Fixed power scope vs. Variable power scope on a hunting rifle

Servo77

I am debating on sticking a fixed or variable power scope on my rifles. Pros and cons of both? Which do you prefer and why? Also, if you go fixed, what power and why?

zoomie

I only have one fixed - a 4x on my rimfire. I bought it largely because I could buy higher quality glass in a fixed than in a variable for the same price. Every other scope is variable. I think they're plenty rugged and give me the obvious flexibility to go from a woods stand or stalking to a field stand. I can see for benchrest where a very high power fixed would be good with no chance of POI shift, but for hunting, I don't see any advantage to a fixed except price.

Last edited:

Mannlicher

hard to tell you what is 'best' without knowing what kind of rifle, what game you are hunting, ranges you encounter and a host of other variables.

I hunt in heavy cover, swamps and thickets. My 'go to' rifle is a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag, with a Leupold 2.5X.
In the different terrain, I use low power variables, and if hunting across fields or clear cuts, I'll take a higher fixed or variable power scope.

A lot of times, folks using a variable keep it on a given setting 95% of the time. Nothing wrong with a fixed power.

Tom2

How about this advantage, something less to go wrong and more durability possible. But even I have a low powered variable on a .22 simply cause I could not find a fixed power in the configuration of straight tube for low mounting that I wanted. And the price was a steal.

oneounceload

While I have both, I prefer fixed - less to go wrong - I leave my variables on a fixed power setting anyway......since I lived out West, I prefer 6 or 8 power fixed. Now living here in the East, something less might be better - I haven't used my rifles here as of yet

ZeroJunk

I've never had anything go wrong with a scope and I have had a bunch and hauled them all over creation, horses, airlines, snow storms, rain storms, whatever. So, I don't see any downside to a variable. Whether you use it or not it's there for you.

But, you can't compare a Leupold 6X to a $49 Tasco variable.

j.chappell

I prefer fixed over variables in most all hunting. I have no problem with a fixed 2.5x, 4x, and even 6x on a hunting rifle used for small, medium, and large game.

I have found over the years that I tend to keep my variables on the lowest setting and rarely moving from that point (for all of my game rifles).

I do like variables on walking varminters; it’s nice to have that low setting for close work as well as a slightly higher setting for those longer shots that present themselves on smaller targets.

A few questions...what cartridge is your rifle chambered in, what type of hunting are we talking about, and what type of cover and terrain do you hunt?

J.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I divide it between "need" and "want". As far as I'm concerned, "need" ends with a fixed 4X for most deer hunting. One of my longer shots, 350 yards, was made with my 3.9 variable set on 3X, FWIW. One shot, DRT.

I like having a 2x7 or a 3x9, just for the greater precision on little critters. And, generally, higher magnification helps in target shooting.

I also like using the higher magnification when hunting from a stand, as a final check as to whether or not the buck is really good enough to shoot. But I don't regard this latter as a necessity; I have binoculars.

Fat White Boy

I put a 4X on my Savage Model 340 in .30-30 because I don't use it much beyond 200 yards and 4X is plenty of magnification at that range...

jmr40

Fixed power scopes are lighter, smaller and more rugged than variables. I could make do just fine with a good 4X scope, but most all of my scopes are either 2-7 or 3-9. I like the 2-7 range best because I use them mostly on the lower 2X setting. Makes for better close range work and I can adjust higher if needed.

smith357

I prefer fixed power scopes on my hunting rifles, there are less parts to break and fewer things that can go wrong and foul up your hunt. I also like my hunting rifles to have iron sights, in case of a scope failure I can remove the scope and continue the hunt.(though my poor eyesight limits my open sight shots to under 100 yards) Never trust batteries or glass when in the feild.

wyobohunter

If somebody else hasn't already said it... You get better optical quality from a fixed for the same money. Compare a 4 or 6 power Weaver K series to a comparably priced ($120-$140) variable. No comparison. Less money wasted on making it variable means more money that can go into optical quality.

I have both, in hindsight I shoulve just gone with fixed on at least one rifle that has a variable scope... Oh well, the deed is done.

mapsjanhere

Really depends on your hunting landscape, if everything is forest with 100 yards max shooting, you're fine with the more buck for the money fixed scope. If you're hunting open areas where you might get a shot at 300, you'd probably be happy to turn that variable to 10x.

fisherman66

If you're hunting open areas where you might get a shot at 300, you'd probably be happy to turn that variable to 10x.

Fer deer? If you can't make a clean shot with a 4 power at 300 yards on a deer then the problem is not the scope.

LateNightFlight

Today's variables are better than the old variables - that's for sure. I like variables. The only fixed power I still have in service is a 4X on a .22. (Edit: This isn't true. I just remembered another one with a good old fixed power.) The fixed 4X on the .22 replaced an old variable that had a phenomenal change in POI with every change in power - something almost unheard of in today’s variables.

Fisherman, I think I'm the exception to the rule of 4X always being enough. A few years back I emptied a magazine without connecting. I fished the last cartridge out of my pocket, single loaded it, cranked it up to 12X and drilled it D/C of the chest. (That's what I love about the rut. When else is an animal going to let you keep trying until you get it right? :eek:) Personally, I like something well above 4X for shots to the other end of a bean field.

Last edited:

fisherman66

Fisherman, I think I'm the exception to the rule of 4X always being enough. A few years back I emptied a magazine without connecting. I fished the last cartridge out of my pocket, single loaded it, cranked it up to 12X and drilled it D/C of the chest.

To each their own, but I find a low power scope not only speeds up the shooting process, but it makes those annoying heart beat wiggles all but disappear. I think the Leupold FX 2.5x20 Ultralight will top my main hunting rig. I don't believe I've ever shot at game over 200 yards, but I should be good all the way out to MPBR on a 7x57. I've been waffling between the 2.5x20 and the 2-7x33. I think it would be nice to have a lighter, no fiddle tool on top.

sasquatch

If you can't make a clean shot with a 4 power at 300 yards on a deer then the problem is not the scope.

I'd like to hear your theories on this when you are, say, 55 years old, or older. Trust me.....a 4X scope doesn't cut it at 300 yards when you are approaching Medicare age.

ZeroJunk

I'm with Art's point on this. I use the scope power to judge the quality of the rack more than to make the shot. I really don't want to kill medium/small bucks and would rather kill a fat doe. But, I will shoot a wall hanger. Sometimes it's hard to see what's on top in low light, long range , and good cover.