fixed sight single action revolver

bobn

hey guys, shot some cowboy action today with my awa revolver. it shoots four inches to the left and six inches low. could you guys guide me which way to file the rear sight notch and the front post? distance is 7 yards, caliper is 45 colt, barrel is 4 5/8s, thanks bobn

Tom2

I thought the procedure on a single action like that is to file down the front sight a bit to raise the group and have a gunsmith rotate the barrel slightly to cant the front sight right or left to move the groups. If it shoots that far off at 7 yards though, you got a problem, I think. That is way out of the ballpark and I might send it back to the mfr. or something. If it was that far off at 25 yards, I could see making adjustments, but that close, something must be out of whack in my opinion. I would think you could shoot it closer than that without sights at 7 yards.

44 AMP

Staff
Before you file anything

try some different ammo. Try a bunch of different loads. You may just find one that hits close to point of aim for your gun.

I don't like to file sights, it is a permanent solution to what is usually a temporary problem. try a different brand of ammo. A different bullet weight, a different velocity. Somewhere out there is a combination that will cure your problem.

Or, it also could be you,....low and left could be a problem with your grip and trigger squeeze, not your gun and ammo. Have someone else shoot your gun and ammo, and see how they do. if they don't go low and left, the gun doesn't need work, you do.

bobn

thanks for reply. i shoot a berretta stampede in the right holster, awa in left. cannot miss with stampede, might need another one. bobn

Harry Bonar

45 Colt

Sir:
44AMP just may have the answer!
If you're a right handed dude you will have the tendency to pull low and to the left but I don't think you're doing that since the other gun shoots great.
If, the bbl is in the frame straight (I've found lots that aren"t) and the notch is centered in the frame and the front sight is centered I would not turn the bbl. I think 44AMP has that answer. If something is not out of line I've found the factory bbl. crown off alot. It is normal with a fixed sight colt to hit low - and most, with your load will need to be filed down.
It has been my experience that the Italian colt replicas have several of these things off - in which case I'd return the revolver to the dealer and get another one - they do vary!
Harry B.