first time semi long range rifle/cal?

slammedsi

I'm looking to purchase a new Semi-long range rifle. Out to 500-700 yards on paper. I mainly want to know of a good cal to start looking at, as i really like the Remington 700 Action (But im open to other options). I do reload so ammo cost is no problem. I started looking at the standard stuff 7mm mag, 280 rem, and 300 win. I like the 6.5 creedmoor so that might be an option. What is yalls thoughts?

bamaranger

long range

Well, 500-700 IS long range for lots of folks, including me.

To start, since you like Rem's, I'd consider one of the across the counter heavy barrels, I can't keep up with the various 700 models anymore.

For caliber I'd look at .308. If Rem puts a fast twist barrel in one of the assorted 700, in .223 caliber, a heavy match .223 slug could go to 600 pretty easily.

Don't scrimp on optics, pay at least as much for the scope as for the rifle.
Ammo, brass and components easily available.

If you like it, you can upgrade after you've shot LR a bit.

slammedsi

Glass would be by night force. I really wish Remington chambered there 700 in 6.5x284. Would even entertain a 260 rem. I will most likely go with a over the counter rem. After all im not looking to set world records here. Just have fun with friends on our private range.

mehavey

I know the OP favored Remington 700, but Remington also indicates they've discontinued the majority of their 6.5 line. Since absolutely nothing beats the 6.5 caliber for range, I suggest the OP consider 'dropping a zero' and go with one of Winchester's Model 70s now coming out of their South Carolina plant -- in 264 WinMag.

As a reloader, the OP can load that cartridge up or down -- with a bullet selection that ranges from 100gr to 144gr (and a whopping 0.640 BC).

Last edited:

kraigwy

I like the 6.5 creedmoor so that might be an option. What is yalls thoughts?

Sounds to me you answered you own question. The Creedmoor is an excellent long range round, you like it, so use it.

Bart B.

While the 26 calibers seem to take most of the marbles with shoulder fired rifles in long range competition, the 30's do it in benchrest with free-recoiling rifle rigs. The 30's kicked the pants off the .338 Lapua's for long range accuracy (over 1000 yards) in recent sniper rifle qualification tests.

Savage probably makes the most accurate factory rifles these days. I'd give the nod to a Savage F class in 6.5x.284. Much easier to shoot accurately off the shoulder.

Stealth01

Cooper rifles, take your pick, and since you reload... 260 Remington pushing Lapua Scenar 123 Gr HPBTs or Sierra Match King 120 Gr HPBTs! This is my long range setup, Cooper 54 Varmint, 26 inch heavy barrel.

bba1f928.jpg

g20gunny

I shoot my 7mm mag out to 800 yards from time to time and the only benefiit over the old trusty 308 is much less drop (16" @ 800 with a 300 yard zero) accuracy is not how flat a bullet flies but how consistently it hits its target. Look for a 308 with a fast twist rate and load bullets with a high ballistic coficient like 180 berger vlds or hornady amax.

I love my 6.5mm creedmoor its insanely accurate right out of the box. Its the savage long range predator hunter 1-max. Has the accutrigger and accustock. If you don't want to buy a brand new rifle and then have to buy new stock and trigger I think savage is the way to go.

ndking1126

.260 Remington would be my first choice (I'm building one now), but a .243 shooting the heavy 100+ grainers with appropriate barrel twist would be an excellent option. 6.5 Creedmore would also be an excellent option, sounds like you've already looked into that. It's not too different than the .260 Remington.

The trusty old .308 will certainly get the job done, but with more recoil and more drop.

The larger calibers you mentioned will get the job done, but with a good bit more recoil. The only noteable advantage you will see with the larger calibers is more energy, but if you are only punching paper, there's not much reason to get those, IMO.

brotus2

I just bought a Savage 12 BVSS in .308 Win from a range buddy two weeks ago. It has the high polished silver 26" heavy fluted barrel and sports a silver Weaver CT-36 36x40 scope. The gun is beautiful. The really beautiful thing about the gun is its accuracy. Our range goes to 300 yards. I put three golf balls glued to tees up and took five shots the knock off all three. I paid $700 for it.

arizona98tj

Come on now...everyone knows that 3 ball groups don't count. ;) (j/k)

Sounds like a keeper for sure. And the $$ spent make it even a better deal, IMO.

tobnpr

Your choices are good. 6.5 (Creed, .260) are winners if you handload.

If you don't, go .308 so you have decent ammo selection.

.300 WM is unnecessary at that range, both in terms of cost to shoot, ability to hit the target, and punishment on your shoulder.

chucknbach

I've shot steel out to 900 yds with my .243. Paper less than 1/2 MOA at 300. I've been just to lazy to set up a target past that. Hell some guys have been shooting their .22lrs out to 500 yds (not sure if they have enough left to go through paper though).

emcon5

I don't think there are any off the shelf heavy barrel Remingtons in 6.5 chamberings. Savage makes the M12 Long Range Precision in both .260 and 6.5 Creedmore.

That being said, if you are only shooting to ~700 yards, you will be fine with .308, which is readily available off the shelf from Remington.

hooligan1

Yeah man, that Savage is hard to beat,,,, But if your mind is set on a 700, look around for that Sendaro rifle, in the caliber you desire,,, ? (i'd go Savage dude that rifle is ready already);)