Florida members: the guns in parking lot bill heads to governor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garand Illusion

This item has been heavily debated on other threads that ran on and on. I'd say as gun owners let's support this law, and in the unlikely event it is ruled unconstitutional by the courts so be it. That's one of the court's jobs, and why they exist.

NRAILA alert

This morning the Florida Senate PASSED HB-503 “Guns-Locked-Up-In-Your Car” bill by a vote of 26 to 13 and sent it to the Governor for his consideration.

House Bill 503 by Representative Greg Evers (R-Milton) & Senator Durell Peaden (R-Crestview) protects your right to keep a firearm locked, out of sight, in your private vehicles for lawful purposes in publicly accessible parking lots.

It's time to email GOVERNOR CHARLIE CRIST and urge him to sign HB-503.

IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR EMAIL PUT:

PLEASE SIGN HB-530 the "Guns-Locked-Up-In-Your-Car” bill

Please send an email to Governor Crist and Lt. Governor Jeff Kottkamp at the email addresses below:

Charlie.Crist@MyFlorida.com
Jeff.Kottkamp@MyFlorida.com

For three years we have fought corporate giants and big business bullies. They have been banning firearms and violating your rights. Their intent was to prohibit you from parking in publicly accessible privately owned parking lots, if you have a firearm locked in your car or truck for protection while traveling to and from shopping, work, or where ever your daily routine takes you. They have been violating your right of self-defense and your right to keep and bear arms.

This has been a WAR for your safety and your firearms freedom. And the War continues. YOU MUST EMAIL GOVERNOR CRIST NOW AND URGE HIM TO SIGN HB-503!

wuluf

Florida ok's guns at work

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24033282&GT1=43001

Fla. lawmakers OK take-your-guns-to-work law
Measure allows people to keep guns locked in cars; schools, prisons exempt
Florida passes bill allowing employees to take guns to work
Senate OKs Bill Letting People Have Gun In Car At Work

TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Most Florida residents would be allowed to take guns to work under a measure passed by Florida lawmakers on Wednesday.

The bill, allowing workers to keep guns in their cars for self-protection, was approved by the Florida Senate by a vote of 26-13. It now goes to Republican Gov. Charlie Crist to sign into law.

Backed by the National Rifle Association and some labor unions, the so-called "take-your-guns-to-work" measure would prohibit business owners from banning guns kept locked in motor vehicles on their private property.

The measure applies to employees, customers and those invited to the business establishment as long as they have a permit to carry the weapon.

Backers say the measure upholds the vision of the authors of the U.S. Constitution, who made the right to bear arms part of the Bill of Rights.

"The second thing they wrote about in that constitution was the right to bear arms," said Sen. Durell Peaden, a Republican from Crestview, Florida. "It was what was dear in their hearts."

Nuclear plants exempted
The measure exempts a number of workplaces including nuclear power plants, prisons, schools and companies whose business involves homeland security.

Critics say the measure usurps business owners' rights to determine what happens on their property and puts workers and managers at risk from disgruntled employees.

Dozens of workplace shootings occur every year in the United States, and studies have shown that job sites where guns are permitted are more likely to suffer workplace homicides than those where guns are prohibited.

"This is an attempt to trample upon the property rights of property owners and attempt to make it more difficult to protect the workers in a workplace and those who visit our retail establishments," said Sen. Ted Deutch, a Boca Raton Democrat.

Oklahoma, Alaska, Kentucky, and Mississippi have similar laws, although in Oklahoma, an appellate court barred the state from enforcing the legislation on grounds that it was unconstitutional.

Florida business groups are urging the governor to veto the measure, saying owners should be allowed to determine what happens on their property.

"We are disappointed that politics clearly won over good policy," Mark Wilson, president and chief executive of the Florida Chamber of Commerce, said in a statement.

Has anyone heard of any of these studies?:
Dozens of workplace shootings occur every year in the United States, and studies have shown that job sites where guns are permitted are more likely to suffer workplace homicides than those where guns are prohibited.

applesanity

Schools count as a workplace. Teachers, janitors, principals, gym coaches.

Schools are gun-free zones.

Just today, there was a shot fired a highschool in Maryland.

wuluf

But guns are NOT permitted at schools. I wonder which workplaces where guns are permitted are so dangerous?

WhyteP38

I suspect the author of the article is mistaken. Otherwise, I'm sure the Brady Bunch would have trumpeted such news from every rooftop. Also, as applesanity pointed out, schools are also workplaces, but that doesn't mean whatever stats the author is referring to took that into account, even if the author is quoting real stats.

FireMax

It seems that most gun crimes are committed by people who do not have a conceal carry or firearms license and in a place where they are breaking the law by carrying the gun there.

So, why would any government want to further restrict locations where a licensed person can carry?

Mind boggling.

"This is an attempt to trample upon the property rights of property owners and attempt to make it more difficult to protect the workers in a workplace and those who visit our retail establishments," said Sen. Ted Deutch, a Boca Raton Democrat.

I am perplexed by the good Senator's comment. He had it right first when he started to address the property owners rights being trampled upon, but then he went the way of "make it more difficult to protect the workers in a workplace and those who visit our retail establishments". Is it me or does the first statement sort of sound like he understands the issue, but the second just throws him right back in left field where he is extremely lost. Ah well, I reread it and saw this which may shed some light on it...

a Boca Raton Democrat
nuff said :D

divemedic

They are using the property rights argument as a smokescreen to divide and conquer gun owners- just like they pit hunters against EBR owners.

jdc1244

I like the bill, but have doubts that the gov is a real conservative. I am thinking 50/50 for veto.

The good Governor is not a conservative, real or otherwise :D– moderate at best, some say a closet liberal. Yankee republicans have been coming here for years and diluted the political gene pool.

But I don’t think he’ll veto it.

I am opposed to this law. A property owner should have the right to determine what is and is not allowed on his property.

Property rights v. Civil Rights – tough call…

Consider this, however: without the law there is a de facto ban on CCW in Florida.

Wildalaska

This is a sad situation where there is no clear cut answer and multiple losers......

WildtoobaditwontgoawayAlaska TM

Wildalaska

Yankee republicans have been coming here for years and diluted the political gene pool.

Thank god, now it's a livable and decent place :)

Consider this, however: without the law there is a de facto ban on CCW in Florida.

Really...so the market place wouldnt cure that?

WildagainabadsituationAlaska TM

Garand Illusion

This is a sad situation where there is no clear cut answer and multiple losers......

No losers WA. It's not going to cost the property owners anything to have guns safely locked up in their cars. And it's not going to make it more dangerous for anyone (anyone already on the edge and ready to start randomly killing has a gun in their car or on their person irregardless of the rules)

And if the OSHA case wins in Oklahoma, it may be invalidated anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.