Fl. Vehicle Carry.. Asking For Trouble??

karstho

Need input/Advice

I am a Fairly Recent Firearms owner and and somewhat familiar with the Firearms laws for Florida.

I drive a commercial van for a living and until recently carried my firearm "Securely Encased" In a pistol case on the passengers seat. After a while I discovered that this was not working due to a few incidents of abrupt stops, starts, etc. which caused my pistol, case and all, to fly onto the floorboard. To resolve this I invested in a inexpensive thumbreak holster and proceded to clip it to a tote box which sits in between driver and passenger seats. This seemed ideal as the gun does not move whatsoever and sits ready next to my thigh if need be. Until Today.... As I was driving on the Interstate an 18 wheeler happened to be pacing at a similar speed in the right hand lane. I looked over to give a friendly nod just in time to notice him doing a double/triple take at me!! I then realized that at his level he could see my pistol plain as day!!! Now from what I have read it says my pistol "IS" securely encased in a snapped holster, but am still concerned that I may have a problem... Any Suggestions/Comments????

:confused:

RikWriter

Well, first off, you would be best off just going ahead and getting a CCW permit. They aren't that hard to get.
Second, you would be safer legally keeping the pistol in some sort of glove compartment. Failing that, how about a tool box you could put between the seats?

karstho

Thanks for the advice....

Should have metioned that I'm taking My CCW class tomorrow. Turnaround time for permit seems to be the full 90 days from what im told... Wish me luck!!!:D

P.S. Glove box would be great If my van only had one!! D#$N DUAL AIRBAGS!!

Redlg155

It is easy to get a Concealed Carry Permit in Florida. It is also available for Non Residents as well as residents, so there is really no excuse not to get one if you intend on carrying in Florida.

Check this also for complete information.
http://licgweb.dos.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

And another site that may help..
http://www.magicnet.net/~flynn/fla-gun.html

It is not necessary to have a license or permit to carry a loaded firearm in a private vehicle, so long as the gun is "securely encased".

Taken from the State Website/FL Statutes Definition Section.
(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
....................................................................................................
Securely encased does not mean on your person when it refers to being snapped in a holster. I also would highly suggest that you DO NOT store your weapon in the glove box unless you have another area where you store your vehicle registration and insurance. This will save you a LOT of potential problems at a traffic stop.

I would also again suggest that you get a concealed carry permit because you will not be questioned why you have a weapon in your vehicle. Just because you have a carry permit is enough to answer that question. Depending on the attitude of the stopping officer, you may be in for a lengthy questioning session.

Besides, what good is a weapon when you can't get to your car??

Good Shooting
RED

Redlg155

OOPs..didn't see the Concealed Weapon Permit reply. Must have been while I was posting. And good for you!! Every new permit holder we have is a show of support for us!

It only took me two weeks for mine...but then I'm in Corrections and skipped the background!:D I know..I could have carried without one under the Law Enforcement off duty exemption, but having a CC permit also gets you out of waiting three days for your weapon (new purchase and not a handgun trade in). There is no expemtion for LEO's on that one...even LEO's have to wait three days for a handgun without CC permit.:D

Good Shooting
RED

karstho

Thanks for the advice so far. I do not carry holster on my person in its snapped holster (at least until I recieve My CWP). I guess my confusion is more in the area of it being visible by other drivers. Due to my van being full size, its seems that only tractor trailer trucks or possibly large 4 wheel drives would notice. To rectify the situation today I simply draped a Tshirt/Rag over it. This is when the questions began running through my mind for the remainder of my 2 hour ride. Perhaps I should just deal with it in the pistol case till My permit materializes....