Fixed Versus Variable Power

P-990

Okay, so I've decided to get a 24" stainless .308 barrel for my Encore after Christmas. (Consider it my "All actually I wanted this year present!" ;) ) Now with that settled, I have to decide on a scope!

My question is... Maybe this should be a poll. Who would pick a fixed power, and who would want a variable power?

My coworker and I have been going back and forth on this. He is saying 2-7x minimum, probably a 3-9x better, preferably the Leupold VX-II. (We work at a sporting goods store and have periodic "special employee sales.")

I'm saying I'd rather spend $270 on a Leupy M8 fixed 4x and figure the scope likely has better glass than the variable. I also figure it will be lighter, simpler and I won't have to worry about POI shift with power settings. (Not that I think that will be a problem with a Leupold.)

For hunting from 10 feet to 250 yards, I'm positive neither one is perfect, though the 2-7x is most versatile in this situation. I just don't see an overwhelming need for the increased complexity. (Same reason I have a single-shot rifle, I guess.)

Which side does the majority of the board agree with?

rugerdude

I like fixed powers because the last variable I had broke. However, it was an extremely cheap scope, so I doubt this will happen with the higher end ones. I also think that you will get a slightly sharper picture with a fixed power, but this is pure speculation.

Ruger4570

Other than for "varmits" I have never seen the need for anything other than a 1.5X to around 5x. If I can't tag a deer with 5x I am way to far away to be shooting at it. The entire scope manufacturing community humps 3x to 9x as being the best,, BS..3x is too much for really close shots and 9x is more than you need at reasonable ranges. Just ask someone that really knows, not someone that believes all the advertising hype. If you are sold on a 3x to 9x,, bless you,, I am not from 45 years of experience..

Trapper L

So how far do you intend to shoot? That should govern the power and type of scope. Down here I can shoot 1000 yards if I just wanted to risk it. Folks in the piney woods can't hardly see a 100 feet. The 308 is capable of making long range shots. I've dropped 400lbs+ hogs at over 500 yards with both of my 308's. For me, a fixed power scope is worthless. Frankly, a 2-7 variable is not worth having except on a little gun like a 223 or 222 for my hunting environment. Most of my scopes are around the 4.5-14 power and up to the 8-40 variables. Heck, I've even got a 3-9 on my Remington 511 bolt 22 rimfire. Pick a scope for your hunting requirements and look at them before you buy. Just because it has a large price tag and a big name doesn't mean it is worth crap. I've given up on Leopolds in the 6.5-20 scopes. I've just about wore out the UPS guy sending them back. But the Leopold 3-9s that I have are great. The Burris FFII is way far better than the Nikon Buckmaster in 4.5-14 but the Nikons are better at the lower powers. Find which scope type/power ya want then look at several brands before the buying.

taylorce1

I tend to like the lower power scopes myself, but I do like them variable. I'm using scopes like the VXIII in 1.75-6 and 2.5-8 the lower the power the faster you can acquire a target in the scope. There is nothing wrong with the 3-9 power scopes they will handle most hunting situations that will arise. While I like my Leupold's I've been looking pretty seriously at the Bushnell Elite series scopes as my next purchase for my .25-06 when it is built in a 3.5-10 or 4-16 power since this will mainly be a target/varmint rifle.

Zak Smith

Modern variable power scopes of Leupold quality or better are strong enough. The USMC just went to a 3-12x50mm S&B.

Variable power scopes are great for hunting-- leave them dialed down because when a short shot surprises you, you won't have time to turn it down.

They make different scopes for different reasons:D ..Targets scopes for target shooting,Hunting scopes for Hunting.I think a good fixed scope might give you a better picture, But can any of us tell the difference??I say its good that you are trying to find the BEST scope for your money instead of just more glass.If you just want to Target shoot get more glass so you can see more detail.If you intend to Hunt,, Less is more as far as Power settings..I have shot an (I can't remember how close the groups were)18" steal gong at 625 yards with little effort using 8X..You want field of view more than anything IMO for hunting.Also consider weight as a factor.My 8-32x burris weighs near 1 #:eek:..I think it would be a BIG mistake to get to much glass for hunting.If you go variable,My vote would be no more than 3-9X,And if fixed I would go with the 4X(I agree with Ruger4570 so Maybe consider even less magnification).JMO and hunting type(varmint/deer/,Etc,Etc)would change what would be best.Also consider your reticle choice.For Small animals and long range I would go with a fine crosshair,For Deer a regular duplex would be great.One m,ore thing,,Most scopes like 3-9X are set parallex free at 100 yards(with no parallex adjustments for long ranges).Higher power Target scopes allow you to adjust parallex out at longer ranges and that will help for your precision long range shots..Just something to consider if you want to shoot long range alot.

I am going to ramble on a bit:)Consider this.HIGH magnification scope(say 32X)can help you learn to shoot better.You can see every heartbeat,Every breath,and every trigger pulling movement..So even though you should NOT buy a higher magnification scope for hunting.Using a target rig has helped me overall to shoot FAR better than I used to.Shooting M.O.A. and near 1/2 at 100 yards with a bipod and using crappy open base 55gr fmj for reloads.My 1st try was almost effortless using 8X ,prone with bi-pod..This was the 1st time I have used 8X and crap ammo shooting off bi-pod only.Using a HIGH power scope has helped me learn technics to steady my shots no matter what power setting I am using.I know that I have a million things I could improve on but I am just saying that Sometimes (for target rigs) ALOT of glass is a VERY good thing for learning your mistakes,,and then as time goes on you dont need Higher magnification..

