Floor plate...yes or no?

TMUSCLE1

Pretty simple enough question I think. I was just wondering what were some of your thoughts on a floor plate on a hunting rifle? Yes or no?

I ask because I have found a Remington 700 in 30-06 with synthetic stock(what I'm looking for). I have found both with the floor plate and have seen them without(without is cheaper).
I was wondering if this makes a huge difference with...

-the way the rifle operates/cycles
-is it a real hassle to cycle to unload?
-thoughts?

If I need to explain myself better please let me know.

ISC

I don't see how a rifle with an internal magazine can operate as a repeater without a floorplate.

Are you talking about replacing the aluminmum floorplate with a steel or extended plastic one?

TMUSCLE1

Yes, it is a blind box magazine. Thank you Doyle, I should have made myself more clear.

I was just wondering the pros/cons of this vs. a floor plate.

If any of you have rifles like this. This will ultimately effect my decision as we all know how the economy is...I don't see the problem, just wanting some thoughts. I have used a rifle before with the floor plate, but now without.

COYOTE JLR

Personally, I've always preferred a floor plate over not, but I don't think it's a deal breaker if a gun doesn't have one. I would rather just drop all of my rounds right at my feet instead of cycling them out one by one and then gathering them. The guns should both feed the same and without problems.

How much of a difference are we talking about $$ wise? And do you think you'll ever have any first time shooters using it? I like the floor plate when I'm letting a newbie use my gun simply because that's a few less rounds they'll have to have locked and loaded if they want to hand the gun back.

I don't think you'll find any difference performance wise between the two. If the cash difference isn't all that much I'd spring for the floor plate, but if you don't have the money to drop it shouldn't ever be something you'll look back on and kick yourself over.

TMUSCLE1

Thanks Coyote. That's pretty much what I was looking for. As far as your questions go.

This gun is for me as a hunting/target rifle. No newbies or new shooters will be shooting it.

WITHOUT floor plate: $475.
With floor plate: $585 is the cheapest I have found. Both prices before tax.

I think that is a good enough price difference for me to consider that no floor plate rifle. I'm slowly starting to lean towards the cheaper one.

Anybody else?

Doyle

I don't find a box magazine particularly hard to unload. Most I've used don't require you to cycle the round fully, just push it far enough in to engage the extractor and then pull back. For large rounds like 30-06, you will probably be able to just stick your finger in and pop them out.

COYOTE JLR

You're welcome T. Considering the price difference I would definitely say that you should go without the floor plate. Just think about how much ammo that will get you. :) Good luck and happy shooting.

roklok

I seldom use the floorplate on my rifles even though they all have them. I find it easier to unload simply taking them out the top. I usually end up with rounds on the ground when I open the plate.

jmr40

I actually prefer the ADL style with no floorplate. It helps keep the action and stock stiffer as well as lighter. One less thing to go wrong. A lot of professional guides hunting dangerous game weld the floorplates shut so they cannot open at the wrong time and dump their ammo on the ground.

banditt007

when i bought my savage 30-06 i was deciding between and blind box mag and a floor plate. i decided i wanted the blind box mag for a few reasons. This is what i thought..

-I didn't want the bottom getting caught on something and dumping out all the ammo
-one less thing to break
-no cold metal or anything sticking out on the underside (for carrying)

To unload mine i just push the bolt far enough forward to push the round out of the magazine.... it never chambers....and then retract the bolt and pluck out the round. or just lift the muzzle up a bit and tip it to the side and the round falls out. To unload mine does not need anything close to a full chambering each time. Also even if the hinged floor plate was faster to unload, i never minded taking the extra, literally, 10 seconds to unload the gun.

Having the option for both is great though, and everyone has their own preferences. To me i just didn't see any advantage to the hinged floor plate aside from faster unloading. Everything else i see as a negative. Maybe i'm missing something?

uncyboo

Personally, I've always preferred a floor plate over not, but I don't think it's a deal breaker if a gun doesn't have one. I would rather just drop all of my rounds right at my feet instead of cycling them out one by one and then gathering them. The guns should both feed the same and without problems.

For me---this ^

I have both types of rifles and don't especially miss the floor plate on the ones that don't have it, but on the ones that do I find it handy. I would never let the lack of one stop me from buying a rifle I liked.

Swampghost

+1 for uncyboo. The floorplate has never been a deciding factor in any of my purchases. I have both and rarely use the floorplate to unload, just old habit.

T. O'Heir

"...how a rifle with an internal magazine can operate..." Every repeating bolt action has an internal mag.
"...Both prices..." Buy based on the price. Same rifle with a different stock, otherwise.

mcraig8377

i had this same situation. i went with the blind magazine as they call it. just for the simple fact that the hinge/floorplate could cause more problems than it is worth. with a blind magazine everything is on you! with a floorplate you can use all sorts of this happened that happened B.S.

ZeroJunk

The only time I ever open the floor plate is for cleaning. I've always unloaded from the top. Typically I don't unload the magazine until the end of the season, just push the top cartridge down and slide the bolt over it until the last time I plan to use the rifle. And, if you are just shooting you are going to shoot them out anyway.

bojack2575

I know this is beating a dead horse here, but I always do what ZeroJunk does, clear the chamber and leave the mag loaded until hunting season is over. I don't feel the need to "reinvent the wheel" every time I go hunting.

TMUSCLE1

Thanks for the indepth replies.

I just didn't see any real benefit to pay over $100 more for a floor plate. It is the same rifle...same length, caliber, etc. I think I will definitely get the cheaper one. :D