FN fal 50.61 prices?

blackamos

I recently recived an FN FAL 50.61 para as a gift and was wondering what I should have it insured for? Any help

blackamos

It is Belgian and was imported by Steyr. It also has a Leatherwood scope mount and a Sheperd scope. It is a para in great shape with about 750 rounds fired.

Yanus

Congratulations! You have a beautiful piece! I had one years ago until my first wife sold my gun collection! Them's the breaks!
The leatherwood mount is worth about $150 and the scope is probably worth at least $375. Keep an eye on the forward forearm screw as it tends to strip. That happened with mine after less than 100 rounds. I simply replaced it with another screw from a hardware store and kept shooting. IMHO the FN-FAL is the finest battle rifle ever conceived. Notice I said battle rifle and not assault rifle. The FN was never really designed to be used in the full automatic mode unless you had the heavy barrelled version which came with a bipod. BTW, I have an Argentine model 50.50 that was imported right before Bush the Elder banned the importation of military rifles. It is the one weapon I will never willingly get rid of. Enjoy your new rifle!

Yanus

The full rifle will shoot 1" all day long with good military ammo.
If I remember, the para with the 18" barrel would shoot about 2".
The para with the 18" barrel felt heavier than the rifle, but they are about the same. For me, the rifle has better balance than the para, but the para make one hell of a "bug out" gun. BTW,
I wouldn't ever shoot surplus of questionable origin. Shoot Portuguese, German, or British, if you can find it. I lke the Portuguese or German the best. Don't ever use corrosive ammo in it as cleaning the gas system will be a chore. The life expentency of the barrel on the Belgians is 70,000 rounds.

blackamos

Just got back from the range and with Federal Gold Medal 168 gr. shot a little under 1 moa. Thanks for all the advise.