Fixed or variable

Rob96

I have a Remington 700ADL Varmint in 308. I want to top it off with some decent glass. Right now I am looking at the Bushnell Elite 3200. Part of me wants to do it old school with a fixed 10x, but am wondering if I should go with a 3-9x. Range of use will be 100-400yds.

WeedWacker

If you have a particular intent like long range shooting a fixed 10x isn't a bad idea. If you expect ranges inside 100 yards it might be a better idea to be open for something with lower power. What do you intend to do with this rifle?

Rob96

The main use of this rifle will be strictly on the range. Occasionally it will go out for coyotes and may make a trip to Nebraska where a shot at a deer could be 100-400yds. I really don't see this rifle for under 100yds.

jmr40

Go with a good quality 3-9. You will get more scope for the money. At 400 yards and under that is plenty of power.

James R. Burke

I think JMR40 suggestion is the way to go. I have had a few differnt ones, and now stick to the 3x9x40 or 3x9x50. On most my rifles I get a better check weld with the 40mm. I leave them set at 4x, and dont believe I have moved them very many times.

338shooter

I agree that a 3-9 or even a 4-12 will suite well. If you get a fixed 10 power there may come a time, while deer hunting in Nebraska, that you wish you could turn the power down.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I know from use that even the 3X setting on a 3x9 works on Bambi at 350 yards. 7x works on prairie dogs at 300. I put a '97 vintage Simmons 44 Mag 3x10 on my '06, and had no trouble getting sub-MOA groups at 500 yards.

A reasonable-quality 3x9 meets a bunch of needs, and is certainly more versatile than a fixed 10X.

handlerer2

The 40, 42, or 50mm is referring to the diameter of the front lens. A larger front lens gathers more light, but has to be mounted further above the bore to clear the barrel. Some shooters find larger diameter scopes to less intuitive to aim, because of the cheekweld, which is easier on a lower mounted scope. 40-42mm is the largest that can be low enough not to require tall rings.

jmr40

It should be written 3-9X40. The 3-9X refers to the scopes magnification. A 3-9X scope is adjustable from 3 to 9 times (X) magnification. The last number refers to the size of the front objective in millimeters.

There are lots of combinations with 3-9X40 being the most common. A fixed power would just list the magnification and objective size, 4X32, etc.

Binoculars use the same system. For example a pair of 8X40 binoculars magnify 8 times and have a 40mm front objective.

TX Nimrod

For a range-only scope, an adjustable objective for parallax correction is more important than adjustable power settings. Less important in the field, parallax adjustment does make a difference on the range. Light gathering has little value either, so a smaller objective allows a better shooting position.

NWCP

I like either a 2x7x33 on my AR for coyote. It's light weight, low profile and medium magnification gives me more flexibility. My bolt action CZ .223 wears a 4.5x14x44. It has a 1 in 12 twist rather than the ARs 1 in 9 so I usually am shooting lighter loads at smaller targets and longer ranges. I find the 2x7x33 to be more than adequate for what I'm doing with it.