Picher

I like my old 2.5-8 B&L Balvar 8B better than any of my modern scopes for deer hunting. It has the right range of power; has been around the house for 30 years with no problems; has a very wide exit pupil and almost 5 inches of eye relief. My baseball hat doesn't even touch the scope when the gun recoils. To change power, you just twist the eyepiece instead of trying to find a little knobbie on a power ring. The great tapered crosshairs don't appear to change with the power. Too bad they're not made any more.

After 45 years of hunting deer at all reasonable ranges, I think the ideal scope would be a 1-10x with the features mentioned above. Unfortunately, nobody can make one with that range, so every other scope is a compromise. Just don't buy a scope with quick-focus adjustment on the eyepiece. You'll turn it accidentally, then won't see crosshairs when you need them.

Fixed power scopes are okay unless you need to see antlers before shooting, but lack flexibility. My first deer rifle scope was a 2.5x Weaver. I did some pretty good shooting with it, killing woodchucks and deer at over 200 yards, but would have been much better off with a good variable, if I could have afforded one.

Picher

smiljko

In my opinion -best allround scope is 1,5-6x42 - wide F.O.V for brush hunting,and enough power for long range shooting. Of course there are better scopes for each purpose-2,5-10x56 for dusk and night hunting or 1-4x24 for brush hunting(compact,light,doesen't get damaged easily).But with the 1,5-6x42 you get allround scope.

Cheers

tINY

You don't really need a variable - a 4x is probably fine for a 308 for targeting.

But, even though they tell you not to use your scope as a binocular, we all do it. Having 9x in a good, clear scope can really help you decide if you want to shoot THAT buck.....

-tINY

mikejonestkd

A 2-7 or 3-9 is more than enough for deer hunting. I always leave my variables on the lowest setting in the field. The higher power is handy for sighting in and for a real close look at THAT particular deer before you decide to shoot.

Enjoy the .308 barrel for your encore!!! I love mine!!! Regular .75" groups at 100 yards with premium factory ammo.

P-990

Thanks all!

I think I may just wait and save and go with a 2-7 VX-II Leupy. It's similar to the scope I had on my last high-powered deer rifle. (I have nothing but iron sighted big bore iron right now.)

This will be a hunting rifle. Granted, I hope it will be accurate enough to be a target rifle, but it's primary mission will be to shoot things with fur.

I don't need no stinkin' rifle scopes for target shooting!! ;) I shoot an AR-15 in Highpower matches, so I feel magnification really has nothing to do with shooting a good shot anywhere but from a solid, solid rest, at a small or fleating target. For 50 yards in the woods, it'll just make life easier.

mikejonestkd,

That's heartening news! I sent my muzzleloader barrel back to the factory because it was spastic and inconsistent. It was accurate on most days, but some days I couldn't get it to shoot anything! The tech was very patient and after listening to me told me to send it to his attention. Two and a half weeks out, still waiting, but won't get impatient until after New Year's. At any rate, I should get a new front sight that will properly zero the barrel! :eek:

Edited: Hunting terrain is New Hampshire wood lots and odd power line cuts. I imagine from Maine to upstate New York the woods are pretty similar, or have areas like what we hunt. Some are dense evergreen and close range; other areas you can see for a hundred yards in the softwoods. And might I mention that level ground is the spot where you're sitting at the moment, but subject to change going one step left or right! ;)

I like glass ALOT but I you right about the open sights.I used my friends ak74 and did some decent shooting with open sights at 300 yards.Some people are simply amazing with open sights.Using high power scopes has shown me how many mistakes I can make and I have learned to be more stable and consistent with shots..
I would actually use open sights for hunting more than target shooting.I would think it would be the same for you were you are used to ar15's with open sights.?

mikejonestkd

p-990,

The only thing you have to really pay attention to with an encore is the amount of pressure you put on the forend when you sight it in. I usually rest my encore right in front of the action, not farther out on the forend. Changing the placement on the rest can cause fliers very easily.

I have yet to find an encore centerfire barrel that won't shoot less than 1.25" groups at 100 yards with premium ammo.

My .223 is fairly consistent at .75" 5 shot, my dad's .22-250 is slightly better, my .308 will shoot .75" fairly regularly. Fliers are a problem when i don't pay attention to to rest and push or pull on the rifle on the bench...

Putting a harris bipod on it for field use changed my point of impact a full 2" at 100 yards, just from the pressure on the forend.

Jseime

I like to have a 3-9 on top of my rifles, heck I even have one on my .22. However, while I am hunting I usually dont have time to fiddle and diddle with adjusting the power of my glass. I generally keep them around 4-6X.

If I have the time to set up a nice slow careful controlled shot then Ill crank it up to nine.

Necessary: no
Nice to have:yes

P-990

I have yet to find an encore centerfire barrel that won't shoot less than 1.25" groups at 100 yards with premium ammo.

Cool. :)

Yeah, I know about the consistency and pressure thing. I made sure to position the forend the same every shot. The ProHunter forend has grip grooves, and I just count which one was on the edge of the sand bag and index off of that. And it won't have a bipod attached, just a sling. After all of the time and rounds I spend practicing for Highpower (and shooting matches) I am pretty comfortable with the simple setup.

So this looks like the rig:

24" SS .308 Encore barrel
2-7x33mm Leupold VX-II, matte duplex
TC Weaver rail
Probably a set of Warne or Maxima rings
Maybe a ProHunter forend, maybe the standard synthetic job, not sure which

And ammo! I mustn't forget about the ammo! :eek: