first time out with ppq and sp2022

finally got a chance to shoot my two new pistols - Walther PPQ and Sig SP2022.

ergonomics
both are good, with the edge going to to the walther. they did a lot of research on that grip, and it paid off. very closely resembles the hk p30.

trigger
two totally different triggers. the walther's trigger is a very smooth and very light striker fire. a huge improvement over the glock and even xdm. it will feel more like the glock than the xdm, but much smoother.

the sig sa trigger is very short, but very gritty (even from someone used to shooting cz's) with a heavy break point. i did not much care for it. the break point was way too far back in my grip, making it very uncomfortable. all of my shots were jerks, and my grouping was very low.

sights
the ppq sights are nice and easy to acquire, but they look like they were an afterthought on the slide. the don't sit well up there. just awkward, and probably a snag point.

the siglite night sights are exactly what youre used to from sig. very nice.

summation
i will be keeping the ppq for sure. it may even be considered to be in the running as one of my bigger carry pieces (to replace the cz pcr) since it's little brother (the pps) is my primary carry piece.

i'll run a few hundred more rounds through the sig before i decide that it will be sold. who knows, maybe this is the first sig trigger that needs to be broken in.

sigarms228

Thanks for the nice report and congrats on the new pistols. :cool:

I also have a SIG SP2022 and a Walther PPQ.

My experience with My PPQ is pretty much the same as you reported.

My SP2022 is a German made model and my trigger is very nice and was from day one and typically what SP2022 owners report as their experience. Hopefully yours will smooth out. On my SP2022 if I rack the slide so it is ready to shoot and in SA mode, then while on target lightly press the trigger to take up the inital slack to where the trigger stops and I then proceed to press the trigger harder until it fires there is absolutely no creep/grit and never was.

I also agree that the trigger is a bit too far back to the firing point for me. I changed my trigger out from the "short" trigger to the standard trigger and I like that better.

For me the ergos are just perfect on my Walther PPQ with the large backstrap - a noticeable improvement over my SP2022.

IMO they are both great guns especially considering the investment cost. I do find myself taking my Walther PPQ more to the range these days than my SIG SP2022 though I certainly plan on keeping both.

jemsj4

Congrats on the new pistols

I have a few Sigs, including the Pro 2340, which is basically the the same only older & in 40 cal. It is much more accurate than my 226 Sigs. I don't remember my trigger being gritty, but then again, I got it 10 years ago.
Enjoy your guns!

mumbo719

i will be keeping the ppq for sure. it may even be considered to be in the running as one of my bigger carry pieces (to replace the cz pcr)

HERESY I SAY!

Just kiddin ;)

I think it's a sound decision to have the same controls on your daily CCW's.

I love Walther's as much as I love CZ's. Just trying to figure what my next "need" is a PPQ or an SP-01. Decisions, decisions :confused:

Martowski

I own both as well. The PPQ is outstanding; it's the one pistol I would keep out of the 16 I own if I could only have one.

Regarding the SP2022, mine in SA has a nice, clean and light trigger break. Break yours in for a couple hundred and maybe give the fire control parts a good cleaning and see what happens.

Both are excellent pistols, but the PPQ wins easily for me between the two.

Mrgunsngear

I've owned both and I just didn't like the SIGs trigger either. It never grew on me; fine gun otherwise. But, I don't like any of the standard P series triggers... the SRT triggers are a drastic improvement IMO.

balance

I own the PPQ and like it as well.

I've handled and shot a few Sigs, and all of them felt like quality pistols. If I wasn't a lefty, I would have probably already picked up an SP2022. There seems to be lots of praise by many people for both pistols.

Marquezj16

My SP2022 is also made in Germany. The trigger is really smooth, better than my P220.

Shoot yours more to see if it smooths up a little.

i haven't found a trigger i like better than the sig srt trigger on my p226 uspsa edition. i have one that ties it - cz shadow custom target. i even put it as better than the trigger on my colt gold cup.

Pilot

[google](to replace the cz pcr) since it's little brother (the pps) is my primary carry piece.[/quote]

So you're going to replace one of the best all around CCW, HD, and range guns because you also carry a PPS?

:confused:

balance

So you're going to replace one of the best all around CCW, HD, and range guns because you also carry a PPS?

I assume he wants to have similar controls and trigger types between his larger and smaller carry pieces.

WVsig

To me the SP2022 trigger is different than any other Sig. It is not the same design, trigger box, or feel as the P series pistols. It has a much longer DA pull with a SA which releases very close to the rear of its travel. It is IMHO very revolver like. Comparing it to a pre-cocked striker like the PPQ seems unfair to me.

All of that said I would be interested if the newer Exeter built SP2022s are not as clean from the factory in terms of trigger as their German counterparts. I have only shot German & Swiss versions of the Sig Pro line.

Keep shooting the SP2022 and let us know if it gets any better for you. If it doesn't sell it and move on. No reason to keep a pistol you do not like.

Martowski

My SP2022 is an Exeter gun. The DA pull is smooth but does stack a little in pressure towards the end. The SA pull is very crisp and breaks round 4 - 4.5 lbs.

Fishbed77

yes, the walther does resemble the HK p30...because the p30 came after the P99. Take away the factory stippling and the p30 is a P99

I find it funny how so many H&K P30 owners talk about the pistol and its ergonomics like it is such a revelation.

Nope - it's just a hammer-fired copy of the P99 with a worse trigger and a much higher price! :D