Flying out of 'Chicago' with a gun...

blume357

I've got a friend up near Chicago who is flying down to near me in February (actually to NC) and he says the folks at TSA up there have changed the rules on what is an acceptable case to check a pistol in with.... something about it not only being 'more' crush proof but needing more than one 'center' lock....

In the post he sent me the person tried to just check in the pistol in a case... was not in his luggage just the gun and case itself... that should not in theory maybe make a difference ...but in my mind surely could. I really can't imagine just checking a pistol in a case on it's own... I'd want my baby tucked nice and warm in my luggage.

Chuckusaret

I fill out the necessary paper work at the check in counter and pack the weapon, with magazine removed but in same container, in my luggage to be stored below in a lockable metal gun safe. Never had a problem, not even an odd stare, lifted eyebrow, from any airport/ TSA personnel. Recommend your friend should also contact the airline and TSA regarding firearm and ammunition carriage policies. Might save some time and hassle.

kraigwy

I keep the plactic pistol case my 642 came in, put the pistol in that, (unloaded of course) put the case in my by suitcase, and fill out the form. No problem.

I'll tell you the one problem I had. I was running the Alaska NG Marksmanship Unit a while back. I coached the Composite team (M14s). Went to the Wilson Matches (National Guard Championships, in Little Rock AR).

Anyway the compostie was the first week and combat was the second week. Composite teams are made of with Army & Air Guard regardless of unit. Combat Teams are made up from one BN. The Combat Team that year was maded up from Eskimos from the Nome AK area. These folks are differant to say the least.

I went to the airport in Little Rock to meet the Combat Team, at the baggage claim I heard a heck of a racket come down the convayer belt, and sure enought, here come the M16s, Bundled together and wrapped in strapping tape. Dern near had a heart attack. 10 ea M16s, slings hanging up on everything, nothing between the rifles and public view but a few raps of tape.

Nothing was ever said, we loaded up and headed to Camp Robinson. I was cussing all the way back to Camp.

Of course this was well before 911, but still.

troy_mclure

many airlines require prior notice for traveling with firearms.

i recommend he goes to the airline, and tsa website and print out the regulations/rules.

i flew delta from columbus ohio, to seattle washington, with a 7mm mag, and xd40.

the check in agent didnt know what to do, i had to give her the print outs of her airlines regs.

Delaware_Dan

Whenever I fly, I always keep one key peice of the firearm in my luggage seperate, in case the gun is stolen, lost etc. That way if it doesn't return to me for any reason it will not go bang unless they buy another barrel or firing pin. (barrel, or mainspring housing for handguns, and firing pin/bolt for long guns)

Wagonman

I am under the impression the weapon case has to separate from your other luggage. This is how I have transported my PDWs on vacation.

Wuchak

The TSA Up There doesn't get to make up their own set of rules. The TSA rules governing Air Travel are national rules.

Get the facts straight from the horse's mouth.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Traveling with Special Items
Firearms & Ammunition

You may only transport firearms, ammunition and firearm parts in your checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage.

There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers who may fly armed by meeting the requirements of Title 49 CFR § 1544.219. Law enforcement officers should read our policies on traveling with guns.

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:

* You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
* The firearm must be unloaded.
* The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
* The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
Properly Packed
firearm_proper_package.jpg

Improperly Packed
firearm_improper_package.jpg

* We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
* You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
* You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
* You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
* You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.

We and other authorities strictly enforce these regulations. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.

Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition that you may have in your checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

Also, please note that many other countries have different laws that address transportation and possession of firearms. If you are traveling internationally, please check with the authorities at your destination about their requirements.

Last edited:

Wagonman

How do they x-ray the case within a case? I have a locking aluminum guncase that I check then have the clerk hand carry it to TSA. I wait for the thumbs up from x-ray tech then rejoin the wife.

blume357

I can see how a rifle or shotgun case has to go as separate

baggage... but for the life of me I would never check in a lone pistol case... even if I had to just put it in some other empty piece of luggage....

I've only flown with a gun once, this was in April of last year... and it went well.... only packed a Walther PPK in a hard plastic case with lock on it. Ammo was in a factory cardboard box in the same case... mags were empty... it seems this was a good thing according to the first TSA guy when I flew out to Reno.... don't know about coming back... I declared it coming back from Reno and the TSA guy in front of the xray machine just took the declaration tag and my check on bag with the pistol still in it and told me that was it... go. I don't know what they did with or too my luggage after that but I got everything back at the end of my flight.

kayakersteve

Good info

I haven't traveled wit a handun since 911 and things sure seem to have changed -

Wuchak - Thanks for the info.

