FN Energizer Bunny?

Navy joe

Ok, I know it's not a Glock, but in the short months that I have owned my secondhand FN HP, I have shot it well over 1000 rounds and not experienced a single malfunction. Its what we always want and don't sometimes get. I realized this while doing some dry fire tonight, was considering Mf drills, realized I had never done any w/ the gun due to lack of need. My Chuck daly on the other hand was a regular "tactical" trainer. :mad: Has anyone shooting HPs had much Mf experience, if so, were there any that a simple tap, rack, & bang didn't solve? The rather enclosed ejection port makes me figure to roll the gun on its right side when racking the slide to clear a jammed casing, easy if I'm shooting my natural lefty style, not so easy if using my right. As well, what parts failed you? I don't see any obvious canidates, the extractor set-up is way better than the 1911, I never heard of one breaking.

Coronach

HPs don't choke.

Back when I first got my HP I had a *few* failures (like...4? 5?)...some to feed, some to eject, all using crappy ammo or crappy shooting grips :)D). I wasn't all that hip to malfuncition drills then, but they were simple to clear.

Sorry (?) I can't be of more help. HPs are just so darned *good*...

Glad you like yours,
Mike

PS Oh, I *HAVE* had numerous failures to feed using SA 17 round mags, but 1. its the mag's fault, not the gun and 2. the slightest 'forward assist' on the slide will solve it and 3. replacing the recoil spring with an 18.5# Wolff fixes it (seemingly) completely.

Moe

I get 1 jam about every 100rds. However I reload my own ammo and to this day I have not found the right load for best functioning. I have been using 135 gr round nose which I seat to the same profile as 124 gr nato. The jam I get 9 out of 10 times is the round is fed up the feed ramp and somehow misses the chamber and ends up nose stuck up in the top of the slide where the end of the chamber meets it with the rim end of the round run over the bottom of the bolt portion of the slide. The bolt portion of the slide pinning the case side against the feed ramp. Is this bothering me? YES! What have I done to help this? Got rid of my crappy Inglis mags an bought new browning mags. Took the gun to two gunsmiths the see if the chamber needed throated or the feed ramp worked. One said it looks ok to him and the other said if looks like it may have been already done. I used 115 to 147 gr fmj factory, 124 gr fmj nato, 115 to 147 gr hp factoy, and 124 to 147 gr lead handloads loaded light and hot. I'm lost. The mags improved it from 1 in 50 jams but 1 in every range day is discouraging.

I do IPSC with the gun and the load I have been using is 135gr lead rn, winchester small pistol primers, 3.9gr win 237 powder, 1.125" oal

Any one got a better load let me know. And no, switching to my wifes 1911 is not the right answer even if it does shoot major power. I use my bhp at work so I don't want to practice with anything else.

Only problems I have had with my Hi-Power (6000 rounds pre-custom work and another 4000 since) were all magazine-related.

The brands in question were Ramlines and the SA 17rd mags. The Ramline springs started to weaken and it would push the round up very slowly, causing the slide to try and jam the round in sideways. I never caught on to this particular malfunction and thought it was a problem with the chamber until one day the magazine failed to move the next round into battery at all. Finally that internal light bulb clicked on and I figured out it was the Ramline mags. I ditched them and haven't had a problem since except for the 17rd mags.

The problem with those is identical to what was explained above and with some regular use has disappeared from the 17rd mags.