fixed blades not allowed?

Rifleman1776

Hope it is OK to post this here, about knives, not guns.
On a fishing forum I belong to, one member said where he lives, he didn't say where, fixed blade knives are prohibited by law and he must use only a folder.
I have never heard of such a thing. Except in my town, where some of the local police had their own 'law', they would detain and arrest anyone seen wearing a fixed blade knife. Of course, they were always released but not until a lot of hassle. And this is in a rural area with farmers, hunters and other outdoors men.

knight0334

Each state, county, or municipality has their own laws.

In PA, only automatic knives and double edged blades are illegal by state law, but some municipalities have outlawed all knives except those used for work.

natman

He's probably from the UK. You can own a fixed blade, but you can't carry it. And to make things even better, the law says you can carry a folding blade of less than 3", but a judge decided that any blade that locks is a "fixed" blade, even if it folds.

So Swiss army knives are very popular.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
There are all different kinds of knife laws. In California, it's a felony to carry a fixed blade knife concealed, but it's okay to carry a folder, of any size, concealed. It's okay even if the folder can lock open and even if it allows for one-handed opening (as long as it's not a switch blade, gravity knife or balisong, and as long as it's carried folded).

Don P

He's probably from the UK. You can own a fixed blade, but you can't carry it. And to make things even better, the law says you can carry a folding blade of less than 3", but a judge decided that any blade that locks is a "fixed" blade, even if it folds.

Thats why I'm glad I live in Floriduh

BitterTait

It's that way in Michigan. Fixed blade knives and any knife over 4 inches, unless worn as a hunting knives are illegal for carry (and case law says that unless you're in the woods & holding a license, it's not a hunting knife). Double edged are also illegal for carry. Switchblades are illegal for carry (and possibly spring-assist, the law's vague enough to make me worried), but there's an exception for people with only one arm.

Webleymkv

It's not that way in Indiana. The only bladed weapon specifically prohibited here are automatic knives (assisted opening is OK), ballistic knives, and "Chinese Throwing Stars" which is intepreted as any throwing knife with blades set at angles to each other.

Young.Gun.612

Anyone know where I could find a state by state breakdown of knife laws? I'd be interested in knowing if I could carry a fixed blade knife legally.

DBCooper

it is important to remember that the right to keep and bear knifes does not exist.

If we don't watch out, our cities, towns and states can pass some really tough laws against knife owners

DiscoRacing

Around here they dont worry about it much...tho I have heard that they will detain you for carrying any fixed knife over 6 inches long concealed(unless deer season).

Rifleman1776

DB, I would think knives or swords, pikes, or whatever would be considered 'arm' under the Constitution.
This and other threads that talk about restrictive laws in Michigan dissapoint me. I didn't know Michigan was spelled m-a-s-s-a-c-h-u-s-e-t-t-s. :mad:
As a child, I spent summers in Michigan and wandered around the woods and beaches with a .22 rifle and Ka-Bar knife. That would probably bring out SWAT and CNN today. :(

DBCooper

rifleman, with all due respect, I read Justice Scalia's majority opinion in Heller and "Arms" means "Firearms"

Knives are not protected under the Constitution as far as I know

you can find some good info at www.kniferights.org

Frank Ettin

Administrator
DBCooper said:
...with all due respect, I read Justice Scalia's majority opinion in Heller and "Arms" means "Firearms"...
That's because the issues raised in Heller (and McDonald, for that matter) involved guns. Courts decide the cases in front of them. That doesn't mean that "arms" in the Second Amendment doesn't also include other types of weapons.

Rifleman1776

I did qualify my statement as an opinion. e.g. "I would think....."
But it is an issue I have never even thought about. I have been a staunch 2ndA advocate all my life, including having been a lobbyist on the issue.
I guess regulating knives was so far removed from being a possibility it never entered my mind as part of the equation.
I have thought about this for a few hours now and do believe edged weapons are as much "arms" under the Constitution as firearms.

DBCooper

have you all heard what the NYC DA has done in regards to "illegal" knives?

He really bluffed/threatened Home Depot and a bunch of stores in NYC

csmsss

One other thing to consider - many states have laws regulating if not outright prohibiting the carry of double-edged bladed weapons (ie dirks, stilettos, etc).

armoredman

AZ just passed the first knife pre-emption law, no other political subdivision may pass laws more restrictive than the state, and AZ feels that if you want to carry a broadsword in public, well, don't drop it. I am actually considering a short sword of some kind for a fun toy, perhaps the Small Sword or 1917 Naval Cutlass.

wally626

Most states prohibit the concealed carry of weapons and in most states fixed blade knives are going to qualify as weapons. Folders usually do not, but there are exceptions. In VA you can open carry fixed blade knives but not conceal even with a permit because the permit only covers handguns.