Fitting Single Action Grips

Crazy88Fingers

Now that I'm reloading and can finally afford to shoot my Cimarron Model P (SAA) I'm considering putting new grips on her. Of course, they must be custom fitted to the frame, so this is going to be a project. Heck, I need something productive to do.

So my question is, how difficult is fitting a pair of grips? I've read a file and some sandpaper is all that's really necessary. I'm thinking about buying this grip kit to start off with...

http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/kits.php

Are there any videos, articles, tips and tricks you folks know about? And, of course, any pictures of finished products? :D

PetahW

Although I make my own from fancy lumber stock from a woodworking store, that kit's probably better for a beginner or somone who's only going to do it once.

It can be difficult to make a properly shaped & proportioned set - but the kit "blanks" appear to have most of the tricky shaping & contouring done for you ( Like the contour transition near the top of the rear gripframe, and the flare at the butt).

I stain/finish grips just like a rifle or shotgun stock.

salvo

I have made one set for my Virginian Dragoon. it's fairly involved if your not a wood worker!
Here are a few pics of the process!

James K

Member In Memoriam
Since you will be working with a finished revolver, fitting grips will be a PITA, but not too bad if you just take your time and are willing to go through a lot of cut and try. For final fitting, use masking tape on the frame to protect the bluing when working on the grips. (With an unfinished gun, you do the final fitting by polishing the grips down with the frame, which is a lot easier.)

Jim

Salmoneye

I found the single best 'tool' for making grips is a spindle sander...

After initial cutting of the rough shape with a bandsaw, all my shaping is done with various diameter spindles with 100 grit cylinders...

Final fitting is done by hand with 220 grit paper, and then surface is done to 600 grit paper and 0000 Steel Wool...

This is one of my earlier sets that I did out of Red Cedar...Yes...I know I messed up drilling the screw hole lol

m7b6z5.jpg

Crazy88Fingers

Thanks for the replies fellas. You've all got some good looking grips!

What do you prefer for getting a good natural oil finish on them? I've tried some Formby's "tung oil" finish on my J-frame grips and like how they came out. Also tried some boiled linseed oil on my Cimarron's current grips and I'm not crazy about it. Still I prefer it over that clear coat finish from the factory. That just felt too artificial.

Salmoneye

I really like hand rubbed boiled linseed, but if you start with a dark wood, it just get's darker...

One coat a day for a week,
One coat a week for a month,
One coat a month for a year,
One coat a year for life...

These are Spalted Maple from my wood pile maybe a month in on my BLO coats:

2n9bybt.jpg

These are Formby's:

4rt076.jpg