FiveSeven shooting range in NY

simonrichter

I'm going to visit the States again (after five years) in late January, this time NY it is. I'd love to try the FiveSeven (which is impossible to lay your hands on in Europe). Is there any chance finding a shooting range where I could possibly try a FiveSeven around Queens, Long Island area?

alex0535

You probably picked one of the worst states to travel to for shooting.

I don't even think the FiveSeven is legal in New York anymore. All magazines that hold more than 10 rounds are banned, and from what I understand your only allowed to load 7. Someone that lives up there can probably elaborate further.

Consider coming on down to one of the more "free" states. Here in Georgia you can legally experience the FiveSeven in its full capacity form. We have no rules against high capacity magazines. If you want to pay the high price of ammunition and can find a FiveSeven to shoot, load that thing up with 20 rounds and shoot to your hearts content. AR-15 with high capacity magazine? That is fine too. Here in Georgia you can find ranges that will rent you fully automatic rifles.

If you get your ticket from Austria and you get one with a good long layover in Atlanta. Check this place out. About $50 + the price of ammunition and they will full a fully automatic rifle in your hands. If you show up on a Friday, you get to shoot 2 different full auto rifles. The Atlanta airport is the busiest in the world so finding one that stops there should be easy.
http://www.quickshotshootingrange.com/

Last edited:

mikejonestkd

Sorry, but you will not even be allowed to touch a handgun in NYS. Only NYS residents with a pistol permit can handle a handgun, and NYS does not issue permits to non residents.
I suggest a day trip to PA.

Crankgrinder

If youre planning a trip to the states which would involve shooting the South is the place to come to. The Yankee states are not anywhere near as gun friendly. NY is just plain ridiculous in their laws and so is the rest of what we in Texas call the "banana republic". Please have a great trip, and a safe trip and I sure hope it doesn't become a disappointment to you.

Kennydale

How much fun would a Five-Seven be with just 7 Shots in it. In case you missed the news NYS only allows 7 shots in a firearm and that is the total rounds. You have a better chance of sharing a Big Gulp with Former Mayor Bloomberg, than shooting this firearm anywhere in NYS.:confused:

Dragline45

If you are going to be in the NY area and want to shoot any gun you can get your hands on go to New Hampshire, Vermont, or Maine. All of these states are a reasonable drive away from NY and the gun laws are nothing like NY. If you go to Maine make sure you get some lobster, best in the entire country due to the cold waters and can be had for cheap since it's so common there.

To repeat, for emphsis:

mikejonestkd said:
Sorry, but you will not even be allowed to touch a handgun in NYS. Only NYS residents with a pistol permit can handle a handgun, and NYS does not issue permits to non residents.

"NYS" meaning "New York State." Depending on what part of NY state you will be visiting, the previous suggestions of Pennsylvania or Vermont are both good options for states bordering on New York. I was going to comment that even Connecticut isn't too bad, as I know from a couple of years ago that visitors (even from other countries) could rent guns and shoot there. However, I forgot that Connecticut now has a screwball new law requiring a permit just to buy ammunition. Pretty strange -- a shooting range can rent a tourist a gun ... but they can't sell him any ammunition to shoot through it. (At least, that's my non-lawyer understanding of it.)

So plan on a visit to Pennsylvania or Vermont.

chris in va

Could he visit PA? It's only 1.5 hours away.

BTW you're not missing anything with the 5.7. It feels just like a light 9mm. Try a 44 magnum if you want some wow factor.

simonrichter

Thank you so much for commenting and advising. Alas, I will not be able to go further than NY City and Long Island, since I'm attending a conference and will only have some afternoons off, if at all. I will have rental car as well, so other States are out of reach, thus, no fun shooting this time (seems that the gun laws in NY are even more rigid than here in Austria :eek: ...)

But I will take your advice and plan a trip beyond the Dixie line next time... :D I can shoot "regular handguns" here in Austria (we will see for how long, the EU is actually hatching something... :mad: ), but the FiveSeven is in any case beyond reach...

alex0535

I would have to be paid very well to be convinced into going into NY, and I know that I would be chomping at the bit to leave once I got there.

I feel like if the people in charge of NY had their way they would ban all guns leaving the criminals and the massive and probably very largely corrupt police force as the only people with guns. I don't think I would feel any safer if this was the case.

If you ever watch any of the FPSRussia video's on youtube, it's a pretty good example of what you can shoot in Georgia if you know the right people. Here is an interesting example, an Austrian made 40mm machine gun. About the most powerful firearm a civilian can shoot here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSp7CipN1pw&list=PLFBFCDCC3DBB96BC4&feature=c4-overview-vl

Last edited:

dakota.potts

Alex,
in what way can one own a 40mm machine gun? Are there even any under the NFA registry? I believe the person on that YouTube channel must have or know somebody who has an FFL/SOT stamp that most civilians will never get.

Theohazard

^^^ That's what he meant by "if you know the right people". And it's not a stamp, it's a specific classification of FFL. Those YouTubers are simply shooting some dealer's guns; guns that are only available to dealers with the right class of FFL.

alex0535

Dakota, I'm not really entirely sure of what the process is to own such a thing, but most of the stuff FPSRussia shoots on his channel was obtained through knowing the right people. I assume that person had the right class of FFL to own such a weapon.

And Simon, probably wouldn't get a CC permit for a 40mm machine gun. Here in Georgia a loaded long gun needs to be carried in an open manner. Probably a little bit beyond what our law makers consider a long gun :D. Posted it mostly because it's about the most extreme example I could find of what can be shot here in the south if you know the right people.

Valerko

You're not gonna find place in that area of NYS ( pretty much NYC you're describing ) that will have 5.7 to shoot. Not to mention that in NYS you can't even touch the gun , unless you have NYS pistol permit. I'm not kidding, they won't even let you handle one in the gun store unless you have permit.
Your best bet is PA. Only about 1-1/2 hour drive , you can probably find range with one. Just have to do a bit of internet search.
Good luck.

BoogieMan

I think the saddest thing about this discussion is that in Austria the OP has more freedom than he does in NY. What a shame, W. and N. NYS are beautiful. The new laws there make it even worse than my home state NJ.