First Time Ruger Sr9 Experience.

dairycreek

Just for the heck of it I bought an OD Green SR9 yesterday. I just got back from the range and I thought I would review my experience. For the record, I am 71 years old and have a 71 year old set of eyes so deadeye marksmanship is, for me, not a major concern. I was accompanied to the range with my 44 year old son-in-law who is a phenomenal pistol shot.

We used Winchester White Box ammo - all of it FMJ. My personal standard of accuracy is a 9" paper plate at 25 yards and I was able to put 18 rounds into that paper plate with no problem at all. My son-in-law was able to achieve several 4" groups at 25 yards- again with not much trouble or much practice either.

At 7 yards I was able to put 5 rounds into 3 inches quite easily and my son-in-law was shooting cloverleaf groups at that distance.

All together we put about 300 rounds through the SR with no problems at all. For us the SR was pleasantly accurate and extraordinarily reliable.

A word about the trigger. I have several other striker fired pistols such as Glocks and XD's so I am basically familiar with the trigger action. I must say that the trigger on the SR was more than just a pleasant surprise.

The let off was both quick and crisp. Of course it wasn't a 1911 trigger but it was close enough so that I was really surprised. Not mushy at all. Reset on rapid fire was very short and positive.

Bottom line! For a $450.00 pistol the little Ruger SR is a really nice performer. Based on our experience with it today I sure do recommend it.

Would like to hear from other SR owners and shooters.

stillGHILLIE

I just picked my SR9 up this week. Having owned or owning several Glocks, XDs, an M&P and a Sigma or two, the internals of the SR9 are quite similar. The trigger pull on mine is a tad heavier than a Glock or XD, but it sure has the short reset and crisp let off of the XD. The trigger isn't objectionable to me at all, really. I walked out with the two tone SR9, 4 hi cap mags and a 10 rounder for $405 out the door. (it helps to have a good friend who owns the shop ;)) I only have a few rounds through it so far, but I am pretty impressed with it. Win. white box fmj at 25 yds were hitting point of aim from the box. Being very similar to a Glock trigger assy., I'm sure the same fluff and buff trigger treatment would help the SR9, but I am going to get some more rounds through it before I do anything as I have read that most smooth up even more with use. I like the SR9 at least as much as my Glocks/XDs...maybe even a tad more considering the price. :D

Beretta16

My father has one and I must say it is much more pleasant to shoot than any Glock I've shot, and slightly better than my friends XD in terms of trigger feel and accuracy. It's a great buy and the grip feels amazing!

stillGHILLIE

Here is a pic of her, along with my other pre-election inventory additions. I normally buy some ammo every other week on payday, and pick up some mags at the gun shows, but the possibility that the election may not go in the favor of gun owners prompted me to add some more things to the safe in short order. :)

DSC02507_edited-1.jpg