FN Browning 1910

ligonierbill

In my humble opinion, this is JMB's best pistol. I do have 4 others of his, and there's not a bad one in the bunch, but the 1910 is my favorite. I managed to find a very nice .32, but I don't believe I've seen a .380 for sale. Not the 1955 model with "Browning" on the grip panels, I'm talking about a World War starting European FN. Just haven't seen one. Given the going price of a 1955, I'm almost afraid to ask, but anyone have one or seen one?

joe-lumber

I have a .380 and it is my second one. The recoil is excessive and that is why I don't shoot it much. It is a beautiful pistol and that is the main reason I love it. Wish I had a .32 Browning but I have .32 - Colt 1903 which was designed by JOHN Browning.

ligonierbill

Guess I'm looking in the wrong places. Gunbroker usually has a few 1955 models for sale, and a Google search this morning yielded a 1922 .380 on another site. That's it. FWIW, I do have a 1900, a Colt 1903, a Husqvarna 1907 and, of course, a modern rendition of the 1911.

carguychris

Bill DeShivs said:
I have [a 1910 in .380]. They are quite common.
+1. I've seen more of them than .32s. (1922s, the opposite.)

ligonierbill, perhaps this is one of those weird regional availability variations.

ligonierbill

I should clarify. The .380 with "Browning" on the grip panels is what I am calling a 1955. They were, and are, popular pocket pistols that are the same or nearly the same as the original 1910, made for export to the US. The 1922 or the 10/71 with the awful grips and "target" sights are not what I am seeking. Yes, Gunbroker has a number of them. Looking for a .380 like my .32 with the FN logo on the grips. Not on GB, and I've been watching. Send me the link if (not unlikely) I'm losing my mind.

Deaf Smith

With zero sights, striker fire that is NOT drop safe, heal clip loading, small safety that only blocks the grip safety (which in turn just blocks the trigger), well I'm not impressed.

And I say this having owned an 1955 .380 version.

Deaf

dogtown tom

ligonierbill I should clarify. The .380 with "Browning" on the grip panels is what I am calling a 1955...... Looking for a .380 like my .32 with the FN logo on the grips. Not on GB, and I've been watching. Send me the link if (not unlikely) I'm losing my mind.
The only difference between an FN and the Browning is the grip marking and rollmarks. Both were made by FN, Browning Arms is just the US importer.

Just buy a new set of grips.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The main reason all the Browning pistols are scarce in the US is that prior to about 1950, an agreement between Colt and FN kept the Belgian-made guns out of the US so they wouldn't compete with the Colt products. The first look most Americans got at the Belgian guns was when GI's brought captured ones back after WWII. The agreement became void (with other such "restraint of trade" deals) c. 1950, but even then the Brownings were not very popular in the US.

Both the captured pistols and most of the imported ones were in .32 ACP, .380 ACP (9mm Browning Short) not being very popular in Europe. (Note that the four guns used in the assassinations that precipitated WWI were 9mm/.380, though.)

Jim

tallball

FWIW, if anyone just wanted something to shoot...

I have been told that the MAB Model C is pretty much a copy of the 1910. I have a Model D that is said to be more or less a copy of the 1922 (same pistol, longer barrel). These are French service pistols that are not well-known in this country and are, in my experience, inexpensive. Mine is a good shooter.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The Model 1910 slide will fit on a Model 1922 frame and vice-versa. AFAIK, none were shipped from the factory with that mix, but it is easy for an owner to create a combo that way. The 1971 model (created to allow import under GCA '68) is essentially a 1910 with a long one-piece slide and target sights.

Jim

bigronjh

Thanks for the info, thats what I have,the1910 slide is 1inch shorter and the 1922 frame is longer and fits my hand better and the mag. hold's more, that makes it a winner for CC, for several years.

Jim Watson

The 1971 model (created to allow import under GCA '68) is essentially a 1910 with a long one-piece slide and target sights

Old gunzine article showed one of those with the sights removed, slab grips and flush magazine. Sleek hideout gun and the long barrel would point well enough.

carguychris

Jim Watson said:
...the long barrel would point well enough.
I can personally attest to this; I used to have a 1922, and the long, straight, cylindrical slide made it easy to empty a magazine into a pie-plate-size target at across-the-room ranges without even looking at the tiny sights. :)

Archie

I'm still looking for an FN produced 1910 in .32 ACP (probably marked 7.65mm). I do have a 1900 FN and a 1910/22 FN. Just no 1910. (Rude noise redacted.)