Fluting

ADIDAS69

I know it has more than likely been covered. Is fluting a barrel really worth it.

I have heard it helps with long range shots regarding the harmonics of the barrel

I know it increases your surface area for heat dispersion

Lighter weight and all that.

Is it worth the expense assuming someone is going for Thousand Yard shots.

Thank you in advance for any info.

demigod

If you watch the Military Sniper shows, and Top Sniper, you won't see any fluted barrels on the guns chambered in calibers less than 50 BMG.

If it brought any value to precision shooting, those guys would have it.

ADIDAS69

Indeed.

I caught the first Top Shot and was so anoyed by the show itself I could be bothered to stick around for the five minutes of actual shooting.

None of the items you list are gained using a fluted barrel. The only one in the terms of absolute, is weight reduction. Even then, it's miniscule. If one thinks it bears any significance, then my rebuttal would be recoil absorbtion would be less. And we both know it really doesn't.

It's a decorative factor and nothing much more.

ADIDAS69

Yeah i figured weight was the only legitimate reason for fluting. The heat thing seem like it might be true but not worth the extra money just for that. I am a civilian so i could just slow down my rate of fire.

Fluting strikes me as similar to jeweling a bolt. I did notice on almost all the 50's save the Bushmaster/COBB and the Armalite, they all had fluted barrels. I have held an Armalite and i can understand why someone would want to take some weight off of it. I shot Muzzle Loaders for a great while and a number of shooters had barrels that were thinner in the middle to help with the weight.

I am pleased this didn't spark a massive number of diatribes pro/con.

I do appreciate the input.

-C