Florida Python Hunt

Wild Bill Bucks

Heard they are going to have a month long contest, starting Jan.12, 2013, to see who can get the most, and largest Python's out of the Florida Glades.

Are any of the members going to participate?

Are they worth any money for the hides, and are they good to eat?

I'm not going to be there for sure, and I'm sure I'm not the only one curious about this. Seems like a fairly good way to get rid of some of them. I hear they are really getting to be a problem for Floridians.

Moby

I've eaten rattle snake and loved it.
I imagine it would be simalar.
Garlic, plus salt and pepper to taste.
I fried mine in olive oil.
Really was good stuff.
But then again when hiking in the mountains
trail mix tastes good.

Buzzcook

Python is a popular meal in the countries they are native to. The hides do sell. I doubt you'd get much selling them for boot leather.
I have seen them sell for about $75 as wall hangers.

reloader28

WOW, if you could get one in the 12-14ft range and 16" around, thats alotta steaks!
Or maybe I should say ribs. That would be a loooong BBQ grill to get a full rack.:D

Sphawley

This looks like fun, kinda makes me wish I was in Florida...

I have a friend In Florida, maybe I need to barrow his couch for a little :rolleyes:

Wow I love where I live. Hog hunting...Haven't gone yet. But I kind of want to.

The snakes would be really fun. I guess .410 would be best for that huh?

Bailey Boat

Who's up for a road trip and a few weeks of sunny Florida???? I have a suitable 16' jon boat w/25hp Merc ready to go!!! Ain't no ducks in NC this year anyway, might as well bag a few Pythons....

serf 'rett

Nice prizes for the winners, but I didn't see any offer of medical treatment for the bumbling losers using the captive bolt method of dispatchment. These critters can deliver a nasty bite.

shortwave

I have a suitable 16' jon boat w/25hp Merc ready to go!!!

Long as you stayed on the 'kicker trails' you would be okay but...

....having spent a bit of time in the thick hydrilla and lilly pad infested glades with vines as big as baseball bats, I'm thinkin you may need a bigger motor to chop through the vegetation to get where these critters are stayin.

I've managed to bog down a 150hp Mercury a time or three.

An air boat, although not mandatory, would be very nice.

Bailey Boat

I too have spent more than my share of time in that swamp and the 25 isn't the only trick I have up my sleeve..... wink, wink....

nocturnal

I could go for a trip Bailey, I live just outside Charlotte...

I'm not even working until late January...and I could bring my "lucky" python boots :D

I have done my share of cottonmouth and copperhead hunting on the lease...time to move up to bigger game! I haven't eaten snake before

Last edited:

shortwave

nocturnal, restaurants serve "chicken fingers", right? Open up a cafe specializing in "snake fingers".

...and this people, is why Art is 'staff lead' at TFL. :D:D

Thanks Art for the humorous, but maybe profitable business idea. You may be on to somethin here. ;)...

...are you listenin hogdogs and bswiv?

FWIW, I have eaten a couple different kind of snakes(rattlers) and liked them but have never eaten any python. Cut in strips, deep fried with some dipping sauce, I bet python would be very good.

Last edited: