Flinch fix

shredder4286

Howdy all,

I just recently bought my 2nd of 2 high-power rifles. The first- a bolt action 30-06, the second- a bolt action .243 win. I did ok with the .243 the last time I took it out (I only fired at 50 yards max with irons). I'm taking out the 30-06 tomorrow for the first time in a while, and I'm a bit concerned about the flinch I've developed. Does anyone have any suggestions for helping to eliminate the twitch? I know- practice, practice, but I don't wanna keep practicing with bad habits and make the flinch worse. Thanks

oldkim

invest in a good .22 (Ruger 10/22)

So, the .243 is pretty light on the recoil. The 30-06 isn't bad but it sounds like you are pretty newer to large rifles. Add a recoil pad.

But get the trigger time - you need to practice on a lighter easier platform... How about a .22? Ruger 10/22 is nice as it can be decked out to whatever you want it to become. The standard is fine for plinking.

The major trick for you is the trigger time. Getting used to shooting well without the recoil. You can put a nice scope on it and should be doing quite well out to 100 yards.

Since you have obviously developed a flinch - it will take some time to focus on doing the right basic marksmanship skills (sight picture, breath control, trigger).

So instead of "wasting" and making your "bad" habits worse - take a step back and re-invest in a good basic skill builder course and rifle. So, get some basic instruction from a professional or find an experienced shooter to help you get back on track and to a better shooting path.

jimbob86

Does anyone have any suggestions for helping to eliminate the twitch? I know- practice, practice, but I don't wanna keep practicing with bad habits and make the flinch worse. Thanks

Dummy Drill.

Make a dummy round (or two!).

Have a friend load your rifle, mixing in the dummy (or dummies!) and you get into a good position .... while concentrating on the fundamentals, take aim and squeeze ..... when you flinch as the rifle goes "click!" instead of "Boom!", it will be obvious as hell. Don't do that! Try again......

I cured my daughter of a flinch when she first started shooting a 20 guage for turkeys ...... at the ripe old age of 12.

Vt.birdhunter

Get a set of snap caps.

Dry fire, dry fire, then dry fire some more.
Build muscle memory, when it comes time to shoot, your body will remember to hold still even if you dont.

shredder4286

Oldkim- I met up with an older (than me) guy who's been shooting for 30-some years, and he's going to the range with me today. I'm sure he can give me the same info as a basic rifle course would.

jimbob- i tried the dummy round idea with pistol, and that helped a good bit. i'll certainly try that with rifle

birdhunter- i already do some dry-firing, maybe not enough, though!:cool:

shredder4286

Mental memories take one or two repetitions to sink in.
Muscle memories take thousands of repetitions to sink in.

I believe you are correct, sir.

Dry fire with a few dimes stacked up on the front of the barrel without letting them fall off...

The 'ol dime/washer drill! The last time I did that was in basic @ fort sill, with an M-16. I'll have to try that, thanks:)

I ended up doing pretty decent at the range today. (can't figure out how to post pics, otherwise i'd just show you) With my handloads, I was grouping just over an inch at 100 yds, with a few fliers here and there. I would've killed an animal if it was standing there, so I'm happy for now. Thanks for the advice all:D

double bogey

When I was about 20 or so I flinched whenever I touched off a centerfire rifle. I picked up a PAST magnum recoil pad. This is one you wear. It tames a 30-06 down to below a .243. Shooting with this I was able to work myself to where recoil wasn't an issue anymore. My groups shrunk accordingly. When you hunt, recoil isn't noticed, however, at the range even a 30-06 can wear on you. Try it, it will help. You can shoot all day without an issue.

shredder4286

I picked up a PAST magnum recoil pad.

Well sir- apparently you and I are on the same train of thought! I just happened to buy that exact recoil pad yesterday! That thing is at least an inch thick, so I imagine it'll tame the '06 down pretty well. :D