Flying w/guns: In luggage or Separate case?

Shorts

My husband and I are flying home to see our families for the holidays. This trip will also serve as a transport for our pistols to my dad (instead of shipping $$$$$). I checked the airlines policy on firearms:

Firearms
Federal regulations require that firearms in checked baggage or in their own shipping case be unloaded and declared. Firearms are not allowed in carry-on bags. Firearms in checked baggage must be packed in a locked hard-sided bag or gun case. A maximum of 11 lbs. of small arms ammunition is allowed in checked luggage in the original manufacturer's box or securely packed in a fiber, wood, or metal box to prevent movement of cartridges.

It is my understanding of the above, that firearms in cases can either be in luggage or as a stand alone 'bag'. We will have 3 pistols, 1 BB pistol, and 1 upper (can this go in my luggage without being under restriction? yes, since not a 'firearm', right?). The case we'll use will most likely be a reasonable sized thing, I imagine the size of a laptop or briefcase. Of course, hardsided and locking.

My question, would you put that gun case into an extra suitcase or let it be on its own? Has anyone traveled with the hardcase as a stand alone checked piece of baggage? My concern is this breifcase sized case 'getting lost' :rolleyes:

Trip20

I travelled from Baltimore, MD to central WI using a hard/locking long-gun case. The case was not disguised in the least. I checked in at the counter and checked my luggage all the way through to my destination (I had a layover in Detroit).

I believe (could be wrong) if your trip has a layover, they will ONLY allow you to check the guns through to your final destination.

Other than a few scratches and dings to the brand new case, everything arrived as anticipated.

Good luck - it should be fine. :)