but perhaps that is what I am leading into. Thanks for your comments.

BLITZKRIEG

I dont think he was trying to imply there was anything bad about the FAL. Its comparing apples to oranges here a FAL in .223 probably would not be as good as an AR15 but the AR in 308 (AR10) is probably not as good as a FAL IMO.

flatlander

When I said that I wish I still owned the SAR-48, I meant it. It was a solid rifle, easy to maintain, and very accurate. Why I let it go, I'm still not sure. I kept my Springfield Armory M1A, even though the glass bedding needs redone, and the barrel is shot out, and let the SAR go when I found an antique Winchester rifle I thought I needed. The SAR was heavy, and so very comfortable to shoot. I do miss it. No faint praise intended.

jimc

which fal/clone was it? is it a century arm's or other brand? not that it matter's. they are a fine rifle tempermental with ammo( don't set your gas adj up for shooting surplus ammo) then use some match grade and not expect to readj. gas setting. the only problem i have experienced is with mag's. you might run into problem's with worn out or distorted feed lip's other than that. good shooting and enjoy your new gun

jimc

forgot make sure you have a manual. not only does it help for takedown, but it is really helpful for adj. your gas setting/bolt hold open( if your's came with one)

Glen

AR15.com refugee here....

I purchased a DSA SA-58 a few months back. It's an outstanding rifle with great accuracy.

The best scope mount I have seen so far was DSA's. It sells for about $95.00. It's all aluminum and clamps to the outside of the upper receiver with eight locking screws, which press four "plates" aginst the sides of the receiver maintaining zero movement. There is no need to remove the top cover of the rifle to use this mount.