Flechettes

Blue Grass

Anyone have any experience with using flechettes ? Would they be an effective home defence load? I've never seen one fired and have no idea how they would compare to buckshot. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
No use... no consistency in accuracy nor penetration. Viable concept that failed the float or flush test. So it is offered as a "novelty" round.
Brent

rantingredneck

What Brent said.

The indivdual flechette's are very lightweight and lack sufficient mass to really penetrate.

On another note, this is one of those things you don't want introduced into evidence by your DA if God forbid you ever have to defend yourself with a firearm. I'm not one who usually subscribes to "Don't use "X" for HD or the DA will roast you...." arguments, but in this case that's one potential downside, among many, with no potential upsides.

Stick to proven buckshot loads. My personal favorite is Federal's LE12700 offering.

Lee Lapin

Flechettes worked OK when launched by the POUND using artillery rounds and 2.75" FFARs (aircraft-launched rockets). I think the 2.75 rocket had a 10-pound flechette warhead, IIRC. http://www.aircav.com/hydra70.html

Shotguns? Nope.

Flechette loads in shotgun shells are very effective at separating people who don't know any better from their $$$ however.

lpl

Last edited:

Rich Keagy

But, think of the psychological impact when the BG sees a dozen little arrows sticking out of his chest.
Personally, I have a 45.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
I used to have a couple shooting and drinking( Not at the same time) buddies who had worked at Aberdeen Proving Ground.

They had worked on an ambush buster, two full auto 12 gauges synched with a 9mm Subgun loaded with tracers. It worked, but claymores proved cheaper.

They had nothing but disdain for fletchette ammo for shotguns. No stopping power, no range, no advantage over standard 00 and no reason to use them.

ADB

I used to have a couple shooting and drinking( Not at the same time) buddies who had worked at Aberdeen Proving Ground.

They had worked on an ambush buster, two full auto 12 gauges synched with a 9mm Subgun loaded with tracers. It worked, but claymores proved cheaper.

Evidently, though, they DID mix drinking and engineering. Yikes!