Fixing up the smelly

WeedWacker

I have two No 4's. One is a t-marked receiver someone thought was a great candidate for a .45 ACP conversion. The other is a CAI sporter. I have been wanting to restore the CAI since the day I got it, but with this new acquisition I had an expensive thought. Would it be worth it to swap the barrels and build up a No4 sniper from the T receiver? It seems like a money pit but it's something I want for my collection someday to match my sniper Mosin and restored 1903A3.

kilimanjaro

For resale value it might be better to just get the real thing.

Parts are parts, you won't get your money back on them.

WeedWacker

Yeah, I know. It just seems wrong to leave it like that. That and it's a hobby thing right now. Polish it up, make it nice. I still need to parts to restore the stock and I think I know what to get but I barely know what I'm doing as it is.

New question, what parts are needed to restore the front half of the stock?

Fore end
front/rear handguard
barrel band
handguard retainer

Missing anything?

If the 45 ACP conversion is done well I would not change it. I think quite a few are interested in those. I might even be interested, especially if date of conversion is 50 years back.

T. O'Heir

A No. 4 Rifle is not a 'smelly' except one from Century. Those are notorious for being assembled out of parts bins with zero QC. Check the headspace. And slug the barrel(s) before doing anything. No point spending money on a rifle with an oversize barrel ID.
Lee-Enfields are indeed money pits these days. If you need a bolt head for example, you're looking at $20 minimum. And the days of there being stock sets are gone.
Better to spend the money on an entire rifle. Assuming that's possible. Any rebuild will always be a rebuild with low to no collector value.

WeedWacker

Thanks for the responses, the .45 is not for sale. It's a recent conversion and still needs work on the extractor and maybe magwell to get the mag release to work right. Eventually it will be suppressed.

Right now I'd like a restored Lee Enfield for my collection and I thought I would ask here first if my parts list was complete or lacking.

It's a recent conversion and still needs work on the extractor and maybe magwell to get the mag release to work right. Eventually it will be suppressed.
Act fast. I think I remember the company that was making those parts was discontinuing them b/c demand was down with original rifles drying up.

WeedWacker

I just need to modify an extractor and dremel the trigger guard around the magwell to fit the conversion block mag release. It's an interarms conversion I believe, just for your information. I'm more interested in the restoration of my .303 than the conversion, however.

Front and rear handguard, fore stock, barrel band, and handguard retainer. Are there any other parts in missing?

tahunua001

well this is an interesting turn of events. I say that because I am the "someone who thought it would be a good idea to convert it to 45ACP". for the record, that rifle was built from a pile of scrap parts. it is why you have a t receiver with the L style flip peeps, why one of the scope mounts is missing (was busted off back in the days that these sold for $50 and the guy just junked the whole rifle), and it's cobbled together in general. I also toyed with the idea of restoring it to original configuration, but ended up obviously not doing that, and here were my basic thought processes for doing so.

1. at the time, the 45ACp conversion was advertised as a cheaper alternative.

2. there is not a single matching serial number on that gun, mostly because it was built in someones basement from several stacks of parts. what parts couldn't be scrounged were either added by the 45ACP conversion or had to be ordered from numrich, hence no collectors value, and no real reason to restore in the first place.

3. even if you spent the $2000+ to build a T reproduction rifle, it would still have zero matching serial numbers, no collectible value, and you'd still be stuck with a $500 gun that has way more into it than it's worth(only thing keeping the value above $100 is the T on the side)

I got in way over my head and the kit did not perform as advertised and I ended up getting in a giant peeing match with the manufacturer which eventually led to nowhere. without any gunsmithing skills to correct the shortcomings of that kit I traded the whole gun for a single new tire for my truck. the guy I traded to tried a lot of home gunsmithing and sent it away to a professional for a little more, but without any real understanding of the manufacturer's thought processes, I doubt they made the gun any more reliable or functional. I think given basic investment-return associations, your most cost effective thing you could hope for would be to just dump $500 to a local gunsmith and hope he knows enough to get the gun functioning properly. Charlie Driver in Culdesac generally gets good reviews on his work, but I could never figure out how to get a hold of him.

if you intend to restore it, here is a complete list of everything you'll need.

303 brit barrel with front sight post intact.
complete stock set (which with enfields almost always require special fitting)
front and rear barrel bands
new rear peep(which is a pain because of the spring loaded detent.
a new extractor(because of modifications made during the conversion process.
a new ejector(original is missing because of the conversion.
a new rear scope mount.
the scope rail itself, when a reproduction rail can be found usually runs several hundred dollars.
cost of a scope of course.
the Ts require a riser block to be bolted onto the buttstock to raise the cheek weld to a decent level.
magazine
... all of this is assuming the previous owner hadn't made further changes since the last time I talked to him

I hope you get the century back up to snuff. it should prove a little more economical to work with.

Last edited:

gyvel

It sounds to me like you have a good candidate for restoration, so I would forget about the .45 ACP conversion.

If you want a .45 carbine, buy a 16" barrel for a 1911 and one of the so-called "Lebanese" shoulder stocks.

tahunua001

Been there. Sounds like you started a great project out of a pile of random junk. I'm sure you learned a little, both about the rifle and other aspects of life, along the way.
that did indeed happen. although I was not successful with the enfield, I did get enough together to build a 1903A4 out of parts from the same basement(with the help of a LOT of special order parts elsewhere) and my little brother built a fully functional enfield sporter there as well which he used to get his elk this year... I kindof wish that person still had piles of stuff to dig through... it was a fun place:D

oh, to the OP, I have finally read through most of this thread. I personally wouldn't try inletting the stock for the mag release. you'd end up cutting through the magwell plate/trigger housing which could affect how the trigger contacts the sear. I figured out that if you rock the mag block slightly to the rear during a mag change, it gives the mag release enough clearance to work without the magwell plate getting in the way.

Last edited:

WeedWacker

Yeah, I figured that out too, but was thinking about at least giving the inletting a go since the manufacturer directions call for it. I'm picking up a spare trigger guard first to at least practice on.

Tahunua001, what were the problems that made you ditch the project? I've ran some rounds through the system and it seems to nosedive when feeding, but all I have right now are HP .45's. It seemed to extract fine, granted I haven't had a chance to make it to a range yet so no idea how it performs under pressure.

tahunua001

I never had feed problems to speak of, if I recall, you do need to exert a little more force than on your average smelly. my biggest problem was headspacing. the extractor claw prevented proper head spacing because the barrel is not inletted to allow for the claw like the factory enfield barrels. apparently the manufacturer(special interest arms if you would like more info) calls for filing down the extractor but that weakens them and I'd think you'd run a big risk of ruining the extractor by doing so. what I think should be the course of action would be for a gun smith to use a snap cap to headspace the barrel, then use something like lipstick to coat the extractor and find where the barrel and extractor claw contact and then use a rasp to inlet the barrel to allow for the extractor claw. I found that when you got a good contact with an empty casing the extractor had enough force to eject the empty casings rather than the current ejection problems that I've heard about it having since the extractor was filed on. the other thing was I hadn't settled on an option for sights yet and needing the headspacing done prior too that so I could decide how to mount a front sight, just made it a pain that I didn't want to have to deal with... that and I ran out of money and desperately needed tires for my truck.