First-timer questions

Padawan

Hello everyone. This is my first visit to these forums and they appear to be an excellent resource. I hope to become a contributing member in the future once I gain some knowledge and experience.

I will soon be purchasing my first firearm, and though I've done some research, I still find the process overwhelming. I am looking for suggestions from experienced shooters as to what an ideal first piece would be.

I've been focusing on 4 basic models, all 9mm. First was the Sig Sauer P226 Navy, which seems to be a very durable choice and appears to get good reviews. Second was the Beretta 92FS, followed by the S&W 5906, and finally the Walther P99. Would any of these be a good selection for going to the range, and (secondarily) for home-defense? Does one stand out above the rest, or is there a better option that I haven't considered?

Thank you all in advance for your time and help.

-Chris

WillBrayjr

You really cant go wrong with either. I suggest the Sig P226 Navy. Very dependable, very accurate and great customer service as well as a lifetime warrenty. If you don't have a cleaning kit please check out: www.otisgun.com, their kits are warrented for life and also have great customer service.

Welcome to TFL!!!

txinvestigator

Those are all good guns. They are all somewhat different.

The Beretta and S&W both have a slide-mounted safety/decocking lever. The gun should be carried hammer-down. I don't believe either come with light rails. They are all metal guns. The Smith has a magazine disconnect, meaning it will NOT fire with the mag out. The Beretta WILL fire without the magazine. The Beretta is quicker to take down and clean, though not much.

The Sig has a frame mounted mounted decocking lever, and no external safety. It too is carried hammer down. No light rail either. The sig is easy to break down.

The Walther is striker fired, and I believe can be carried in SA mode. It too, has no external safety. It has a light rail and is easy to break down.

The guns are very different in feel. You cannot really go wrong with any of them. You need to find the one that feels right to you and you are comfortable with.

Many here will tell you that they prefer this or that, but its like choosing a car. Everyone has different taste.

For example, Glocks and Sigs are incredible guns. I will not own either brand as they do not fit me well at all. They just do not feel good to ME. Its a shame, because I really like the sig. OTOH, The Beretta and Walther both feel great to me.

From a reliability standpoint, I would not call you off any of those.

Japle

You should also consider a Daisy 717 and a pellet trap. You'll learn more about sight alignment, trigger control and follow-through with an accurate pellet gun than you can ever learn shooting a centerfire pistol.
Plus it's super-cheap and you can shoot at home.

John
Cape Canaveral

Padawan

Thanks for all of the input so far everyone. The Sig does seem to be highly-recommended, but I've been doing some reading and it looks as though they have at least one common (and somewhat minor) problem. A number of people seem to be saying that the Sig's slide does not consistently lock once the magazine has been emptied. Can anyone confirm or deny that this is indeed common, and is there a solution for it? It just seems odd in a weapon that is renowned for it's solid reliability. Thanks once again.

txinvestigator

A number of people seem to be saying that the Sig's slide does not consistently lock once the magazine has been emptied. Can anyone confirm or deny that this is indeed common, and is there a solution for it? It just seems odd in a weapon that is renowned for it's solid reliability. Thanks once again.

I have seen this first hand, but ony with non-Sig mags. I can't recall the brand.

qwert.380

I think that you should consider the springfield xd-9 service I have the xd-40 and for the money that I wanted to spend it seemed to be the best gun. In my area you can buy the xd new for the same price as the used sig or beretta. Just an alternate choice I saw no one gave you any alternatives so here you have it. At least give it a look if anyone agrees or disagrees please let it be known. :D

SONICMASD

before you buy anything make sure you check out the TAURUS 24/7, it comes in 9mm, 40SW, or .45ACP , you can get it for $339 and IMHO the best polymer pistol out there short of HK.

Springer45

I've had a Sig P226 for about a year and maybe 1000 rounds. Not a single failure to feed, extract, or lock back. That's using factory 10-rd mags, aftermarket 10-rd and aftermarket 15-rd.

That being said, I don't think you'd regret any of the others you mention. You may want to buy used though. Since you're new to this, should you decide you don't enjoy it or have the time, you can sell a used gun for what you paid for it.

Jim PHL

The models you mentioned are all quality firearms with different characteristics. As far as quality and dependability you can't go wrong with any of them, especially in 9mm. Handle them all, rent or borrow and shoot them if you can and just pick the one you like best.

JohnLizCas

Beretta 92

If you want a light rail on a Beretta 92 try the 92 Vertec. Comes with integral light rail and the grip is a bit smaller. Love mine

Thom Rushing

Ruger Good Deal?

I am new to this sport and I am Looking for a .22 for plinking. I have been told that Ruger is the way to go because of its versatilaty. I found a Ruger 10/22 40th Ann. at a local dealer for $199. Is this a good deal?It appears to be in very good shape. No scope, no clip, no case. Just the rifle. Any advise on this or another rifle you would recommend would be greatly appreciated thanks.