Flying with Handgun

Groundhog34

I know about the locked hard case my question is this:
Is a hard plastic case like a Sig case that CAN be locked with a padlock through holes in the case acceptable for the airlines. Then this case would be put in one's suitcase. My question is only this: Is a hard plastic case secured with a padlock acceptable with the airlines?

Paul B.

That's what my daughter did when she took her handgun with her on a trip. Bought a plastic case at Walmart and a cheap padlock and it went into her luggage after inspection without a problem. You should be OK.
Paul B.

44 AMP

Staff
My question is only this: Is a hard plastic case secured with a padlock acceptable with the airlines?

ASK THE AIRLINE you plan to fly on. THEY will tell you what TSA requires and what, if anything they require beyond that.

The last time I flew with firearms was back in 2003, and that was with a couple rifles. Hard plastic cases with a padlock. Firearms had to be brought in to check in, unlocked. Airline and TSA people would verify they were unloaded, then tag them, THEN you locked the case and it was checked as baggage. YOU kept the key.

Not sure if that is still acceptable today, or not. If you are going to have any ammunition with you, that would be a complicating matter. Don't know if they can be in the same container as the gun case, pretty sure ammo cannot be in the case with the gun and absolutely certain the gun must be entirely unloaded.

Call them up, take notes (the info is probably online as well). What ever they require is what you MUST do. OR, you won't fly commercially. ITs that simple.

Work WITH the people at the airlines, they will help you. (if not make sure their bosses know why you're going to fly with someone else!) Don't just show up thinking you know it all and expect them to just check you in with a gun. I'm afraid its not 1960 anymore...:mad::rolleyes:

Here's the federal law: https://law.justia.com/cfr/title49/49-9.1.3.5.8.2.10.6.html

Airlines can add more restrictions, but they can't do less than what the law requires.

Note section (c):

(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under §1562.23 of this chapter:

(1) Any loaded firearm(s).

(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—

(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;

(ii) The firearm is unloaded;

(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and

(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.
I haven't seen any recent reports, but there used to be frequent reports of TSA screeners asking demanding that passengers hand over the key to the gun case so the screener could open it and verify that the gun wasn't loaded. That's a violation of the law.

I don't travel with guns by air. People who do often recommend printing out and carrying with you a couple of copies of the federal law, in case you encounter a doofus TSA screener who wants to insist that you give him/her the key or combination to your lock.

44 AMP

Staff
not sure if I was clear enough, in 2003 when I last flew with firearms, after telephone co-ordination with the airline people I took the cased guns, unlocked (with the lock on the case, but not locking it shut) to the airline check in. They called TSA and one of their agents came to the check in desk. Both an airline person and the TSA guy checked the guns at the same time, and a paper tag was put on the trigger guard. Then I took the lock and locked the case shut in front of them. Same process repeated with the second rifle. I retained the keys at ALL times. I do not remember if they put a tamper tape on the cases after I locked them, or not.

Remembering this now leads me to wonder, what is the legal status of your "luggage" (gun case) once you've locked it in the presence of TSA. IF its locked and only you have the key, and they have already inspected it (possibly sealed it?) can the require you to open it again without a search warrant? Can they open it once it is put in the custody of the airline? With a warrant? without?
Just curious. Sure, they can ASK anything, but what do you HAVE to do?

You won't find those answers on the sign at the security gate, I know that...:rolleyes:

RickB

One, central locking point on a plastic case, is generally not sufficient. Such set-ups can often be pried open on the ends sufficiently to get the gun out.
I used to use a cable lock, wrapped 2x or 3x around the case, and through holes on both sides of the handle.
Not pretty, but secure.

Prof Young

Checked guns get stolen?

My CC instructor told us that ten percent of all guns checked as luggage or in luggage get stolen. His whole life was guns so I'm guessing he didn't make that up. Anyone know if this is accurate.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Screwball

My CC instructor told us that ten percent of all guns checked as luggage or in luggage get stolen. His whole life was guns so I'm guessing he didn't make that up. Anyone know if this is accurate.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I doubt it.

Sounds like the NJ gun shops that tell people you get fined $10,000 for each round a magazine is over the limit (15 back then, 10 now). If it’s over the limit, it is over the limit… there are degrees of crime stated for the offense.

I’ve seen plenty of instructors that don’t know what they are talking about… so unless I know the guy, I couldn’t say if I’d trust him about that. Just because you know guns doesn’t mean you know what happens to guns being transported on a plane. I know what happens to mine… or at least CBP’s… it’s on me.

If I’m checking a firearm, I follow the rules of the airline… and have received them when I landed just fine. Those statistics make it sound like if I fly 10 times, one time I’m going to lose my gun. That’s BS. It may happen, but if it were that common, TSA would pressure the airlines to fix it.

Considering it is declared, I’m sure the baggage handlers would be committing a felony by doing so. They might not be paid as much as doctors… but would you give up a decent paying job to steal a gun? Yea, there are s***bags in all careers, but I doubt you see that many to steal so many firearms. That isn’t even considering that most loading areas are under surveillance.

44 AMP

Staff
Those statistics make it sound like if I fly 10 times, one time I’m going to lose my gun.

Maybe they mean that if you fly once with 10 guns, thieves with only steal one of them....:rolleyes:

My first thought when I read "10% of guns checked as luggage get stolen" was, What percentage of checked luggage (that isn't a gun) gets stolen???

years ago, the Post Office had a horrid record for guns getting stolen during shipment. One year I remember hearing how 6 million $ of Winchesters were stolen off a loading dock....

At the time, we figured the Post Office requiring large red letters stating "FIREARM" on each package might have had something to do with it...:rolleyes:

... but would you give up a decent paying job to steal a gun?

Honest people won't. DISHONEST ones don't think they will get caught.
And then there are those who are actual criminals...not everything stolen during transport is stolen by transport company employees. Sometimes, they're just accessories....:rolleyes:

ammo.crafter

guns and flight

On that same note, I usually fly in private planes with buddies who are pilots. Are there any restrictions?

Rob228

"Post Office had a horrid record for guns getting stolen during shipment. One year I remember hearing how 6 million $ of Winchesters were stolen off a loading dock....

At the time, we figured the Post Office requiring large red letters stating "FIREARM" on each package might have had something to do with it... "

Just this past weekend I had a UPS driver knock on my door and wait until I actually opened to hand me a package that was obviously (to someone who knows what they are looking at) a rifle coming back from getting repaired and he said "I wanted to make sure this went right into your hands and didn't sit by the door for a few hours"

I was genuinely impressed with that.

The last time I flew with a firearm was 2015. I declared it at the ticketing counter, an airline representative walked me back to TSA, I showed that it was clear, I locked the case, they X-rayed it, it went into my luggage. Ammo could be transported in the same case, BUT it had to be in the factory box.

44 AMP

Staff
Not claiming any firsthand knowledge or expertise, but as I understand it private planes and charter aircraft are not required to follow TSA/airline/airport security rules, unless they feel like it.

Someone who owns a private plane told me, no, you don't need to follow their rules, you don't even go to the regular commerical airport terminal. You go through a gate in the field fence and directly to your plane.

that was a few years ago, so things might have changed, but I doubt it, especially at smaller airports that aren't international hubs.