I have heard people also suggest TSA locks on the case. What do you guys think of that??? My concern with that is other people can open them later when I'm not around. For those not familiar; TSA locks are keyed and you have a key = But the TSA people also have a key that will open them too- Kinda scares me. What locks do you guys use????

heyduke

First off, I'd respectfully suggest that your friend move.

Your friend being around the Chicago area, any chance he can just overnight the sidearm straight to you and save any potential hassel at the airport in Chicago?

Use to fly with sidearms regularly, however, never in or out of Chicago directly.

What I've found flying back home (from a "strange" airport) is that each airport has different rules to some extent on pistols when it comes time for the TSA to look at your luggage.

I love it when they ask me if the gun is unloaded and I say yes, but they never check.

If your friend does fly out of Chicago with the sidearm, I suggest he gives himself more time than normal to check in at the airport in case he gets a TSA Barney Fife working that day. Added to the fact that he's flying out of Chicago, which is really an anti gun city, Murphy's law may really come into play (no facts on my end, just a hunch).

Flying out of Las Vegas was the worst for myself, and it was actually a joke when the TSA people couldn't figure out how to repack my pack with the sidearm, and I actually had to "step across" the line to help them.

Loved it when my future wife and I were flying out west some time ago (after 9/11) and we were checking in at two different counters at the same time. Here I look like a terrorist, with dark skin, short hair and big black beard, and my future wife with light skin and blonde hair. I had a handgun I had to declare, my wife wife had no weapons. Airline didn't know we were together. Long story short, I go straight through, and my future wife gets a long hassel. Go figure.

The TSA Up There doesn't get to make up their own set of rules. The TSA rules governing Air Travel are national rules.

Get the facts straight from the horse's mouth.

Just like a LEO who pulls you over knows all the handgun laws:rolleyes:

Bottom line, at an airport, you may be right, but does you no good if you miss your flight (per my Barney Fife comment from above).

I have heard people also suggest TSA locks on the case. What do you guys think of that???

Not sure what a TSA lock is, but my "case" for transporting a sidearm at airports is an old mil surplus ammo cannister that I had 1/4" steel welded to so that I can lock the cannister with mulitple locks and still be able to stuff in sack. Always checked cannister to make sure locks wern't broken (and physically to verify sidearm still in location) at final destination, never a problem.

Last edited:

Wuchak

No TSA locks on firearms. That's why they recommend that you hand the key to the agent and then get it back. If it was supposed to be a TSA lock they wouldn't need you to give them a key.

They put it through all necessary security while you are right there.

Don't let your friend turn it into a big deal. It's not.

Here's a nice double handgun aluminum case that is airline approved. It's $30 and shipping is free.
http://www.amazon.com/ADG-Sports-Aluminum-Pistol-Case/dp/B000ACAO22

4130ZVTFFTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Your friend being around the Chicago area, any chance he can just overnight the sidearm straight to you and save any potential hassel at the airport in Chicago?
He would have to spend $70 to overnight it and it would have to go to an FFL. It's illegal to send handguns person to person. Add in a $35 transfer fee and it would cost $105 to avoid something that is not really a problem to begin with.

Last edited:

heyduke

Don't let your friend turn it into a big deal. It's not

For the most part, I agree with you 100%.

The only thing I remember about my incident in Vegas was that they could not get my gun case back into my backpack (check in luggage). Lets just say I think that they TSA has lower standards as far as intellegence requirements.

That said, drive from Northern Ohio to Montana with firearms locked and secured, seperate from ammo (locked and secured as well) in a truck, and get pulled over by Chicago police while you're driving though Chicago at 3am (non stop drive, planned that way).

By law, shouldn't be a big deal, but it is.

Don H

It's illegal to send handguns person to person.
It's legal to ship it to oneself.
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

It is also (federally) legal to directly ship a handgun to a resident of one's own state.

Wuchak

You are correct. It would come down to if it's legal to ship or receive them according to the laws of the states involved.

Shipment would have to be done via UPS. For a fraction of what it would cost to overnight it both ways, ~$140, he could buy a really nice new case and just take it to the airport and check it like thousands of other people do every day.

Fed-Ex will not ship firearms person to person
http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/us.html?link=2#firearms
1. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

UPS http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/firearms.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=handgun

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.