Flying from PA to FL July 9 - questions

Tokamak

Ok, I did a little research and thought I would see if anybody here has done this recently.

It looks like my PA permit is good in FL, so I want to take a couple of handguns with me. My 9mm for open/heavy duty carry (if that is legal there) and my .380 for deep concealed carry.

I am going to be flying down and driving back.

Anybody flown with a couple of pistols recently? Anybody driven from PA to FL or vica versa with pistols? I am going to contact the airlines for regulations on flying with a pistol and I think I already know that for the driving trip back my guns must be seperated from ammo and locked in the trunk - except in states where my permit is good.

Any tips? cautions?

Is this going to be worth the hassle?

sakeneko

I'll let the others who know more give specifics. But you do need to remember that, since you are driving back, you need to know the law in every state you will drive through, not just in Pennsylvania and Florida. I'd suggest finding out the laws along any alternate route(s) you might take, as well, if they'll take you through a different state or states.

Tokamak

since you are driving back, you need to know the law in every state you will drive through, not just in Pennsylvania and Florida. I'd suggest finding out the laws along any alternate route(s) you might take, as well, if they'll take you through a different state or states.

Good advice.

GHF

The Flying Part - and the Road Home

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
  2. Steps that will make it easier to show that the weapon is unloaded - especially when x-rayed.
    • If the weapon is a
      • semi-automatic
        • lock the slide open
        • put a cable tie through the barrel and out the breach to show that the chamber is empty
      • revolver, flip the cylinder out
    • Do not put the magazines in this locked case with the gun(s)
      • it invites questions about them being loaded
      • if the gun case is "liberated" from the checked bag, the lack of magazines frustrates the thief, since the weapon is now initially a single shot one
  3. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
    • Determine if the ammo MUST be in boxes (plastic reload boxes work) OR can fly in loaded magazines.
    • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazines
    • The round(s) from the chamber(s)/cylinder(s) must be in a box, not loose
  4. Secure and protect magazines (separately from the weapon) and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
  5. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in. If possible, develop a way to attach in a lockable way the hard-sided case to the piece of luggage it has been placed into. The labeling should be limited to:
    • Your Name
    • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
    • Your personal email address - if you have one
    • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
  6. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
  7. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
  8. Make sure you have the keys to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR § 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...v8&view=text&node=49:9.1.3.5.9.2.10.6&idno=49) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case
    • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in (a signed form/tag indicating that will go in with the weapon(s))
    • if the TSA wants to see
  9. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
    • airline
    • FAA Regional Office
    • ATF Regional Office
Other things to consider:

1. Check www.handgunlaw.us and/or http://apps.carryconcealed.net/packngo/index.php to determine:
    • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops
    • Where and how you can carry at all your stops
    • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting
  2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourRights/us letter.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.

Last edited:

chris in va

I'd leave the heavy 9mm at home and just carry the 380. It'll make your life a lot simpler.

TSA locks are not allowed

I used TSA locks and had no issues. The TSA guy pointed out that it doesn't matter as they have a way to open just about every lock made.

Indeed, I had a regular lock on my suitcase and still found a 'love letter' inside when I got back home.

GHF

The Rules on Locks

Chris in VA said the following:

I used TSA locks and had no issues. The TSA guy pointed out that it doesn't matter as they have a way to open just about every lock made.

You can use TSA locks on the bag but not on the locked gun case per the following:

Per Federal Regulations 49CFR § 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...2.10.6&idno=49

You have to open the locked gun case.