First time out with the A400

Rob228

I posted a few weeks ago about getting a new A400 and wanting to get back into the clay sports. I grew up shooting skeet twice a week with my dad, but the last time I went was probably in 1999.

I shot 4 rounds of trap yesterday and didn't do too hot. I was having to hold 3-4 feet underneath the birds to hit anything, and it looked like those hits were just barely on. A few other members watching confirmed that I was shooting high. I don't currently have access to a patterning board BUT my research did let me know that there isn't enough drop on the stock. FYI, when I mounted the gun I could see the full length of the ramp.

I switched to the larger of the shims that Beretta includes and now when I mount the gun I can only see the bead (and a bit of the receiver) but no ramp. Headed out again on Saturday to see if it fixed the height problem (I know I still have a lot to re-learn as far as fundamentals go)

Rob228

I was going by the manual which doesn't have the greatest pictures, but just to clarify, having them in sync means that I'm using the 65 metal, 65 plastic and that I can see 65DX (right handed) on each one when they are in place?

Thanks for the link too, definitely some good info.

FITASC

From the manual, "Reassembly":
Center the front spacer on the stock bolt tube. Make sure that the indicator showing the desired drop and cast is visible on the spacer.

Reposition the stock. Place the rear plate inside the stock. Make sure the same marking is visible on the plate.

So, you seem to have it correct.

Skeets

Member in memoriam
New A-400 Beretta

Rob,I'm sure you'll really like the new A-400 gas system.The preceding 391 Series was a beast! Break'em all.:eek:

Rob228

Went out again today having adjusted the stock. I also focused on having an identical mount each time I shouldered the gun. I was breaking a few more than I was missing, and the ones I was missing were ones that I was thinking about.

Upon further reflection, the majority of the ones that I missed were headed straight out, the ones that I used to think were the easy shots when I was shooting skeet (station 1 low house etc). Guessing I saw what I thought was an easy shot and lost focus on the fundamentals.

As far as the shotgun itself, 300 rounds in two weeks without a single issue (mixture of Federal and Winchester 1 1/8 ounce 1200 fps loads). Now that I'm hitting a few, I'm really liking it.

Rob228

A question I should have asked earlier but figured out on my own was "what chokes are typical for trap?" I recall when I was shooting skeet as a youngster I typically had an IC or Skeet choke, then after several misses where everything felt right, and realizing that I never once saw a clay get "dusted" while I was shooting trap it dawned on me that the longest shot in skeet is about the average shot from the 16 yard line and I tightened up to a modified from an improved cylinder. A few of those misses that felt like everything was right turned into hits today.

I shot with a guy last week and it was his second time to shoot hie new 400. Not the model with the blue receiver. Now this guy was a good shooter and shot a lot. He was smoking them and almost shot as well as he did with his tried and true Browning over under.

NoSecondBest

I'm going out to get one tomorrow. I haven't been able to decide between the blue receiver+1lb(Xcel) or the bronze-1lb model(Xplor). I just can't seem to get into liking the blue one. I'm thinking of the Xplor, giving up the one pound, and purchasing a weighted end cap from Briley to balance it out. I can always put some shot in the stock to add weight too. I wish the Xcel came in different colors.

Rob228

Mine is the Xplor (Bronze). Its going to see some upland use eventually so I wasn't too upset with loosing a pound. I'm with you on the blue, its just not quite.... right.

TMD

I messed up a few years ago and bought my wife an A400 Xcel. Now she out shoots me and won't let me touch her gun.

FITASC

Guess you need to get yourself one now!:D
I use the smurf gun AND added mag cap weights so that on a postal scale the gun is right at 8#

FITASC

5 flats? Well, if you don't shoot much, a month is about right......................:D

I have a Steelcase set of drawers; 10 drawers each hold 45 boxes of 12 of 54 of 20 and 28; and I do my best to keep it full...........;)

(When you need to rent a forklift or at least a pallet jack to move your ammo from the semi to the garage, then you know you're hooked!)

Rob228

I'm working up to that, I'm also going to start saving hulls just in case I come across the deal of a lifetime on a press, but I'm thinking Midway and Walmart are doing pretty well on loaded stuff. The next time I have 5 flats though, it'll probably be a week's worth, if only my club wasn't closed two days of the week.

Rob228

In the last two sessions I've been hitting a low of 22, high of 24. I alternated a few different chokes until I settled on the one that was giving me the most dust in each break (Briley extended Light Full). Now its time to make big piles of empties and get a few coached sessions.

Rob228

On the 2 24's I shot, it was an easy, straight away target from station 3 both times. Got a little too confident.

FITASC

I'm working up to that, I'm also going to start saving hulls just in case I come across the deal of a lifetime on a press, but I'm thinking Midway and Walmart are doing pretty well on loaded stuff. The next time I have 5 flats though, it'll probably be a week's worth, if only my club wasn't closed two days of the week.

IF you are going to do the reloading bit, then get yourself Remington ammo like Gun Clubs (or even better the STS or Nitros) these will load better than any Winchester, including their vaunted AA hulls. Ever since they changed styles, they suck in 12 and 20.

Cabela's run sales on flats - their Herter's brand are great for shooting - so-so on reloading life. Academy usually has RIOs or similar priced at about $55/flat with free shipping on orders over $25 or close to that amount.
By the time you calculate walmart pricing, buying online with shipping deals is less expensive.

Once you get the hang of trap, try skeet again, then 5-stand and sporting clays.
For practice, I reload 3/4oz in 12 and 20 - lets me get 533 rounds from a bag of shot and is very easy on the shoulder. No need for 1-1/8 oz on clay targets. Too many oldtimers have developed such bad flinches they need to use release triggers - even on semis!