Flattop AR-15

FPrice

I have the opportunity to trade my Colt Match Target, 1 in 7 twist, with the regular carrying handle for a flattop Match Target, 1 in 9 twist. It has a few options which make it a good deal but i am more concerned about the flattop itself. Are there any problems I should be made aware of concerning flattop models? Are they legal for DCM matches?

The reason I am trading is that I don't have the money to buy it outright; I also have a pre-ban AR-15 so all I am really doing is upgrading my second rifle.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Frosty

Ivanhoe

The only problem I can think of with flattops is that the different manufacturers have different rail heights (relative to the bore centerline), so the detachable carryhandle sights won't line up right if you build a "humbug" rifle (i.e. parts from different manufacturers). Since you can get all the Colt parts you might need, I'd go for it.

Mikey

Frosty,

I have a Colt 6700 and it's a great gun but..

Not legal for DCM/CMP due to removable handle and not really desirable across the course due to the 1/9 twist (won't handle the 80 gr bullet very well)

If you stick to 69 gr and less (esp 55 gr) it's a tack driver when free floated. Factory trigger sucks but a Jewel can fix that. The flat top makes for lots of sighting options but has no other real advantage.

Mikey

slickpuppy

Mikey pretty much covered it. The 1 in 9 will limit you across the course when those big heavy bullets are needed.

You would be better off just buying a flattop upper with a 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 twist barrel and going with that.

You can probably find something like that over at ar15.com