fixing a cut ar15 barrel

deathshead

I bought an ar barrle at the last gun show that I assum was an 18 or 20 inch as its been cut to 16" with no crowning done I was considering a crown cutting tool but have also thought about buying a die (wich would be cheaper) to cut the barrle to accept a standerd ar flash suppressor wich already has the crowning in it. any thoughts?

jcadwell

Anything less than 16" on a rifle requires an application for a Short Barreled Rifle, or SBR. You should be fine if it is really 16".

As for the flash hider, you need to re-crown the barrel. The flash hider won't compensate for that. You could thread the barrel for a flash hider, but you still need to do the crown. A machine shop or gunsmith should be able to crown the barrel cheaply, and do the threads on a lathe, so that the flash hider would fit concentrically.

Good luck.

Scorch

Length of a barrel is measured from the bolt face to the end of the barrel. If the barrel measures 16" from the breach to the muzzle, it is actually shorter than 16". Put a cleaning rod into the muzzle end with a bolt head locked into the barrel, mark where the rod comes out of the muzzle and then measure from the end of the rod to the mark. If it's shorter than 16" you should get your money back. If it's longer than 16.25", recrown, thread the muzzle, and install a compensator.

jcadwell

One possibility is to install a permanently attached muzzle brake/flash hider. If it can't be removed, and it does extend the length of the assembly you are
OK. You would have to weld it or pin it on I believe.