fixed sight question

bhcarl

If a fixed sight revolver in 357 comes from the factory sighted in to hit at a certain, where would it hit at with 38 spl. 158gr factory loads?

k4swb

In my experience, most guns shoot to different POI with different shooters. I will almost always shoot a gun high and right if it shoots perfectly for someone else.

There is really no way to tell where the bullets will land for any given shooter without actually shooting them.

jrothWA

Recall this question in mid-80's American rifleman...

basically the sight-in is with 158gr .357Mag ammo, so that the "recoil flip" is zeroed out, to produce a POA/POI.

Lower speed .38 likely result in a lower impact due to less recoil.

Best is to try it at range, think 25yds + may have greater difference.

Close-up might not matter.

Newton24b

not all gusn will shoot the same way with the same ammunition.

some barrels shoot faster then othersdo and that can affect impact to a point. but heres a little fact

ive been told that at 25-30 yards i have to hold a foot UNDER my bullseye using my 1860 (roundball, 30gr P). but just discovered yesterday i just gotta line the sights where want the bullet and the bullet goes there. no foot high crap.

warningshot

What!

Fix sights, working S&Ws, have been designed to hit a little high because S&W assumed you, the shooter, would be qualifing using a 6 o"clock hold at 25 yards using a standard 158 38 special, shooting at a specific NRA target number that escapes me now.

If you shoot at this target, with a 6 0'clock hold, the bullets will strike center of the round bullseye, that is if you do your job.

Also....If this concept escapes you, remember...in this case....a faster & lighter bullet will hit a little low or closer to Point of Aim Point of Impact.

Jim March

The tendency is for the same shooter to shoot to at least a similar elevation with a given gun and bullet weight, regardless (within limits!) of bullet speed.

In other words 158gr 38 (and esp. 38+P) will tend to shoot to the same elevation as 357 158s.

If the 357 load is VERY stout in too light a gun the recoil may overwhelm the shooter and screw this up. And very light loads can do stupid things too sometimes. But in general...yeah, that's the trend.

WildBill45

Lower speed .38 likely result in a lower impact due to less recoil.

This is not true in some cases, as the slower bullet is in the barrel longer, thus, may shoot higher since the muzzle will be higher with the extended upward movement due to a longer time in the cycle of firing the bullet and exiting the barrel!

warningshot

I shoot a, formerly loved from San Quentin Gun Locker, 4 inch S&W Model 64.
My 158 grain 800fps loads impact high at point of aim. My 110 grain +1,000 fps loads result in point of aim point of impact at 17 to 29 yards.

I get identical results no matter what powder & primer & OAL ect ect...factory or home grown load. Down range results are same same. I will post the official qualification NRA pistol target number soon so you can try this for yourself as well.

Working guns like these go thru many changing cominations of shooter and ammunition manufactures; what is common is the bullet weight, target size & distance and sight picture.

Walklightly

fixed sight question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a fixed sight revolver in 357 comes from the factory sighted in to hit at a certain, where would it hit at with 38 spl. 158gr factory loads?

Is this what we call an open ended question?