Floated a barrel.

mitchell koster

Hi all.

Well i hough i would just share that i've finally had enough courage to take the rifle apart and free float the barrel on dads Ruger. It had a raised part on the end of the stock which applied pressure to the barrel. i used a really fine grit sandpaper and then managed to get a sealer that it the exact same colour as the original finish. I'm able to slide a business card all the way up to the action. Hopefully it will improve the accuracy when i start my hand loads.

Thanks for all the info and advice you've given.

Have a good week.

MK

Doyle

Do this. Fire a couple of fouling shots, then shoot a 3 shot group. Change the target and put a small piece of folded up business card between the barrel and the stock. Just enough so that you can feel it wedge in there. Now shoot another 3 shot group and see which one is better.

If it turns out that a pressure point improves your group, then make a permanent pressure point out of a drop of latex caulk.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I have found that about a five-pound pull to separate the barrel and forearm to allow insertion of a shim seems about right. All sorts of ways to do that pressure point, of course. What I do is cut a 3/4" strip of kitchen wax paper and fold it back and forth until the thickness is right. A few shots heats the wax enough such that it sticks in place. A benefit is that it won't attract moisture.

My joke is that it's a "Poor man's BOSS". The theory is that it dampens vibrations, slightly, and helps shot-to-shot uniformity.