first time this happened to me

eastbank

i shot this deer in thick brush, as i was trailing it i came upon it down looking the mountain like it was alive,i shot it again but it never moved. when i got up to it it,s horns were stuck in a small tree. i never had this happen to me before,i have hunted for 56 years and have killed well over 100 deer. eastbank.

Attachments

• deer-06.jpg
    deer-06.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 258
  • dear02.jpg
    dear02.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 195

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
That happens to me all the time....:rolleyes:
Nope I am fibbing! That is real cool and nope I never seen or heard nuttin like it until your story!:eek:
Brent

eastbank

scrap, yes the meat was good,i was only trailing it for a few minutes when i came upon it, my first shot hit it two small twigs and then the deer right behind the right shoulder, shredding the lungs, my second shot after comming upon it down and looking down the mountain nipped the left front shoulder and then thru the neck. if you look close at the photo,s you can see where the last shot nicked the left front shoulder. eastbank.

FrontSight

I'm sorry, I am confused...was it stuck in the tree & already dead when you shot it, or did it get stuck in the tree as it was trying to run away from you, and you caught up to it because it was stuck?

Either way, beautiful deer, congratulations!

eastbank

i first shot the deer about 90-100 yards from where i trailed it by blood spatter from the lung shot. when i came up over a small rise,i saw the deer laying down looking down the mountian(i didn,t notice that the horns were stuck in the small trees at that time) i quickly raised my rifle and shot as i didn,t want to chase it down the mountain, the second shot nippied the left shoulder and thru the neck,but it was already dead fron the lung shot. when i got up to the deer i was amazed by the position that it had died. the pictures were taken just the way the deer ended up, i only sat my rifle against the deer before taking the pictures. eastbank.

FrontSight

Oooooh, I gotcha now, sorry, sometimes I understand things slowly, lol. :eek:

That is indeed quite the pose for a deer to die in, a first for me as well...I would have def thought it was still alive & fired again...it even still looks alive in the pics!

globemaster3

Yeah, I was slow on the uptake with that description to. Wow. I would've pumped another round into him myself!

Although, I shot a nice 5X whitetail in WA State in '94. He went down this cut through thick brush, out of sight. I began tracking him and low and behold, further down the trail on an offshoot that went up the ridge on the left, he stood up about 50 yds in front of me and took off. I couldn't get a clear shot, so just sat down and waited him out, figuring he'd bleed out eventually.

It was while I was waiting I noticed a peculiar trail going deeper into the thick stuff in this cut, about a 45 degree slant from the trail that "my" deer went up. I noticed a couple drops of blood on this trail. I went down it 15 yds and there's my deer.

The other deer was a completely different animal!

troy_mclure

my granpa shot an atypical about 15 yrs ago that had 3 points from another deer jammed in the left antler.

it was broken off just past the 2nd fork.

BIGR

Nice deer. Those kind of adventures will mess with your mind. What caliber pump gun do you shoot?

eastbank

bigr, early engraved pre J lock 7600 carbine in 30-06 with a 2x7 verix11 leupold scope in leupold rings and bases., 57 grs imr 4350 with 165 nosler bt bullet, super accurate in my rifle. i have killed over 30 deer with it. i used a 760 carbine before i got this rifle. eastbank.

jorjohn11

I guess after you hunt long enough something strange will happen. Nice deer by the way. I was pheasant hunting in PA and shot a cockbird that was flying by me, it stopped flapping its wings and sailed about 60 more yards into some brush and landed on a limb. I walked up to about 30 yards and hollered, jumped and carried on and couldn't get the bird to fly again. I started throwing rocks at it and it still wouldn't fly. So I walked all the way up to it and found it was dead. It grabbed hold of a branch with it's feet and died and some twigs were holding it upright.

lon371

Nice job, Great deer. I think you should do a body mount with the tree. I think i would dedicate one of my kids room to him.:D

Lonny