Fit/Finish of Stoeger Coachguns

Georgian

Hey yall, about 8 years back I stumbled upon a Stoeger Coachgun Supreme in nickel finish used at a gunstore, and happily picked it up. I sold it a number of years ago to finance another firearm. I remember it being a solid, nicely finished double, and recently decided to purchase another. Instead of going all nickel again, I decided to go with the two tone, stainless receiver/blued barrel. I purchased it through Buds Gun Shop, and it was delivered yesterday to my local dealer. Upon stopping by the shop this morning, I discovered what should have been a new gun, didn't look so new. The forend showed dings/scratches, etc. as well as the stock. The latch on the forend was sticky and did not want to lock up.

The stock/recoil pad was not mated properly, and I could pull the recoil pad away from the stock with ease. The tip of the barrel had several dings near the choke. I contacted Buds, explained the situation and they are sending a replacement. Oddly enough, I asked if they inspect the guns before shipping, to which I was told they did not. I did advised the customer service rep to have someone inspect the next firearm before shipment. Has anyone else seen this kind of shoddy work from Stoeger or was this just a lemon that no one caught?

Virginian

Sounds a bit rougher than usual, but Stoegers are budget guns, not collectibles.
Most big dealers like Bud's never open the box, they just ship them.

Georgian

Actually, this isn't the base coachgun. The Coachgun Supreme is touted as having AA-Grade Walnut stocks, recoil pad, choke tubes, etc. So this isn't just the plain jane version.

T. O'Heir

Most big mail order dealers like Bud's never see the box. Ships directly from a warehouse. Might be Bud's, might be Stoeger's. Stoeger is just the importer anyway. Chances are they didn't see the box either. This World Economy stuff is wonderful. Kudo's to Bud's just the same.
Beat up like that it may have been a shop floor demo. Either way, a Coach Gun Supreme is still an entry level SXS. MSRP is just $549. Same as every other Coach Gun. Including the Plain Jane black hardwood stocked gun.

FITASC

The Coachgun Supreme is touted as having AA-Grade Walnut stocks, recoil pad, choke tubes, etc. So this isn't just the plain jane version.

Still doesn't even put it in the category of a CZ, and they're nothing to write home about either.
Stoeger, WAY back in the old days, used to bring in high-end stuff, just like Charles Daly - not any more. Stoeger is the low-end price point stuff from the Beretta Group.

krunchnik

I have a Stoeger Condor and the only misfit in the shotgun is as you say also-the buttpad is not quite fit properly.The rest of the shotgun although is not representative of the buttpad.
IMG_1319.jpg

natman

Stoegers have the same problem all of the cheap double guns have - it takes a lot of extra work to make one function properly and too many corners have to be cut to meet a price. Even the best are somewhat crudely made and finished and QA is minimal at best. This makes the odds of getting one with problems much higher than with a double that costs enough to be well made with proper QA.

My advice is to get a good pump until you can save enough for a Browning or a Beretta.

Bill DeShivs

No dealers have guns shipped to customers from a warehouse! :rolleyes:
The gun has to physically be at the dealer's place of business, and entered into their records by law.

Virginian

Stoegers are budget guns, but the ones with double triggers and extractors are quite popular on cowboy shooting, and are pretty robust. For those who do not know, cowboy shooting is hell for guns. Rough handling, dropped on tables or in barrels, yanked open, slammed shut, rapid firing. They are not a Purdey, but they don't claim to be, either. I had one and it never bobbled. I shot some doves and quail with it when I first got it just to get a little used to it, and it worked. But, the single trigger and ejector guns have legions of detractors due to problems.

Model12Win

After some tune work, they are well regard to be good CAS and SASS shotguns.

If they're good enough for those rough riders, it'll be good enough for you.