Fixing a Mdl 28

Navy joe

That isn't broke...

I have a nice P&R Hwy Patrolman that I want to love. The two problems are the coke bottle grips and the 1/2" wide serrated trigger. I have big hands but this still doesn't fit me.

So. best ideas for more ergonomic WOOD square butt stocks and a replacement trigger. I may just take a mill and sander to the stock trigger if it seems easier.

AK103K

I had a 4'' Model 29 with the same problem. I cut the trigger with a hack saw and filed it to my liking. Also cut the hammer spur off, making it DAO.

I also took the factory target stocks and carved them down to something more appropriate and comfortable.

Standard "service" stocks and a Tyler T grip work well too.

I had a 4" Model 28 and sold it. Its one of the few guns I do regret selling, along with the Model 29. I picked up this Model 28 off a boy at work that was getting divorced for $150. Decent price, but I hate the long barrel. Both my 4", and this one came with the narrow triggers and hammers.

ry%3D400

Winchester_73

I have a nice P&R Hwy Patrolman that I want to love. The two problems are the coke bottle grips and the 1/2" wide serrated trigger. I have big hands but this still doesn't fit me.

So. best ideas for more ergonomic WOOD square butt stocks and a replacement trigger. I may just take a mill and sander to the stock trigger if it seems easier.

OK.....the HP never originally came with coke bottle grips AND those are quite valuable. I suggest you take them off and protect them. A nice pair will bring $300 without much effort to a S&W guy.

The problem that I'm seeing is that perhaps the gun being in target configuration doesn't fit your hands. The HP was a SERVICE arm, that had adjustable sights. ORIGINALLY (unless there was a special order), the model 28 aka Highway patrolman had a standard hammer, standard aka service trigger and service grips (which show the frame all the way around)

If I'm getting your post backwards aka the grips and or gun are too small for your hand, then I suggest you get some custom grips ordered. If you want the standard size trigger, find one that will fit your gun. IIRC the L frame and K frame triggers are the same as the N or at least very close. If you want the trigger wider, when you say you have a target trigger now, I'm not sure what you should do.

I'm a little confused by your post. Anyways...

First is a pic that shows what a real coke bottle aka CBG S&W grip looks like. Many people are confused over what constitutes a coke and for what models they were placed on. The coke is on the right with its immediate successor on the left.

Also, there are some pics of the differences between a model 27 and 28. Both of these are -2 guns from my collection. The nickel gun is my 6 in 27-2, and the blued gun is my 4 in model 28-2. Both are stock aka original and in exceptional condition.

First, the CBG vs the later N frame diamond targets (which later had the diamond removed, like on my model 27 - the most common type):

standardtargetvsCBG.jpg

Here is a nice pair of CBGs. Note the larger checking pattern compared to later grips WITH the diamond around the screw escutcheon.

CBG1.jpg

Notice the wider trigger, target grips and wider hammer which were standard on the model 27 but optional on the 28. Often times a model 28 with target parts has parts which were later added by an owner for various reasons. Also the model 28 has the original N frame service grips vs the target grips of the 27. Target grips were more common for the N Frame with magnas only being on 27s by order, or model 58s. Most other N frame models you see of this vintage have target grips consistently.

27vs281.jpg

Another shot of the triggers:

27vs282.jpg

The hammer difference:

27vs283.jpg

And lastly we have the famous checkered top strap vs the non checkered plain stop strap of the model 28 aka highway patrolman.

27vs286.jpg

44 AMP

Staff
I have several model 28s, I prefer the 6". My favorite has a target hammer and trigger, and wears Pachmayr grips.

Stock M28s come only with the standard (narrow) trigger and hammer spur. However, during the 1970s S&W did sell target hammer and trigger packs to gunsmiths, and some guns got these put in, aftermarket.

I like the feel of the target stuff better than the stock version, but thats just me. I also prefer the feel of the rubber gripper grips I use. Everyone is different, what is best for you, only you can decide.

old bear

To the O/P magna grips or decent copies of are not hard to find and are not to expensive, try those. As for the wide trigger these can be replaced or modified by and decent gunsmith. The M-28 is an excellent revolver so imho selling it would be a last resort.

mete

Originally there were three triggers available , 1/4" grooved, 3/8"smooth , 1/2" grooved . I put the 3/8" smooth on my M29 and have been happy ever since .
The grips I changed out to Pachmyer rubber grips.Much better shape and the rubber absorbs some recoil.

tulsamal

I'm glad to see Winchester_73 spelled everything out. It saved me a lot of typing!

The main thing to remember is that all the vintage N frame S&W's are getting expensive. I paid $210 for my first M28 back in 1989. It was used but nearly mint. Beautiful but utilitarian gun. Now it seems like you have to buy a beater to get under $500.

So if you want to change things out, do so. But don't "grind" anything. Just replace parts with other parts you like better. Put the original stuff away for when you or your heirs decide to sell it.

Gregg

James K

Member In Memoriam
I wouldn't "fix" either the target trigger or the stocks; both are in demand and should sell fairly easily. The standard (narrow) trigger is available from several sources and there are a bunch of N-frame grips, factory and custom available.

I am not too surprised that someone would fit up a Model 28 for target work; mine is one of the most accurate guns I own and has as good a trigger pull as a Model 27 or the average K-38.

Jim

dgludwig

Check out CDNN-they are selling some very nice Herrett Custom "N-Frame Deluxe, Square Butt, Smooth Coco Bolo Wood, with Factory S&W Medallion" grips for $38.99. I bought the same set but for a K-frame revolver that I've been very pleased with.